What do you turn to when you are down?

Do a hard weights workout or some other intense exercise, or some extreme sport activity, that will wake you up.
This should in turn make you improve your diet to suit and you will feel stonger and more healthy.

If you have an awesome, healthy, well built stong and physical body, and are full of energy, how could you possibly feel down?

(But don't only do this when you feel down, do it all the time)

yep vigorous exercise helps to keep my mood up. Makes you feel great, mentally physically. I had to stop my running because i strained my knee and in just 2 days i was withdrawing from the high, walking just doesnt give you that great high. Oh well.

Also keep busy, dont lie in bed half the day, get out and be with people and do things even if you are down, it helps

I turn to you weirdo lot for upbeat stimulating conversation, Because its the onlyway a weirdo like me can talk to other clever weirdos!:D

I don't have downs...life is literally the high, and there are many things what folks have mentioned already that I love to do/doing..

-rock climbing

-of course chocolate

-music

-other hobbies/business

-property investing

-networking

-throwing the leg

-travel

-family/friends catch ups

-research/learning

-property investing

-throwing more legs

-scuba diving

-sailing

-self development

-Mr OO's hugs

-philanthropy

-photography

-time with my animals

-buying more property

-just living life and experiencing day to day wonders

-my creative stuff-poetry + music writing

-throwing more legs...so on, there is more, but it's time to you know what.

OO, you're a crack-up. :D

I very rarely get down, fortunately, but when I am, I find that very little beats a good laugh, so I watch anything by Sacha Baron-Cohen, or Billy Connolly. Or my DVDs of "Curb Your Enthusiasm", or "The Newsroom" (Canadian).

I don't have downs...life is literally the high,

That's wonderful OO. Have you always been like this or do you have a little secret to share with us apart from the pleasant distractions of life that you have indicated that you indulge in. :) Or is it the fact that you indulge in ongoing pleasantness?

I have observed in general that people who have highs will also have coresponding lows and most of us go through the life chasing pleasant things and avoiding unpleasant things. Of course it is impossible to avoid unpleasant situations throughout the life and be constantly surrounded by wanted things happening all the time.

So I am respectfully curious to know how you manage to be high all the time? Have you ever lost a loved one or pet? Did you not feel down? Do you simply remain unaffected by things not going to your wishes and vicissitudes that occur along the way? :)

Kind Regards, RS

Hmmmmmmmmm

Identify problem or issue
The first thing I do is recognise that I am feeling down, then I think of the positives in my life (kids and hubby healthy & happy) etc.

Strategies to manage lowered mood:
  • Consume chocolate.
  • Read Mills & Boon Romance books.
  • Bubble bath (read half a book as above whilst in tub).
  • I love a tidy quite house - so I do the housework.
  • Capaccino by myself or with friends - love the froth (guess it is chocolate)
  • Happy hour - cheese and drinks
  • Read professional development books
  • Write down goals - SMART
  • TALK to my family

GOAL / AIM
  1. Face my fears - what am I afraid of?
  2. Who or what am I allowing to make me unhappy
  3. I am in charge of my happiness, so each day I will wake up give thanks for me and my families lives, identify what is troubling me or making me fearful and work towards solving this problem.

ACTION PLAN
Work on emotional intelligence :)

Appropriate quote - Simple secret

Those that think about it ( depressed, withdrawn, lack of colour in life) :confused:
Those that talk about it (you are up to this stage GG IMHO) :cool:
Those that make it happen ( work their way out of depression or low mood ;)[of course there are those that self harm :eek:]

Statistics
1 in 5 will have a mental health issue in their lifetime, feeling down is not a mental health issue unless it continues for a long period of time You are just in touch with your everyday feelings.

Sheryn

A long ride, run, swim or kayak will usually let me sort my head out. Have a great hill behind our place (Mt Taylor) - whenever I'm in a foul mood I usually challenge my PB to the top. Best feeling in the world when I get to the top, ready to chuck my guts up but knowing I really have pushed myself as hard as physically possible. Given my frustrations are usually due to things outside of my control, having that one thing in my control is great.

Bung knee at the moment (six weeks of corrective muscle work to fix) so am hoping for a smooth six weeks! If not think it may have to be swimming or kayaking.

Rockstar:
That's wonderful OO. Have you always been like this or do you have a little secret to share with us apart from the pleasant distractions of life that you have indicated that you indulge in. Or is it the fact that you indulge in ongoing pleasantness?

I believe it is my hardwiring, innate, it has always been a strong feature/part of my temperament. I believe it to be related to a resilience factor, solutions orientated/problem solving thingy, wonder of the world..also within. Nobody else in my immediate family shows it btw.

Rockstar:
So I am respectfully curious to know how you manage to be high all the time?

It is effortless, I am what I am, it isn't something that needs to be summoned..or managed in that sense, it is there as much as my hair color, my eyes..I do make an effort to "tame" it down in inapropriate situations..I do have a very high emotional intelligence as well.

Have you ever lost a loved one or pet?

Yes, of course...and this is difficult to try and find the best way to explain...(I do cry btw)...I am the one that speaks the eulogy, what a particular person has bought to our lives, the honor of having them in our lives...I would consider funerals more a celebration of that person we were so fortunate to have with us, be it, a short.. (or more lengthy time)..I never consider them "gone"...I do believe people/souls never actually leave us, they surround us with their love and support.

Yes, I am spiritual..

Now I realise that is not everyone's cup of green tea. Just as is naturotherapy, law of attraction...but I cannot change the temperament I was born with. My beliefs and temperament are mine only.

Did you not feel down?

No, I do not.

I am being quite frank and open with you...I see the world as a multitude of hope, color and light, I am strongly solutions orientated...I don't just dream, I do....I act...

Do you simply remain unaffected by things not going to your wishes and vicissitudes that occur along the way?

I get everything I hope and wish for...and sometimes more.

I see challenges in the (my) environment, the world... I find solutions. I never give up. I act. We are doing some work in childhood HIV infection at the moment, I don't see despair and the highest rate of infection in the world, I see children with more courage and resilience and love to share than you could ever envisage...yes, they require medical treatment, community education, education, drug therapy, food, shelter, clothing...we can meet those needs as best we can, but more importantly they need hope/inspiration, love back and cuddles and laughter...now, that stuff is free.

As people, as part of the humankind psyche...thingy....the greatest turnarounds, the greatest gifts we can share (along with tangibles) is love, empathy, caring, inspiration, laughter and HOPE.

To me that is the easiest thing in the world, it's a no brainer. That's what I've been made for, put on earth for. Property investing helps me achieve this, (as well as financial independence for us, personally).

I consider myself one of the most fortunate people in the world with that much abundance and hope, inspiration and love to share it wakes me up each morning rattling my body....unless that's Mr OO T.A.L...

I am not unique, I have friends like me...Mr OO is nothing like me, he is the world's most logical, practical, black and white man, but he sees that I am what I am, I must do what I do... and accepts that, (just as I do he)

I believe we each have different temperaments which perhaps, contribute to how we perceive/relate to our environment/the world..different drummers.

One of my jobs involves exercising.

So, I go to work!

Nothing like yelling at people and telling them to work harder to relieve pent up stress.:D:D

Then I get paid for it. Even Better!:D:D:D

Regards JO

Time.........

I am a bit blue today. Had an argument with oldest son, had "words" with middle boy (not unusual as he is going through 17 year old grunting stage, and seemingly angry with me whatever I do, and vice versa).

Luckily our youngest son crept into our bed this morning (he is 13 but still loves a snuggle when his friends are not around - hope to continue snuggling with him as long as possible, but I fear the end of the snuggles is getting closer by the day) and I was between him and hubby. Life was good.

Anyway, when I get down, I just ride it out, keep to myself a bit and time generally does its magic.

Yes, this is usually my approach.

What an awesome and inspiring post, OO !

You are a genuinely good soul and you manifest that goodness in your life.
I know cos I was the recipient of your kindness a while ago.

I was at a church talk last week and the Irish Catholic preacher left me
with three words 'hope, compassion and gratitude' and I think if we have those, we lmake the world a better place just by being in it.

Amelia

Rockstar:

I believe it is my hardwiring,...........

That is an inspiring post! Thanks so much for responding OO. I feel sympathetic joy for you and others like yourself. May all people aspire to developing such qualities. Continue to help others as you have been. (I'm sure it's not possible for you to do otherwise). :)

Thank-you for sharing, RS

hi all
if you wish to be inspired for me you can't go wrong from listening to and watching the susan boyle
I dreamed a dream
on y tube
if that does inspire you to take on some thing thats very simple
and yet to stand there in front of a few thousand people that think you are about to fail and pull off that performance for me is just so inspiring
people can do anything with a dream
that was her dream and she is living it
and thats what we all should aspire to.
help others and they will help you
aim for your dream and you will get there.
its just a matter of pushing all the rubbish out of the way.
stay focused have an aim and then just do it

there are some who are posting on this thread that need to get a real life surely??

my god talk about feeling sorry for themselves..

get outdoors, smell the fresh air at least!

personally i dont have time for self pity and felling sorry for myself.....much prefer to think of the positives in life...like just living and getting on with it.

i really dislike this thread after reading it...........

anyone that feels down should not blame anyone or anything but themselves, its a mental state, nothing more...........

you only get out of life what you put into it, if you dont contribute, stay grumpy and down cause the world wont stop for anyone...........

regards from sunny and happy qld.

Back