Us Oficially In Recession.

wont be a technical recession either - jobs going, tumbling asset prices, cost of living skyrocketing comparitively (although - the US have it pretty cheap anyway).

that said, the article says that 3Q was nearly no growth, and 4Q looking to be negative.

that's 1Q of neg growth, not 2Q consecutively.

see my point about bandying about the "R" word...?

the article says that 3Q was nearly no growth
No, it says "probably showing essentially no growth at all", meaning it's not known for sure yet. "Probably no growth at all" could easily become negative growth once the figures are known, so by the time 4Q figures are known next year, the economy could have been in recession since July.

GP

Let's throw a recession party when it happens here. Recessions can be a great opportunity to increase your wealth!

Of course we'll have to tighten our belts and eat potato chips and soft drinks instead of dips and champagne :)

Let's throw a recession party when it happens here. Recessions can be a great opportunity to increase your wealth!

Of course we'll have to tighten our belts and eat potato chips and soft drinks instead of dips and champagne :)

Whats black & eats chips???? ........half of USA shortly ;)

How do we increase our wealth when there is recession? :confused:

How do we increase our wealth when there is recession? :confused:

Isn't it that old saying, "You make your profit when you buy". There's lots of cheap assets out there waiting to get snapped up.

There's alot of money that has left the stock market and is going to be looking for a home. There's going to be a wave of demand heading towards property.

Housing demand isn't going to abate and rental demand will still be high. Yields will continue to improve.

And the share market is cheap, cheap, but I think there's still a bit more pain to be had. The ASX 200 under 4000 is looking very strong right now.

There's alot of money that has left the stock market and is going to be looking for a home. There's going to be a wave of demand heading towards property.

Housing demand isn't going to abate and rental demand will still be high. Yields will continue to improve.

And the share market is cheap, cheap, but I think there's still a bit more pain to be had. The ASX 200 under 4000 is looking very strong right now.

you can't say with ANY certainty that that money is headed towards property - this is a 1:25 year storm and all bets are off. a lot of people are just parked in cash, happy to not make money for the security of not losing - but clearly they haven't heard of "inflation".

housing demand HAS abated - the only thing that may cause some prices to stabilise / move (in general, not on a micro level) is the new FHB incentives - which are pretty decent.

yields will improve as prices fall along with interest rates - i don;t see many rent rises over the next 6 months unless what is currently under contract is undervalued comparitively.

a lot of people are just parked in cash, happy to not make money for the security of not losing - but clearly they haven't heard of "inflation".
Or they have heard of it and have decided that for now, the interest rate is more than compensating for inflation, and that a small gain - or even a slow erosion over time - is better than losing 20%-50% in a few months, as many have done on the stock market and I believe at least some have done in property (although perhaps over a few years rather than months).

And remember, cash is about as liquid as things come. Being in cash is not a commandment etched in stone to be followed unto the end of time. When cash is considered to be not as good as other investments, both in relation to return and risk, it's quick and easy to change.

GP

Try right now...not going to be.

We're feeling the joyful effects of this now and it's bl00dy fantastic. It's had a real boost in the last month or two. Strong demand from both OO's and investors. Rents going crazy.

Dazz,

from my understanding and reading, not only are rents going up, but Perth has been named the world's tightest office market. It has a vacancy rate of just 0.3% according to research by Colliers International. Not sure about sheds, but you've already done the hard yards by way of DD, and taking action to add value with your sweat and spring cleaning :p of assets and tenants.

Perth was also the highest ranking of the Australian cities for having the highest average A grade office rents.

Your commitment to "doing" will now bear fruit. May they all ripen for you as you wish ;)

It is indeed a good time Player. It's why I get frustrated and probably come across as a bit skew-if when I constantly read about 'markets crashing' and 'the property market is dead or falling' when we are experiencing the exact opposite.

For us at least, it just highlights that when dealing with individual title deeds, speaking generally of the market is fraught with error and danger, that can cost you massively in lost opportunities.

Ditching the job has been booked, and communicated to the boss for early next year. This property investing is worthwhile.

Unemployed bankers

Even with the soft financial depression upon us Dazz you have found a sweet spot. Those shirts who said they will review your portfolio early next year will probably not have a job by then:)

It was Alan Bond who said if you owe the bank 5 million you don't sleep too well. If you owe the bank 500 million then its the bankers who don't sleep.

I see that Adelaide also has a shortage of Industrial rental properties. You just keep landing on your feet.

Back