Victorian Police Force as a career

Thank you everybody for all the feedback.

I have a yearning to make a difference, I enjoy helping people.
Cheers

GG

If that is really what you want to do, I would be cautious about moving into an "institutional" type job, like the police force. The amount that you can help people is often limited by rules/ regulations/ staff shortages etc. So, its tantalisingly close to making a difference, yet not quite there..... very frustrating.
Often its easier to make a difference in the private sector, even though there is a profit motive.... theres alot more flexibility. Coming from the healthcare background, thats certainly been my experience anyway. I may be on the "dark side" trying to make money in health, but my impact on peoples lives is far greater than it would be working in the public hospitals or community services.

What "pulls your heartstrings" when it comes to making a difference in peoples lives. usually we have some particular areas which really impact us emotionally. That could also help to focus you on particular vocations.

maybe take some time over Christmas to really think through what it is that you want to do and want to achieve........

cheers
Pen

What "pulls your heartstrings" when it comes to making a difference in peoples lives. usually we have some particular areas which really impact us emotionally. That could also help to focus you on particular vocations.

cheers
Pen

In one word, KIDS!!!!

I'm a scout leader, that's a start:D

GG

The years my kids spent in the Scout movement were some of the best in thier lifes. My daughter went to two Jamborrees, my son to one. My nephew also went to two Jamborree's. He got the Scouts medallion, ( think that is it) can't wait to his presentation early in 2011.

I still think go for the Police force if that is your desire. There are so many career paths you could pursue related to kids.

Thank you everybody for all the feedback.

I have a yearning to make a difference, I enjoy helping people. I have been in retail for 20 years, I know the "general public", i know how nice they can be and how horrible some people can be.

My biggest fear is the academic side of things, it's been a long time since i have written a 2 page essay :eek:

As suggested by OO, there are a lot of courses out there to do before hand.

Cheers

GG

I agree with the advice of others.

As silly as it sounds, an average Joe copper spends most of their time responding to problem persons, rather than helping the good people in society.

There is little spare time to help people, as there is enough crap out there to keep them busy. Coppers are time poor. This is why the only time a decent person sees a copper is in the fast food drive through, or when they’re being issued with a ticket. In some ways, that's not a bad thing. That means that the good people are not having their lives affected by the odd, perverted, and violent.

Perhaps you might be suitable for a slower paced role in a rural community where you get to play a greater role in the community. They can be a rewarding role, and you can really assist these communities and their children.

You also lose your naivety when you commence a career as a police officer. You're on alert as you walk to your car from work. You don't drive straight home if someone has been driving behind you for too long. You end up not trusting any one until they prove otherwise. Sometimes naivety would be bliss. It would be nice not to have to tape and film your every movement and conversation.

It can be hard on partners/loved ones who knew you before hand as you're bound to change, especially when you throw shift work into the equation.

Don’t worry about essays. As a recruit or junior officer, it’s just like wearing P plates whilst driving. You’re not an expert, but you meet the minimum requirements to continue to develop and learn on your own.

You can do it mate. People will always need a hand to help them up. I think you’ve got something to offer these people.

In one word, KIDS!!!!

I'm a scout leader, that's a start:D

GG

Interesting.. when I read Sheryn's post, I thought "GG would probably make a great teacher........ "
Have you considered that as an option?
I think teachers have a huge opportunity to influence kids and make a difference. and we definitely need more male teachers in our schools. I'm really grateful that our kids schools have at least one male teacher in nearly every grade. It has made a big difference in the life of my slightly overactive son over the years! But our school is definitely not the norm. My brother was considering retraining as a teacher because there was not one male teacher in their primary school!
Depending upon your industry experience/ qualifications, there are "shortcuts" to qualify as a teacher.
http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/edulib.../Technology_Teaching-Teach_Today_Brochure.pdf
If your motivation is to make a difference in the lives of kids, I don't think you could go past becoming a teacher.......... its probably more dangerous than becoming a police officer though!! ;)

cheers
Pen

Interesting.. when I read Sheryn's post, I thought "GG would probably make a great teacher........ "
Have you considered that as an option?

i agree - especially males primary school teachers seem to be distinctly lacking, and this is a time in a young boy's life when he needs positive role models ... especially those in single parent households. added bonus is that you get school holidays at home. i won't say you get the holidays "off" as any good teacher is spending a portion of that time working on "school stuff".

or alternatively, a job with docs (that would be heart wrenching, imo), or social worker.

there are numerous other jobs that allow a greater ability to "help" without disrupting your family life to such a degree - and stressing your wife every time you walk out the door to go to work.

My biggest fear is the academic side of things, it's been a long time since i have written a 2 page essay :eek:/QUOTE]

GG, just think of your essay as starting a thread on SS or writing a response to a post. You will do fine.
I was just wondering how the hours away from the family would impact, but many others manage to combine work and job in a satisfactory level. I would be thinking that you have to feel good about getting up each morning or the whole family will suffer eventually. And if a change will create that, then it will be a matter of just "moving your cheese".

Frizzle.

My husband was a police officer with the WA Police for 7yrs....he left in 2007. He was sick of being spat on, hit, sworn at and abused by his "customers", not to mention the numerous times he had to endure the wait for Hepatitis/HIV test results after being assaulted and contaminated with criminals blood/saliva etc. He loved some aspects of his job (such as being a Crash investigator), but the work hours are terrible for a young family (esp. if you are an involved dad). He would often have split days off, and struggle to get leave when we wanted it. He got incredibly frustrated with the court system after spend hours and hours putting together a case only to have a miniscule or suspended sentence handed down. The paperwork is MASSIVE, and has to be court perfect. If you make a mistake there is very little support from "above". As a rule, the general public that you deal with on a day to day basis don't like you, and most of your work is with society's "lowest common denominator".

Sound bad? My husband went in positive, enthusiastic and wanting to "make a difference" and came out disillusioned and negative. Morale in the police service is very low and the recruitment bar has being seriously lowered in recent years in an attempt to recruit more police - in WA at least they imported a number of Police from the UK to fill the gaps. Many, many of his collegues have left in recent years also.

Since leaving he has struggled to fill the gap the Police Service left, he has missed the "adrenalin" of policing, the fact you go to work everyday and dont know what is coming - most older officers are well and truly over the rush!

Anyway, he recently was accepted and graduated as a Fire-fighter and is LOVING it. Still an emergency service, but much more community minded, a more positive role in the community, family friendly hours and such a positive vibe in the work-force.

I guess I just wanted to give you another perspective. I'm sorry to sound so negative, but that is how we experienced it and it was such a shame as it was his dream job, and he worked really hard to get in. Do you know any police? Maybe ask them about their experiences? Sometimes you just have to give these things a go to see for yourself, but be prepared that it is not always rosey, and you are often dealing with people at their worst

Cheers,
Nadia

Thank you Nadia and everybody else for your feedback.

I want this change for myself, I need to do something differant and make a differance. And I guess I want a more secure job for the future of my family.

But my second reason for this change, is my kids. I want them to be proud of their Dad, not that they aren't now :)

I'm a Hardware shop manager, I want more for mydelf and I want more for them to look up to. Not that their is anything wrong with being a retail manager but i wouldn't want my kids to follow in my footsteps.

I want to "be" something.

Now I know a lot of people will say that is the wrong reason to change careers but its a double edged sword:

If I change to a career (Police, teacher, fire officer etc.......) I will be proud of myself, i would think my kids would think better of me (thats in my own mind :) ) and it would be a better paying / stable job

GG

GG

Ask yourself this double pronged question....

"Are prepared to work every public holiday as a policeman on duty and not be able to take holidays with your family in the school holidays for the next 10 years or so?"

In other words your wife will have to manage all your kids through the holidays for the next 10 years and you will have to take the kids out of school for a family holiday because there will be no long weekends away together.

If you answer Yes then join up.

Regards
Sheryn

Xmas / New Year / Easter...if you want leave it's pretty easy to get the time off. I haven't worked Xmas / New Year for 3 years now. The penalty rates you get for working public holidays are very good and therefore everybody is willing to work. It's a bit of a trade off...great pay for working it (and fun :D) or time off with family.

I want to "be" something.

can completely understand that. felt exactly the same before i started developing the current product and company.

you want to leave a "footprint" on the world. most intelligent people feel the same, they are not prepared to "just be" as they know there is potential to be so much more in a global social and enviromental way.

part of my plan - asides from becoming filthy rich and retiring to swan around the world - is to contribute a fixed percentage of profits to certain charities/aid organisations, which hopefully will add up to 100,000's per year, and i can't contribute that if i'm "just being".

Back