What do you think - Interest rates may have peaked

Does the RBA know something we don't or are they desparately trying to cut it off at the pass??

I think they see the economy slowing significantly, combined with the fall of the AUS Dollar, combined with the housing/building crisis and are trying to do as you say...cut it off before it goes too far. Stock market down AND Property market heading/down....unusual combination- something has to go up!;)

Regards JO

I think they see the economy slowing significantly, combined with the fall of the AUS Dollar, combined with the housing/building crisis and are trying to do as you say...cut it off before it goes too far. Stock market down AND Property market heading/down....unusual combination- something has to go up!;)

Regards JO

LIBOR down as welll

http://www.bba.org.uk/bba/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=145&a=14528

BBA Libor overnight rates fall

17/09/2008

The cost of borrowing US dollars overnight fell 1.4 per cent to 5.03 per cent. The cost of borrowing sterling overnight also dropped from 6.8 per cent to 5. 23 per cent. Money markets are still volatile but the pressure has eased since yesterday.

I thought the cost of overseas money was supposed to be getting more expensive?

Dave

hopefully it will be share market that goes up and not the property market
I think both will but property first, the low AUD would make sure of that. Singapore investors were on the prowl for the past few months looking for quality holiday homes / investments. Anything with views, waterfronts, holiday locations, etc. will be on the shopping list at almost half price discounts.

I must say I was shocked too. They must really think the economy needs plugging.

I am also shocked the banks jumped in straight away to say they would cut by .8%. I was expecting .5% MAX!

Does anyone out there feel like they are on a rollercoaster?:confused:

Regards JO

Funnily enough I was thinking to myself that the RBA needed to cut IR by 1% and I spoke to a friend tonight and she had thought the same.

IMHO...I think the RBA is on the mark and acting independently.

Watching for the sharemarket to hit 4200.

Pleasing to see CBA buying in this market. My thoughts are that previous CBA CEO is now with The Future Fund ( not sure of his exact position OR title ) + we have Superannuation Funds with money to purchase shares. If 6% is neutral then they may purchase 'quality' shares with returns greater than 7%.

I know nothing just trying to 'think' about the situation. Plus Warren Buffett is buying value.

Regards
Sheryn

Yep you got that right, it's a roller coaster going in reverse. I'm realy confused:confused: with the RBA, what are they trying to achieve or are they confused them self?

I just have a feeling they know something that we don't & has shocked them that they needed to make it a 1% cut.

And the banks " We can not promise that we will cut our interest rates:rolleyes: " , & what did they do, instantly agreed to cut .8%.:eek:

Like you said, it's a roller coaster ride, hold on everyone enjoy the ride that never ends.:D

George:)

One thing I really could not work out is the W Swan, K Rudd and RBA boss came out saying the banks does not need pass on all the cut ----- What a !!!!

The rate cut is to bring up the market and encourage people/business to borrow. However, The RBA and the Government said the lender did not need to cut that much. The commercial banks need to keep the profits. What is the difference is that the government to give the banks tax payer's money for free? Is K Rudd wanting to see the big 4s to have big profit next year?

I really could not figure out. Labour government is supposed to be for the "working families", however they are really the opposiste.

When K Rudd and W Swan run out of idea, then they run to US to get some lecture. W Swan first thing rang the US treasuror to ask for advice when the labour came in the office. Few weeks ago, Rudd went to US to seek advice not W Swan going again....

It proves that K Rudd and W Swan have lost confidence on their treasury department, and lost confidence on RBA ---- DONT VALUE their advice. What a shame!

One thing I really could not work out is the W Swan, K Rudd and RBA boss came out saying the banks does not need pass on all the cut ----- What a !!!!
I think they came out and said this time the banks should pass the full amount, for all the good it did with CBA. Maybe others will be listening to them but I doubt it.

Back