UBS: Aust Residential Affordability

This might be interesting:

Australian Economic Perspectives Scott Haslem...................................
Economist
George Tharenou............................
Economist
Alvin Pontoh...............................
Economist
H.ousing affordability to hit a decade high Overview
This week we look at Australian housing affordability, both from the perspective of servicing
costs (the mortgage repayment share of household disposable income), as well as the more
internationally comparable house price to income ratio.
We find that under our baseline assumption of a 7½% peak-to-trough fall in Australian house
prices and a cash rate of 2% – with household income growth strong due to lower mortgage
repayments and government cash hand-outs – that housing affordability will improve very
sharply to a decade high by year-end.
Indeed, it is the strength of these policy measures, which both reduce servicing costs and
underpin disposable income that allows affordability to improve under our ‘short & sharp’
recession outlook (involving relatively orderly deleveraging).
Sharply lower mortgage rates see servicing costs improve (fall) to their best level since the mid-
90s. For the house price to income ratio, the RBA’s measure (having peaked at 5.75) should fall
to 4. This would be the lowest ratio since the start of the decade, and sees us no longer sharply
above the top of the international range.
We also run some weaker economic scenarios, with a rise in the unemployment rate to 8% and
10% (and a 15% peak-to-trough fall in house prices), to assess how affordability would change.
The improvement proves robust, though clearly our forecast affordability-induced pick-up in
housing activity through 09/10 would be much less significant, or likely falter, in the face of such
high unemployment rates.
-

This analysis is from a group of Swiss gnomes who have taken one of the most profitable banks in the world and are now on the brink of insolvency.

UBS is also facing serious tax evasion charges in the U.S. because of 52,000 Americans that have their money tied up in tax advoidance schemes.

UBS has lost billions of shareholders funds because of their investments in the subprime debacle. I think their ability to advise others on the suitability of property investing in Australia should ring alarm bells.

Yep, as expected, don't challenge the merits of the argument just attack the author.

Lame...

Cheers,
Michael

PS Chiliaa, got a link to the report?

2 short articles from Terry Ryder that I noticed this morning.

By Terry Ryder, 26th February 2009

Property investors concerned about dire predictions from economists are advised to ignore forecasts and concentrate on the actual events as they unfold. In most cases, the numbers delivered are considerably better than the pessimistic forecasts.

To date we have official data on real estate construction, property prices, mortgage lending, retail spending and unemployment which has been a lot more positive than the prior predictions from economists. Each announcement of actual statistics is greeted with surprise, even dismay, as economists seek to cover their tracks (which are littered with inaccurate forecasts).

The latest to emerge this week was “a surprise increase” in construction activity around Australia. The concensus among economists before the data release was that construction activity in the December quarter would fall about 3%. In fact, the figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show that construction activity rose 1.7%.

The “better-than-expected” result was under-pinned by a 3.6% increase in engineering work and 1.3% in commercial construction.

As one economist grudgingly admitted: “This is just another one of those indicators which has been a touch firmer than most expected.” By “most” he means most economists, including those who recognize that the easiest way to get their names in newspapers is to make a dire prediction about something.

We were told to expect a decline in retail spending in the December quarter but it rose strongly. Economists have predicted a massive blow-out in unemployment but it has yet to be delivered.

Some economists predicted property values would fall 10%, 20%, even 40% - but in the December quarter the weighted average across the eight capital cities was a fall of just 0.8%. Prices actually rose in some cities and the news from most capitals early in 2009 is that prices are rising in first-home buyer suburbs while declining in top-end markets.

The message for property investors is to concentrate on the figures that portray actual outcomes and ignore forecasts from the nation’s gaggle of confused economists. As they say, if you laid all the economists in the world end-to-end, they still wouldn’t reach a conclusion.

Housing affordability the best in five years; 39% rise in December quarter

By Terry Ryder, 17th February 2009

Multiple interest rates cuts and the boost to the First Home Owners Grant have pushed housing affordability conditions to their best levels in five years.

The latest HIA-CBA First Home Buyer Affordability Index reveals a 39.2% increase in the affordability measure in the December quarter. The Index leapt from 110.3 in the September quarter to 153.6 in the December quarter, the most affordable level since March 2003.

Over the last three months of 2008, the average home loan repayment fell by 26% to $2,056 per month, significantly lower than the previous amount of $2,796.

Further reductions in mortgage interest rates in the first quarter of this year are expected to yield another improvement in housing affordability in the next report. Official interest rates are now four percentage points lower than August 2008.

“Conditions have improved significantly for first-home buyers and clearly many Australians are taking up the opportunity to get into home ownership,” says HIA’s chief executive – policy Chris Lamont.

HIA economic modelling based on the Australian Bureau of Statistics’ Survey of Income and Housing 2005/06 confirms that 135,000 households on mortgages have come out of mortgage stress since December 2008.

“Previously a household would have to be earning in the order of $85,000 per year to afford a modestly priced home without going into severe mortgage stress,” says Lamont. “The improvement in housing affordability means those on a more modest income can now consider a home of their own.”

The HIA-CBA First Home Buyer Affordability Report showed that affordability improved over the December quarter in all capital cities and regional areas, with the largest improvements being for Perth, Brisbane, and Regional Western Australia.

Don't you think the source or the author of any opinion is relevant and valid. And that's all it is, an opinion.

If my 8yo daughter wrote a story about the Australian property market, it would be cute but entirely useless.

Yep, as expected, don't challenge the merits of the argument just attack the author.

Lame...

Cheers,
Michael

PS Chiliaa, got a link to the report?

Don't you think the source or the author of any opinion is relevant and valid. And that's all it is, an opinion.

If my 8yo daughter wrote a story about the Australian property market, it would be cute but entirely useless.

All economic forecasting is an opinion mate. As for the author, it was mentioned in the article, as to his credentials: i have no idea, but UBS is not likely to hire an 8yr old kid to be their economist:D

I think in the light of NRs apparent contempt for all authors that disagree with his world view MWs response is valid.

Actually it's not just NR with contempt for anyone that dares have a slightly gray view of the world.... :rolleyes:

All economic forecasting is an opinion mate. As for the author, it was mentioned in the article, as to his credentials: i have no idea, but UBS is not likely to hire an 8yr old kid to be their economist:D

No but if they did they would probably get it right more often:p

I think UBS is right in predicting a big rise in affordability, this happened in US and UK as well, inflation (CPI) is also a big factor in reducing or increasing affordability.
Also this morning the housing industry released the new home sale data at a +8.3% for january (the release is attached), please Shadow attach the chart to your list as that data is different then in other major countries :rolleyes:.
Funny that the AU$ was unchanged on the news and tanked 30 min later when company operating profit slumped by 6.5% (expected -1.7%).
Obviosly the market expected the construction industry to do well thanks of the government grants.
View attachment 2009-01 NHSS National Media Release.pdf

Boz do you know whats the difference between new home sales and pre-contract sales.
One is going up and the other is declining?
does that just mean stock of homes in finished construction went up? but new housing sales contracts went down?

This analysis is from a group of Swiss gnomes

I doesn't take a genius to figure out that serviceability will have improved significantly, considering that interest rates have halved and house prices have declined slightly. Even a Swiss gnome could work it out. If you can't work it out yourself then perhaps you have some way to go before attaining the comprehension level of a Swiss gnome... :D

Last edited:
I think there are so many assumptions in any investment decision. Sometimes you make assumptions without realising how big an assumption it is. Like property will be worth more in real terms in 10 years than it is now.

I read Warren Buffet's shareholder letter today, here are the bits I thought were interesting :

"...Indeed, the stupefying losses in mortgage-related securities came in large part because of flawed, history-based models used by salesmen, rating agencies and investors. These parties looked at loss experience
over periods when home prices rose only moderately and speculation in houses was negligible. They then made this experience a yardstick for evaluating future losses. They blissfully ignored the fact that house prices had
recently skyrocketed, loan practices had deteriorated and many buyers had opted for houses they couldn’t afford. In short, universe “past” and universe “current” had very different characteristics. But lenders, government and media largely failed to recognize this all-important fact.

Investors should be skeptical of history-based models.
The investment world has gone from underpricing risk to overpricing it. This change has not been minor; the pendulum has covered an extraordinary arc. A few years ago, it would have seemed unthinkable that yields like today’s could have been obtained on good-grade municipal or corporate bonds even while risk-free governments offered near-zero returns on short-term bonds and no better than a pittance on long-terms. When the financial history of this decade is written, it will surely speak of the Internet bubble of the late 1990s and the housing bubble of the early 2000s. But the U.S. Treasury bond bubble of late 2008 may be regarded as almost equally extraordinary.
Approval, though, is not the goal of investing. In fact, approval is often counter-productive because it sedates the brain and makes it less receptive to new facts or a re-examination of conclusions formed earlier. Beware the investment activity that produces applause; the great moves are usually greeted by yawns.
This debilitating spiral has spurred our government to take massive action. In poker terms, the Treasury and the Fed have gone “all in.” Economic medicine that was previously meted out by the cupful has recently been dispensed by the barrel. These once-unthinkable dosages will almost certainly bring on unwelcome aftereffects. Their precise nature is anyone’s guess, though one likely consequence is an onslaught of inflation. Moreover, major industries have become dependent on Federal assistance, and they will be followed by cities and states bearing mind-boggling requests. Weaning these entities from the public teat will be a political challenge. They won’t leave willingly.
This 1997-2000 fiasco should have served as a canary-in-the-coal-mine warning for the far-larger conventional housing market. But investors, government and rating agencies learned exactly nothing from the manufactured-home debacle. Instead, in an eerie rerun of that disaster, the same mistakes were repeated with conventional homes in the 2004-07 period: Lenders happily made loans that borrowers couldn’t repay out of their
incomes, and borrowers just as happily signed up to meet those payments. Both parties counted on “house-price appreciation” to make this otherwise impossible arrangement work. It was Scarlett O’Hara all over again: “I’ll
think about it tomorrow.” The consequences of this behavior are now reverberating through every corner of our economy.
Commentary about the current housing crisis often ignores the crucial fact that most foreclosures do not occur because a house is worth less than its mortgage (so-called “upside-down” loans). Rather, foreclosures take place because borrowers can’t pay the monthly payment that they agreed to pay. Homeowners who have made a meaningful down-payment – derived from savings and not from other borrowing – seldom walk away from a primary residence simply because its value today is less than the mortgage. Instead, they walk when they can’t make the monthly payments."

Boz do you know whats the difference between new home sales and pre-contract sales.
One is going up and the other is declining?
does that just mean stock of homes in finished construction went up? but new housing sales contracts went down?

Not really,
I guess the home industry would have inventory reduction to reduce debt. In any case from the chart you can see building approval are still much more then home sales. Probably an approval number minor to sale number would certainly lead to undersupply of home (still quite far from happening)

I doesn't take a genius to figure out that serviceability will have improved significantly, considering that interest rates have halved and house prices have declined slightly. Even a swiss gnome could work it out. If you can't work it out yourself then perhaps you have some way to go before attaining the comprehension level of a swiss gnome... :D

Agreed. The recession is bringing about incredibly low rates and putting downward pressure on house prices.

However, this "improvement" as a result of a recessionary environment until 2010 isn't exactly worthy of celebrating in my view. If housing affordability retreats from the sharp end only because the real economy is tanking, the cure ain't much more fun than the disease.

BTW, why isn't anyone disputing their suggestion we have an affordability problem in the first place or that income to house prices is a reasonable international proxy ;)

House price to income ratio

BTW, why isn't anyone disputing their suggestion we have an affordability problem in the first place or that income to house prices is a reasonable international proxy ;)
Did they say we had a problem in the first place? I only thought they said it had improved substantially...

You don't have to have a problem to show improvement.

;)
Michael

Life is not about being popular, life is about change and adapting to it.

I think in the light of NRs apparent contempt for all authors that disagree with his world view MWs response is valid.

Actually it's not just NR with contempt for anyone that dares have a slightly gray view of the world.... :rolleyes:

I think that NR is one of those people who isn't reasonable. People who are reasonable float along in life happy not to upset the apple cart. Real change and progress is dependent on unreasonable people....:D

Did they say we had a problem in the first place? I only thought they said it had improved substantially...

You don't have to have a problem to show improvement.

;)
Michael

Oh, so they mean the top of the international range in a "good way" :p
This would be the lowest ratio since the start of the decade, and sees us no longer sharply above the top of the international range

I think that NR is one of those people who isn't reasonable. People who are reasonable float along in life happy not to upset the apple cart. Real change and progress is dependent on unreasonable people....:D

Thats very true. Just as im sure that when property does turn around( whenever that is). There will be a mad rush of new members on that " other site" that cant wait to stick it to them. Ah the circle of life continues.:rolleyes:

Back