western suburbs Melbourne hot?

Is it just me or is purchasing something decent in the western suburbs getting harder? I'm talking more about inner west within a 15km radius to cbd. Seems like once a property is listed sells within 2 weeks at a ridiculous price.

Isn't winter supposed to be quite especially with all the doom and gloom around?

yeah I've been to a few auctions in the inner west with the intention of buying, if you arent willing to go at least 10% over the listed max range, dont bother. I bid on a townhouse in Seddon, it went for 16% higher than an identical neighbor this time last year.

Would love to know what is driving this? Low interest rates?

That, and the houses 15km on either other side of the CBD are more expensive or less desirable. The way its going, the west won't stay "cheap" for much longer. Spring is probably going to bring even more ridiculous sale prices.

A recent auction I went to in Sunshine for a house quoted $400K-$420K sold for $530K.

My friend is listing his property for 560-580k 15km north-west of the city in 2 weeks time, just in time for spring. I'm expecting it to sell for at least 100k more. It's a triple-fronted brick veneer on 725m land. Originally it was zoned RGZ and 3-4 stories in the initial Council plan as it was near a major supermarket and a wide range of shops, now Council has rezoned it more conservatively as a GRZ. But in the future, especially if a Labor goverment comes in again in Victoria, I see no problem in it being rezoned to RGZ again in a rethink.

A weatherboard house on 862m land sold for 860k end of July. It is in a GRZ zone. Now I can see that they have put in a planning application for 8 double-storey townhouses on the land. It is right next to a major activity centre, shops and services, transport/train station within short walking distance.

There are some crazy prices in the west, I notice every property is going for auction recently. I wonder whether it's because suburbs in the east and south-east in proximity to city (15km) has been locked up for development while suburbs in the west still have not got protection afforded to them.

Back