What car do you drive?

The wife has a toyota prado diesel wagon. 8 seats are handy for picking up the kids and their friends and carting them about. I love the 180 litre fuel tank. We use it to go camping and canoeing and offroad stuff.

I have a diesel toyota landcruiser ute for work and a couple of dirtbikes.

See ya's.

I just brought myself a brand new VW Golf GTI 3 months ago. Why? Because my old Jap car which i also bought brand new had too many problems with it during the warranty period so i decided to flick it as the warranty had just run out for a nice euro car. I used to like car's and used to go cruising on weekends but now days im so over cars, it's just for A to B use.

How does the new wrx go out of interest?

'08 XR6T ute here, nice drive.

The WRX is good. It has loosened up nicely during the (fast) run-in. It's much faster than the V8, too, both around corners and in a straight line.

I've always liked the XR6Ts, although I've never owned one.

Got a new car (well second hand at least) last December (2010).....

Bought a top of the line 2006 Hyundai Sonata (2.5L 4cycl engine)...love it....and it is extremely reliable. Has all the mod cons and most of the latest safety features.

I used to have a Hyundai Getz and get blown around by trucks...this car is like a tank.

For 17k.....10k after trade-in for a car which had 25k klms I am not complaining.

A car is to get from A to B but why can't you injoy the journey.

That is why I drive a Mazda 3 MPS.

I do also go for a drives for the hell of it, I love driving well my car anyway.

Love the Mini CJProperty, I had the same model quite a few years back, but it broke down and I sold it for a pittance. Selling it was one of my biggest regrets...

I don't drive anymore ;)

mt01.png

Hi,
Picked-up my new 2011 Subaru Forester XT on Friday. Took it for a run over the long weekend and treated it nice and gentle....over 500 klms.
First new car in nearly 30 years.
Spent more than I wanted to spend, but glad I did.
It's hard to keep the thing under 4000RPM whilst running-in, but I'll be patient.:D
Cheers
Amy

It's hard to keep the thing under 4000RPM whilst running-in, but I'll be patient.:D

There are many theories running around, but the one that I like the most and have used previously is that you should drive it properly from day 1.

This way it makes sure that everything seals properly.

There are lots of arguments both for and against a proper run in, so I just chose the one that was the most fun!

I've never had a new car ... the idea was to buy another 2yo car next time.

Right about when the complaining from the child who gets the 8 inch wide strip of seat between the baby seats gets too much to bear :D

There are many theories running around, but the one that I like the most and have used previously is that you should drive it properly from day 1.

This way it makes sure that everything seals properly.

There are lots of arguments both for and against a proper run in, so I just chose the one that was the most fun!

I agree with the drive it quickly (but not full throttle) from day 1 principle.

I've driven my last 4 new cars this way during run in, and they've all been very good. My approach is generally plenty of revs but on light to moderate throttle opening, and never ever 'lug' the engine at low revs. Drove the V8 quite hard during run in, and it is now 8 years old with over 100k on the clock, and performs faultlessly.

I had the new WRX to over 180km/h within 4 days of picking it up (no, not on a public road), with less than 300km on the clock.

Hi, VY,

That's one of the reasons I settled for a new vehicle in lieu of a second-hand one.:eek::D

Amy

I haven't bought a second hand car in about 10 years, and probably won't do so again (unless it's a classic).

Don't be afraid to give your new machine some herbs - it's very possible to kill a modern vehicle with kindness, as strange as that sounds.

Don't be afraid to give your new machine some herbs - it's very possible to kill a modern vehicle with kindness, as strange as that sounds.
Hi, VY,

Makes sense.

The manual advises not to exceed 4000rpm for the first 1600klms, and that sounds a little on the soft side to me. Having given the car a run recently...about 500 klms......the engine was ticking over at around 2300rpm on average, and only got to around 3000 when gently nudged uphill. About 400 klms of that was main freeway work, and 100 up and down mountain ranges. On the highway, and sticking to road rules, 2200rpm was max. But on the slopes, I really wanted to use the sports shift, and the car seemed to want to go more, too. However, I stuck to auto.
Do you think I should 'cool it' 'til the 1600klms comes around first, then give it some squirt, or give it a bit of stick now?

Cheers
Amy

Back