the unbelievable gall of some ex-tenants

oh well there you go - go around doing as you please, if you can't afford the bill at the end of it then it's not your problem

Never a truer word was spoken! (or typed, in this case!)

Wonder how many $$$ the tenants sloshed around booze at the parties!

What happened to the good old days when you could just pay someone $50 to beat them up each week until they cough up ....

Yeah,...so true............Now with GST its really hard to find these guys with ABN numbers
Though you could get the PM to dress up as a thug during inspections

the ex-tenants came back and offered me $2900 (including bond) - citing that was all they could afford and not all the rooms were destroyed.

i knocked it back - but did lower my demand by 15% to cover the 3 small bedrooms that could've been rescued with a clean, by 15% depreciation (18mths), and the cost of cleaning. so dropped my demand down to $4500 (including bond) - $650 per tenant..

haven't heard a reply - not that i expect one. hubby is insisting i should've taken the $2900, but i don't see why i should just give away $2000 and that they should get away with what they have done when the evidence is so clear for all to see if it goes to court.

pm knows all the judges, and how they tend to respond, so if she gets a bad one then she'll have a sickie and get posponed until we get a goodie.

If they can afford to cause damage then they can afford to pay for it . Get them to pay additional amounts over the next few months........maybe they will be forced to hold a few less parties at their next rental to help pay

If they can afford to cause damage then they can afford to pay for it . Get them to pay additional amounts over the next few months........maybe they will be forced to hold a few less parties at their next rental to help pay

personally i'd prefer they'd pay upfront - but i'm not against getting their wages garnished for incriment payments. just waiting to hear a tribunal date.

Good grief! How appalling that they should treat your property like this. Tis disgraceful. And having to go thru all the court stuff, just to get a fair deal.

I did a property inspection for an out of town friend, and discovered one of the chair cushions had been ripped by the tenant and mended with sticky tape. I wouldn't have known had I not turned over the cushion, because it had been put on the chair up side down. When I pointed it out to the then ex-tenant, she just said it had been a fabric repair. Where on earth is the owner going to match that fabric? What a hide some of these tenants have!

Good luck with it Lizzie.

i'm so p*ssed.

had tribunal today. we were forced into mediation again and the ex-tenants sat their like smug little piles of poop who hadn't done a thing wrong. they basically called myself, pm, the carpet layer and the neighbour all liars.

next time definately goes to the judge.

i am so furious. i'm not even asking the full replacement cost of the carpet. i had to recarpet the entire house as putting in new carpet against worn stuff would've look rubbish in a near new dwelling - all i'm asking is that they pay the cost for the rooms that were damaged beyond repair less depreciation, yet they are refusing to pay even that.

they were denying that they ever had a party (yeah right - 4 male uni students!). they claimed that the photographic proof could've been taken anywhere (what the?). they do admit there were permanent stains, but in only half the number of rooms that there actually were ...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

But Lizzie, did you get awarded any money from them?

I blame the stupid do-gooder tribunal judge for stupid rulings in the tenants favour. I wouldn't mind being found at fault if I actually WAS at fault for things that go wrong.

I've just got one that has been evicted from a renovated property after damaging it & not paying rent. Looks like they will get off scott free.:mad: "The poor little darlings have children you know." We just cleaned up all their mess as well as the empty boxes from their Christmas presents which included a new super-duper TV & DVD player that they got from MYER (tags were on the box). Essentially we paid for it as they haven't paid for a long time. Well you know what? Landlords have children too.

Sorry rant off. I could go on for hours.

But Lizzie, did you get awarded any money from them?

it didn't get before the judge because of the forced mediation - but the file has been marked that no more mediation required.

i'm so so angry because they were trying to put the blame everywhere else but them, and off the cuff rejected my "very reasonable" dollar figure of what i expect as compensation with no explaination as to why, or no counter figure.

they flat out called my pm a liar. she is exceptionally honest and respectful, and was so insulted and angry (combined with their arrogance beforehand) that she burst out crying and had to leave the room. i was just so angry and told the kid - yes they are young enough to be my kids - to pull his head in. to which he replied "you're not my mother". to damm right - if they were mine he'd get a box around the ears before he could get out of the chair.

i told them what the elderly neighbour had told me about the parties etc and they called the neighbour a liar - why would a 70odd year old neighbour come over when i was cleaning the place to tell me all that went on if it weren't true?

obviously this is my first time with tenants such as these - and hopefully the last. it's just caught me that people can be so dishonest and smary when i bent over backwards for them as a landlord. unfortunately because i am honest and like to think i'm fair, respectful and just, that i expect to be treated the same. more fool me.

hopefully when logically presented before the judge next time, i'll be compensated.

may bad karma destroy them all!!!

may bad karma destroy them all!!!

Yep!

My recently ex-tenant has a very sick child. While I don't wish that upon anyone, maybe that is just their karma kicking in.

Here's another one:

The last one that I had evicted was a right pain in the a#$e. Left a whole house full of crappy furniture for me to dispose of, while the stuff she wanted to keep was stored with one of the neighbours. I had many witness including the Sheriff that heard her tell me to send it to the tip. They had to stay with friends until their emergency accommodation came up.

I got a phone call from my PM who was laughing her head off. She had been contacted by my ex-tenant wanting to know if we had disposed of her old stuff as she now needed it. Apparently the neighbour had moved and had taken all her good stuff with her leaving no forwarding address. She was left with nothing. Not to mention, she got a house from the Housing Department which was in a very bad condition as they didn't want to put someone who they know has a history of non payment into a good house.

when you become a resi landlord it seems you become a friend, mother, tradesmen, psychologist, accountant, rich capitalist, impoverished mortgage holder....

(yeah right - 4 male uni students!). :

I just wondering why the PM would rent your near new house to 4 male Uni students - isn't that asking for trouble? Maybe you need to be more selective.

Good luck with the tribunal.

Bazza

oh skater - than one about the furniture was so funny. i laughed out loud.

i also had a tenant due a runner - fortunately bond covered back rent and cleaning - leaving all her cruddy furniture behind. it was taken to the tip or given to charity, and then she tried to sue me for the cost of replacement.

at the end of the day she never turned up at court so there was no case for me to answer.

i think was really gets me about these young guys that i'm dealing with is that they are all respectable young men - one is even training in law - and they are not untelligent, yet they seem to have no concience or sense of responsibility.

after all - it's just a rental ... :eek:

Can I join the rant too? !!!

Today at Tribunal the Director told us we have to pay for all the costs for evicting, sheriff fees and moving truck. All we are entitled to are the storage fees.
This woman gets evicted and social services provide her with everything again.
All we have is the furniture that we may get some of our costs back if sold.
We have to store a tenants belongings for 60 days here.

Of course last month we were ordered to pay for the flight of our ex tenant ($1143) because they were summoned to appear for damaging our property.
The judge was their daddy's lawyers partner.
Talk about biased.

unbelievable kd - basically you had to pay them for the priviledge of trashing your place! not good for one's blood pressure at all. no where else in society are we allowed to damage or destroy or steal someone else's property and get away scot free ... makes you wonder why we do ip investing sometimes.

ah, that's right. when they are barely surviving on baked beans with a pension at age 60, we'll be off sunning in the bahama's.

just as well for the other half dozen good tenants ... :eek:

my pm is sending out some wonderful thoughts to the universe that when these young fellas finally invest, they will have a house trashed as well ... at least they will potentially be in a situation for it to happen in the future.

what goes around comes around ...

Gee, Kathryn, that is rough.

Like Lizzie said, there are some days when I wonder why I do this. If their rent is $200pw & they don't pay, they are effectively stealing $200pw from me. If they went & robbed a store etc for that amount, you could have them arrested. Why are they allowed to get away with it.:mad:

Lizzie - I have been reading this thread with interest wondering what happened but I missed it! So the mediation is done - did they pay? What is the outcome? How much did they pay?

As a tenant I almost went to mediation over $80 - I did it just for the sport of it because I thought the PM was an arrogant, 2 faced .... uno .....

we were forced into two lots of mediation - both unsuccessful because the tenants (after beating around the bush and getting off track at every moment) claim that only two rooms had serious staining and they are only prepared to pay for the two rooms - when, infact, there were four rooms that were beyond help. this is where their claims of the pm, myself and carpet layer lying come in. they also claimed they never had parties or used to jump the fence instead of using the gate, which is where the elderly neighbour is apparently lying ... and makes me wonder if the full height broken window out the front that i paid to be repaired same day was really caused by a random beer bottle thrown over the fence, or was someone leaping it.

anyhow, they are offering $2,900, whereas i am after around $4,300. i had to recarpet the entire house, as putting new carpet up against worn would've looked really bad in this type of house - and even the worn carpet was excessively worn (imo) for 12 months of use ... it actually cost me $6,500 ... so i think asking that they only pay for the destroyed rooms, less depreciation, is very reasonable.

next step is to go before the member (judge) to put our cases forward.

Hope you do well in the next round with the judge. I really HATE bad tenants. They certainly get away with too much.

Back