The secret to my success

As much as I hate a cryptic crossword - they are words that make me cross - I hate the word secret more.

Kudos to you Cliff for making everyone think :) Most people on SS love the challenge and the hunt and I bet Sim can find the search button getting a work out over the past 24hrs :rolleyes:

Some religions have the 12 commandments, I have the (let me count at the end)
- use your brain, not someone else's. Understand what you are doing to make informed decisions
- gentrification by govt (boganville to snobville if the govt improves an area by building a new school, new train station, new library, hospital etc then it increases the value and you pay $0)
- gentrification by private companies. Bunnings, Maccas, Coles and such amenities are popular and increases values and you pay $0
- new or near new dwellings - depreciation for which you pay $0 (well there is the cost of the report)
- develop to increase the profit/yield
- choose sites close to amenities (transport, city, shops, parks)
- understand fundamentals of good design, design codes, density zones
- believe, focus, strategize and achieve

How many was that? . OK 8 secrets to success.

As much as I hate a cryptic crossword - they are words that make me cross - I hate the word secret more.

Kudos to you Cliff for making everyone think :) Most people on SS love the challenge and the hunt and I bet Sim can find the search button getting a work out over the past 24hrs :rolleyes:

Some religions have the 12 commandments, I have the (let me count at the end)
- use your brain, not someone else's. Understand what you are doing to make informed decisions
- gentrification by govt (boganville to snobville if the govt improves an area by building a new school, new train station, new library, hospital etc then it increases the value and you pay $0)
- gentrification by private companies. Bunnings, Maccas, Coles and such amenities are popular and increases values and you pay $0
- new or near new dwellings - depreciation for which you pay $0 (well there is the cost of the report)
- develop to increase the profit/yield
- choose sites close to amenities (transport, city, shops, parks)
- understand fundamentals of good design, design codes, density zones
- believe, focus, strategize and achieve

How many was that? . OK 8 secrets to success.

Thanks WM, excellent, I would also add

9. Diversify, follow markets across Australia... supply vs demand, chase the rising markets for growth and development opportunities.

10. Network with the right people to find gems/great deals and get ahead of the crowd.

11. Follow/replicate what successful investors are doing, plenty of threads on SS .

I think it's a great idea , but ......

Cliff

yeah the but......

Maybe the secret to the 'but' is also out there.

The idea of Somersoft was not built on premise of the x-files 'its out there'.

If someone wants to keep proprietary knowledge to themselves. That's fine.
Everyone is entitled to it, its their knowledge base after all.

But then keep it to yourselves.

This whole thread sounds like the little kid in the playground who suddenly has found a source of candy, and wants to sound important.

Honestly cliff with your educational background, this whole thread is beneath you.

IV, I think SC did post his 3 secrets and then deleted that post. Probably he felt that he is giving away too much information. But then the thread has became slightly different but I don't think it was his initial motive for starting this thread.

I feel that the message of this thread is - "Do your own research suitable for your strategy". Rixter always ask the newbies "what is your strategy?". If that is the first step, how to research is the second step.

This whole thread sounds like the little kid in the playground who suddenly has found a source of candy, and wants to sound important.

Honestly cliff with your educational background, this whole thread is beneath you.

Actually the most important thing of education , IMHO , is getting people to think for them selves . If you remain ignorant , how can you judge whether what you are being told is the truth ?

Another thought . Many people learn in different ways . Some are good at being told. Some have to work things out for themselves .

Last edited:
I was curious to see what was in Ecclesiates 3:1-8

Turned into one of my favorite songs , and I must admit I really did like the X-files .

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

As they say there is a time for everything ,

I think what i'm trying to do is covered under some of that

Cliff

IV, I think SC did post his 3 secrets and then deleted that post. Probably he felt that he is giving away too much information. But then the thread has became slightly different but I don't think it was his initial motive for starting this thread.

I feel that the message of this thread is - "Do your own research suitable for your strategy". Rixter always ask the newbies "what is your strategy?". If that is the first step, how to research is the second step.

Good point!
Timely thread for me!
Good reminder to diversify and get into shares.
Keith's post is great.
I spent half my day yesterday doing property related stuff instead of carrying out my plans of painting the garage floor. My easiest task was sorting out paperwork for a tenant that has given me notice that I self manage. Then I get an email from new PM who has taken over from another PM stating stuff like - your smoke alarms aren't compliant, your pool safety certificate is expired so you can't offer tenants a new lease, their is no details of occupants residing in your property. I recently found out one tenant is residing in garage while renting out the rest of the house.... As I'm sorting through PM correspondence my bank manager calls requesting paperwork for refinance. More fun for a Friday arvo. Ok, I'm not going to stress that he's just informed me they will be doing a full inspection of the property with new PM and god knows who residing there until the ATO starts giving me a box to tick on my tax return for a deduction for when 'stuff that causes lots of stress' happens....back to working on my strategy and what works for me!

yeah the but......

Maybe the secret to the 'but' is also out there.

The idea of Somersoft was not built on premise of the x-files 'its out there'.

If someone wants to keep proprietary knowledge to themselves. That's fine.
Everyone is entitled to it, its their knowledge base after all.

But then keep it to yourselves.

May seem a bit like this......but I don't believe this is the intension of this thread.

Some members are providing lots of information on their strategies, many gems, good to share and learn.

Rixter shared his secret.. though I don't like to call it a "secret" because it conjures up a notion of exclusivity, great if you are selling books. I prefer to call it plan/strategy ...... it's clearly written in LARGE FONT at the bottom of Rixters signature.

MTR:)

It is a fun thread...

I'm looking back at what has worked (done well but not independently wealthy yet) and also forward.

I always use a combo of falling/low vacancies, falling stock on market, low construction rates, increasing population, new infrastructure etc plus reducing time to sell and increasing auction clearance are also good but the first two seem very reliable. Auction clearance rates get the press but not all markets use auctions so much. Low vacancies and low stock after a long flat run, when sentiment is poor seems to be a great combo for low risk entry points (in my system anyway).

knight
That sounds good, I like the low stock and high demand for an area, its got to be a winner, it can only go one way.

My recent strategy has been to identify areas with good infrastructure that is currently earmarked for rezoning, if rezoning is a few years off I just buy and flip after 12 months because they are in hot demand, once again low stock, supply vs demand. The properties where zoning is perhaps 6-12 months off I keep and develop 3 unit sites and now moving towards apartments, sweet spot end value apartments is $450-500K.

knight
That sounds good, I like the low stock and high demand for an area, its got to be a winner, it can only go one way.

My recent strategy has been to identify areas with good infrastructure that is currently earmarked for rezoning, if rezoning is a few years off I just buy and flip after 12 months because they are in hot demand, once again low stock, supply vs demand. The properties where zoning is perhaps 6-12 months off I keep and develop 3 unit sites and now moving towards apartments, sweet spot end value apartments is $450-500K.

Great strategy MTR with lots of active equity building in there too.

How do you specifically measure demand?

Actually the most important thing of education , IMHO , is getting people to think for them selves . If you remain ignorant , how can you judge whether what you are being told is the truth ?

Another thought . Many people learn in different ways . Some are good at being told. Some have to work things out for themselves .

I believe a long time past SS member going by the nick of The Wife, posted the secret years ago in This CLASSIC post.

I suggest people read it, save it and/or print it out.

It is SS GOLD.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Great strategy MTR with lots of active equity building in there too.

How do you specifically measure demand?

Its so tough... not...:)
Contact Council in metro areas of interest, find out what their zoning plans are for the future, speak to Planners they will give you this information and view their maps outlining precincts for rezoning.

Once you have identified suitable areas then get onto realestate.com, if everything is UNDER OFFER, then bingo, its hot. Contact RE agents at least 3, get onto their data bases, meet with them and start networking so you are number 1 of their list. Make sure you are ready to pull the trigger (cashed up) in a hot market otherwise your competition will wipe you out.

Just read that post. Brilliant. Love the use of fishing as an analogy and how it gives you so much to think about. Now to make a digital and paper copy.

I believe a long time past SS member going by the nick of The Wife, posted the secret years ago in This CLASSIC post.

I suggest people read it, save it and/or print it out.

Its is SS GOLD.

Enjoy!

Back