What car do you drive?

We have 2 cars.

A 1996 SSangyong Musso 4WD we bought off my mate in 2000, and now has 207,000km's on the clock. Still goes great in spite of the head gasket oil leak we've had since about '05. Who cares.

Second car is my 50th birthday/delayed gratification/time to be a "wh@nk@" 2007 Holden Clubsport R8 V8 - bought late last year.

Bought off the same mate - another of his cast-offs.

A 2004 Mazda RX8 for me. Worth $62k brand new but I purchased for 17 k :D

I like to let other people wear the depreciation before I buy...

A 2004 Mazda RX8 for me. Worth $62k brand new but I purchased for 17 k :D

I like to let other people wear the depreciation before I buy...

Holy crap, just had a look on Car Sales, I had no idea that they had dropped this much!

Friend of mine was after one of these a year and a bit ago and they were around the low $30s.

1:pajero Exceed turbo diesel for towing the Jayco expanda caravan,stays in the shed until its needed,currently packing it up and getting ready for a trip to Ayres rock.
A new one of these is over 80K new now

2:2010 Dual cab transit turbo diesel for the work vehicle,so far has 5000kms on the clock

3:2004 Black Holden Statesman

4:2008 White Holden Statesman

Hi, VY,

Makes sense.

The manual advises not to exceed 4000rpm for the first 1600klms, and that sounds a little on the soft side to me. Having given the car a run recently...about 500 klms......the engine was ticking over at around 2300rpm on average, and only got to around 3000 when gently nudged uphill. About 400 klms of that was main freeway work, and 100 up and down mountain ranges. On the highway, and sticking to road rules, 2200rpm was max. But on the slopes, I really wanted to use the sports shift, and the car seemed to want to go more, too. However, I stuck to auto.
Do you think I should 'cool it' 'til the 1600klms comes around first, then give it some squirt, or give it a bit of stick now?

Cheers
Amy

The issue is that you DON'T want to load the engine up at low revs. Give it some good revs (5000 rpm or even a bit more), but don't do it at full throttle. Hold the lower gears a bit and put your foot down. You want to wear in the bearings and oiled surfaces. AVOID long runs at constant rpm!

There's actually a school of thought that suggests running a new engine VERY hard is the best way to go, but I'm not convinced, having read the rationale.

We got 2 Mazda's for the price of 1 in 2008.
I got a CX7. Great to drive, very comfortable, but not as much boot space as I expected/ need. (I get car allowance from work, and use car for transporting products)
Hubby got a Mazda 2. Also very reliable, easy on fuel and looks cool for a little car.

Back