What areas do you consider to be (or going to be) 'blue chip' in brisbane?

Looking for suburbs, which investors that are well versed in the Brisbane market, would think is 'blue chip'...???

Bulimba, Hawthorne, Ascot, Paddington, Hamilton, New Farm, Teneriffe, Newstead, West End, Yeronga, Chelmer Yerongpilly are just some of the inner city ones.

Depend on what you are looking for I guess...

What is your definition of 'blue chip'?? What are you looking for in an IP (of course we all love the 10% Year on Year CG with 10%+ yield...:rolleyes:)

Blue chip Brisbane Suburbs

Bulimba, Hawthorne, Ascot, Paddington, Hamilton, New Farm, Teneriffe, Newstead, West End, Yeronga, Chelmer Yerongpilly are just some of the inner city ones.

Brilliant answer, exactly what I would say - another spot too is Tennyson on the river and Pullenvale/Brookfield areas on acreage for owner occupiers; your list is perfect for investors though

Bardon- hilly with views of the city. full of old now renovated queenslanders.
red hill. see above.
St lucia, mix of student digs (QLD Uni) and lush riverfront.
Wilston. (on the hills on the north side of the train line) the surrounding suburbs of Gordon Park and Alderly have had a lot of renovating going on in the last boom. Those arent blue chip but they are aspirational.

otherwise agree with previous posters,

And don't forget that plenty of areas already mentioned have a huge range or mix of price points within the suburb, even in adjoining streets.

One of the most expensive streets in Coorparoo runs straight into a housing commission street. One street is millionaire row and within spitting distance is the other end of the scale.

And don't forget that plenty of areas already mentioned have a huge range or mix of price points within the suburb, even in adjoining streets.

One of the most expensive streets in Coorparoo runs straight into a housing commission street. One street is millionaire row and within spitting distance is the other end of the scale.

Which street is that wylie?

Which street is that wylie?

The street I was thinking of is Beuna Vista Avenue. It runs between Chatsworth Road and Ferol Street. Check it out on google earth. The whole street is highly sought after but the Chatsworth Road end has city views, elevated suburban views, big money.

The houses in Ferol Street are quite different. I would think buying in that street would be wise because I reckon it is like the "next suburb out" idea that when people cannot afford the expensive suburb, they pick the next suburb out as it will rise with the general tide.

The street I was thinking of is Beuna Vista Avenue. It runs between Chatsworth Road and Ferol Street. Check it out on google earth. The whole street is highly sought after but the Chatsworth Road end has city views, elevated suburban views, big money.

The houses in Ferol Street are quite different. I would think buying in that street would be wise because I reckon it is like the "next suburb out" idea that when people cannot afford the expensive suburb, they pick the next suburb out as it will rise with the general tide.

It's hardly surprising given the name of the street!

Just went under contract in birkdale. It's a pretty nice area, not my favourite area but we found a good land bank.

Yes I know Buena Vista ave, very nice street. I actually live in coorparoo and didn't even no about the housing commission on ferol street.
Might have to do a drive by today and see what potential bargains might come up in the future :D

Spot on list.

Ascot would have to be #1 wouldn't it?

Hard to say if Ascot would be #1 there are some very expensive properties in the other suburbs mentioned. I would say that Ascot is seen as the "traditional money" suburb of Brisbane, with the others being more new money suburbs. Bulimba for example could be compared to Balmain in Sydney, an older blue collar suburb that due to it's proximity to the water and the CBD, has now been revived into a high net worth suburb.

Bulimba, Kangaroo Pt, New Farm, all a bit rough not many years ago. Now very snooty. Blue Chip NOW

So my future pick is Inala...

Thanks for those...what abt mount gravatt? looking to spend 300-350K on a unit/townhouse

You will get little for that price at blue chips. You are better of buying something bigger at near blue chip sburbs. Look for reasonably priced suburbs next to blue chip ones. like greenslopes, or carina heights.

Wynnum within 300 metres of the bay, as if people won't want to live near the ocean in the future, sea breezes and plenty of public transport and an excellent esplanade for walking/exercising or just getting out and about.
It is far from blue chip at the moment though but way better than Mt Gravatt!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Looking for suburbs, which investors that are well versed in the Brisbane market, would think is 'blue chip'...???

Just do your feasibility study on the suburbs you choose and as long as you buy well (below median or for land banking - larger block of land that can be one day redeveloped, or for renovation etc....).
Look for unique property aspects, where incomes are increasing, infrastructure changes, basically for favorable demographics, then you can buy well in many suburbs.
Don't buy in areas with too many unit developments unless you know what you are doing (incase of over supply).
There are many factors in choosing the right IP for your strategy unless you wish to be a passive investor, right?

Back