What are you going to import now with USD @ 1.09?

Wow just saw the Samsung Galaxy tab avertised for $299 in JB which could mean:

a) it's crap and their offloading them cheap to get rid of them because they wern't selling
b) Samsung is trying for market share
c) We're horribly shafted on prices and this is about what they should really cost
d) all of the above

Anyone have one that can at lease strike a) of the list?

I bought one two months ago at Harvey Norman for under $350 outright and I find it awesome,
It's fast,responsive,large memory,easy to buy extras for in Hong Kong.(Leather case)
Its just a large screen HTC Desire phone,
I am now buying a few more for the kids and the wife wants one,as the games you can download from the apps is huge.

thinking of getting the new Vertu phone, the one that looks like a blackberry, although i think it will be lost on a lot of people in aus. do they even sell vertus in aus?

Well speed i could understand (whatever floats your boat - pun intended :rolleyes: ), but second hand speed!?! :eek:

Locko, I accept that as written it is technically correct but it would only need the addition of a comma after "speed" for it to be removed from the "second hand". :)

My first reading was as if there was the comma.

Hmm How about

Australian Voltage: 220-240 Volts

U.S./Canada:110-120 Volts

i.e. A 110-120 volt gadget will burn out if plugged into 240 volt :confused:

Although this is fact, electronics is becoming less voltage critical. Modern solid state power supplies can adjust. But at this stage I doubt appliances with motors would be included.

No way would I buy electrical items from the states though. :D

Although this is fact, electronics is becoming less voltage critical. Modern solid state power supplies can adjust. But at this stage I doubt appliances with motors would be included.

No way would I buy electrical items from the states though. :D

Europe then ;)

If you want to import from China. do it quick!!!!!! Labour and raw material prices are rising from month to month!!!!!

dumb Q: if we switched to 110v would we save money on power generation in say off peak times?

No. It doesn't work that way. Halve the voltage, double the current. More current the bigger the conductors need to be. You would have twice the weight of copper in your house.

I'm a radio tech not a sparkie so one of them may be able to give actual figures for the increase in dia of the conductor.

No. It doesn't work that way. Halve the voltage, double the current. More current the bigger the conductors need to be. You would have twice the weight of copper in your house.

I'm a radio tech not a sparkie so one of them may be able to give actual figures for the increase in dia of the conductor.

the US are looking more and more antique every day.

nah I mean if the whole australian grid changed to 110v, would we as a nation be better off? would certainly be less deaths

Voltage isn't the thing that kills people - it's the amperage that does it. Average electric fence on a farm can be up to 10000v.

Last edited:
Seeing extra Ag and Earth moving equipment coming through (mainly from a USD purchase but also a few starting to look at EURO or GBP), also a lot of soon to be retirees or round-oz-trippers purchasing caravans and RV's - seeing one or two a week when even Oct last year was maybe once every two months.

hi all
we are on 240 50hz or 415 50hz system
us is 110v 60hz and 380 60hz system yes you can run us equipment here you do need to run a transformer to go from 240 to 110 or 415 to 380 but you still have to watch the 60 to 50hz most items work fine but some do have issues and its for a sparky to have a look and let you know
and no you can't just cut off the plug and plug it in or replug it
most comm us product comes already transformer but they can be under rated which is and issue in itself
the current rating of a 110 v say 10amp is not 10 at 240v and its not 5 either you have to transformer it and tong test it to get the true reading as you have the draw of the transformer
as for is it cheaper to run on 110 instead of 240 no its nearly the same it is more really because you have to run the transformer.
but they are not alot in the cost of the appliance anyway
the transformer has a va rating and has to match the appliance and your sparky can arrange it
as for us caravans or rv its not the 110v thats the problem its the rating of the insulation on the cabling and this is the same for alot of us products the cabling is not rated the same as here
so you maywell be able run the appliance and transformer it but it still does not comply as the cable does not meet ours regs
and this is the norm for most us items
when ordering you have to ask for the euro wiring (it then does comply)you still have to transform tho
hope this helps

Spoke to the guy today who does the windscreen repairs at the workshop for us...

He is currently importing around 5 cars per year from the USA - all older than 30 years so they can stay L/H drive in Aus, and fully restored.

Camaros and Mustangs etc.

Sells them for around the $40k mark, makes a nice $4-5k profit and does two at a time per trip..

He has a colleague who is an importer, and car inspector on the ground in the USA, and it all flows nicely. Each trip is paid for by the sale of one car, and the other is the profit.

But; he knows it will end when the dollar drops. He's makin' hay.

i may look at a few watches

I was buying a TAG for a family member about 3 months ago

Shop retail price $3395

grey importer online, the cheapst was $1755 USD, which at the time including 2.5% credit card surchager, 10% GST ended up $2050

ended up bargaining down at the local retail shop to $2200 which I thought was a great deal!

I wonder if it would be better now to buy from these grey importers????

anyone looked at branded watches??

I have. I have a Jeweler in DC who will sell me my model for $2,030 USD + $120 USD shipping.

After the 10% GST (as it's over $1k) and potentially another $50 customs fee (they always add some BS fee) it took it up to $2,281 AUD (at 1.06 - the real world rate on your Visa).

I bargained the local store down to $2,500 (Tag retailers will discount up to 30% of RRP around $3,500-3,850 in this case). If I take that out of the country within 30 days I get the GST back so it's the same price.

Even if you are not taking it out of the country it's a $250 premium however much less risk (lost in postage, buy it immediately, the Tag shop was going to give me a free sports bag, support local businesses, etc).

I think it's better to buy local in this case.

I would recommend against buying from AuthenticWatches.com and co, they are usually factory seconds with no official Tag warranty (and they do break down). It's a highly mechanical item so I wouldn't risk it. There are loads of complaints on the net about these type of guys - search around.

watchuseek forums is a great source of info BTW.

Last edited:
Looking to buy an I-Pad, can anyone who has purchased recently online point to the store they purchased from - am checking ebay.

Thanks

Not worth it IMO. I bought one IN the US so no shipping was required. Add State Sales Tax and I was even.

Last edited:
Back