What in the hell are we doing in Iraq ?

If Australia were getting bombed continuously by an enemy who did not believe that Australians even had a right to a homeland (ie Australia), would we sit by and do nothing? I don't think so.

If Australia were getting bombed continuously by an enemy who did not believe that Australians even had a right to a homeland (ie Australia), would we sit by and do nothing? I don't think so.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hamas are doing it deliberately to keep tensions in the Middle East high. Lob bombs into Israel from schools and hospitals, knowing Israel will fire back, but with weapons 10 times more powerful and accurate. Of course there are terrible casualties to Palestinians, and so Hamas has achieved what they wanted. More hatred of Israel.

See ya's.

They are doing it deliberately.

And then cry out that Israel is bombing innocent victims.

Perfect cover for deception and agenda to be driven.

These people need to be stopped.

Anyone claiming John Howard and Bush to be the terrorists are delusional.

I can't believe the level of stupidity being displayed in defending those who hold innocent captives, and film them being decapitated and sending the video to the western world.

We should storm Iraq, Syria or anywhere this enemy of decent humanity is operating and wipe it clean.

All Palestine and Hamas have to do to stop being bombed, is to stop lobbing bombs into Israel. They have a choice.

See ya's.

Ah ok so that's it? Wow quick someone call the world leaders, there was a completely simplistic solution to a highly complex issue hiding under our noses the whole time

I can't believe the level of stupidity being displayed in defending those who hold innocent captives, and film them being decapitated and sending the video to the western world.

We should storm Iraq, Syria or anywhere this enemy of decent humanity is operating and wipe it clean.

Firstly I haven't seen a single person defend isis. They are scum and certainly something needs to be done about them

Re bush, terrorist is a harsh word but ultimately it is estimated about a million iraqi civilians have died since the us insurgency started. To put that into perspective that is like a port arthur massacre occurring every day for 60 years or so

Think about it. The equivalent of about a port arthur massacre every day for 60 years is the number of innocent people who have died ad a result of the us led wars.

So lets roll back 10 decades for a wander down memory lane.

Germany invades neighboring countries and pillages / tortures them. The "Allies" all go in to help.

Assuming internet was invented, would you have made a thread saying "What the hell are we doing in Turkey?"

If so, how is what ISIS is doing any better / worse that Hitler? Or do you consider that type of treatment of other humans acceptable?

This whole thread is hard to answer, but do you really think the 'world' was incorrect in going to war with Hitler????

Many of the reasons, only became clear in later years.

Sadly in many future conflicts it wasn't so clear cut, eg Korea War, Vietnam war.

I am no expert in these matters, but surely we cant condone in anyform the cutting off of peoples heads because their belief is different to ours.

Nor can we allow democracy to permit talk in itself.
The purist view is that democracy will shine the light on 'wrongness'.

There was an interesting Episode in Foyles war about this issue.

IV normal view point is just how can I profit from it (mainly because I get a personal sense of satisfaction from making profit, because I cannot personally influence affairs, so at least I can profit from it).

But in this case I cant.
I have to hope that my 'betters' in government know better than I do.

I guess because of this I support the government.
Do we want this in our back yard?

Its very interesting that for the first time in many years, many of the middle east community are asking for support. What do they know that we don't?
Why is it that most of the time they keep silent and let their 'puppet' the USA do the talking for them.
Even Turkey is asking for co-operation.

I deal a lot with Asians, I understand their mindset.
Middle east is a whole different mindset

Q1

So lets roll back 10 decades for a wander down memory lane.

Germany invades neighboring countries and pillages / tortures them. The "Allies" all go in to help.

Assuming internet was invented, would you have made a thread saying "What the hell are we doing in Turkey?"

If so, how is what ISIS is doing any better / worse that Hitler? Or do you consider that type of treatment of other humans acceptable?

Honestly I respect many of your posts.

But in this case you are so totally wrong.
History has proved this time and time again (in regards to WWII). Future conflicts have been so much more uncertain.

I cannot give a clear comment on future comments, only on the correctness of WWII.

The sad truth is that USA has evolved over the last century. Notice its hesitancy in WW1 (which I question), WW2 (which they should have joined sooner). Subsequent conflicts (which I question).

Now USA is almost the arbiter, and yet its question of judgement has increased massively since WWII

This mess began with 'Deputy' Howard getting us involved in Bush's dishonest war........

Time and time again, we have been lied to by Uncle Sam. Does anyone remember the contrived 'Gulf of Tonkin resolution?" That bit of nonsense got us into the Vietnam quagmire, which cost us almost 500 lives. Not to mention hundreds more ex-soldiers who took their own lives once they returned.

Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi knew how to deal with ISIS and its various manifestations. Sadly we got rid of Hussein and Gaddaffi. Pity - they were less evil that what we have to deal with now.

Not happy Johnny....

Yes its very interesting how Nations evolve. Not too different to the British empire. But the American 'empire' was unique. There was no tribute back to the home country.

Still with this particular post, I totally agree.

We didn't understand the local politics of the region. We grandstanded, we looked at it from a totally Western democracy point of view. We failed to take into account the regions history.

And most importantly we stuffed up.

It's hypocritical, why stand up to one terrorist state killing thousands of innocents (Isis) and not the other (Israel) ?

mate don't go down this path.

We don't understand, because we are not Jewish.

I am not Jewish, yet I totally support Israel.

Only a Jewish person could totally understand. I can only imagine.

There's no evidence of people strapping children to their chest so Israel won't shoot. Hamas is also not killing children of Palestine, its Israels bombs (40% of bombing victims in the Gaza Strip are kids).

Hamas is actually democratically elected - they are just as legitimate as any other government is.

Bush, Howard and co's heroic invasion of the middle east has caused millions of innocents in Iraq and Afghanistan to die. Their negligence caused that outcome and millions if not BILLIONS of people in the world would agree with me.

I sure you would disagree with me on that one because you probably thought Saddam Hussein had little nukes didn't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to our impending invasion of Saudi Arabia. After all, in an ordinary month, they do more public beheadings than ISIL has done to date. Oh wait...

The Saudi's are one of the west' key allies. They have supported America during Iraq and Afghanistan [logistics, use of land to launch air strikes etc...]. Most of it is back door stuff and not publically available, but believe me that region would be in much more strife if it weren't for them.

Firstly I haven't seen a single person defend isis.

I was watching Lateline tonight and Wassim Doureihi, the spokesman for the Australian chapter of Hizb ut-Tahrir (which seeks to implement an Islamic caliphate and sharia law). He was asked repeatedly whether he supports the actions of ISIS and each time refused to answer the question, instead referring to Western occupation of Islamic lands as justification.

He also refused, when asked, to publicly ask young Muslim men to stop going abroad to join ISIS.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2014/s4103227.htm

I'm not sure which part you're actually disagreeing with?

All i'm saying is that in WW1 we went over there to help, and now we're going over there to help again.

just there is a big difference between WW2 and all the other conflicts (including WW1).

The internet in your words, hopefully will forever prevent a WW1 situation, but it shouldn't prevent a WWII (because the consequences could have been worse).

As to Korean, Vietnam, and probably the middle east, we shouldnt have been there in the first place.

Hamas has a mandate of government, elected by the people of Palestine to be true to their covenant of eschewing negotiation with Israel and to obliterate Israel. There is a theory in SS that the Palestinians did not actually vote for war but Hamas won them over with clever electioneering. However, IMO Hamas seems deliberate enough over a long time with their infrastructure of tunneling to carry out subversive incursions into Israel and overt rocket attacks to further their goals. There is an online copy of the Hamas Covenant in the Yale University Library.

It seems that a complex brew of race, religion and culture has mired the people in the Middle East to a state of constant hostility, martyrdom, while the rest of the world opine whether they have contributed to their sorry state - damned to be involved and damned to abstain.

It's hypocritical, why stand up to one terrorist state killing thousands of innocents (Isis) and not the other (Israel) ?

Larry Miller on Israel and the Palestinians conflict

Larry is apparently no stranger to controversy, see here

Whosoever Blesses Them

The Palestinians want their own country. There's just one thing about that: There are no Palestinians. It's a made up word. Israel was
called Palestine for two thousand years. Like 'Wiccan,' 'Palestinian'
sounds ancient, but is really a modern invention. Before the Israelis
won the land in the 1967 war, Gaza was Owned by Egypt , the West Bank
was owned by Jordan , and there were no 'Palestinians.'

As soon as the Jews took over and started growing oranges as big as
basketballs, what do you know, say hello to the 'Palestinians,?
weeping for their deep bond with their lost 'land' and 'nation.'

So for the sake of honesty, let's not use the word 'Palestinian' any
more to describe these delightful folks, who dance for joy at our
deaths until someone points out they're being taped. Instead, let's
call them what they are: 'Other Arabs Who Can't Accomplish Anything In
Life And Would Rather Wrap Themselves In The Seductive Melodrama Of
Eternal Struggle And Death.' I know that's a bit unwieldy to expect to
see on CNN. How about this, then: 'Adjacent Jew-Haters.' Okay, so the
Adjacent Jew-Haters want their own country. Oops, just one more thing:
No, they don't. They could've had their own country. Anytime in the
last thirty years, especially several years ago at Camp David. But If
you have your own country, you have to have traffic lights and garbage
trucks. And Chambers of Commerce, and, worse, you actually have to
figure out some way to make a living.

That's no fun. No, they want what all the other Jew-Haters in the
region want: Israel. They also want a big pile of dead Jews, of course
that's where the real fun is -- but mostly they want Israel.

Why? For one thing, trying to destroy Israel - or 'The Zionist
Entity' as their Textbooks call it -- for the last fifty years has
allowed the rulers of Arab Countries to divert the attention of their
own people away from the fact that they're the blue-ribbon most
illiterate, poorest, and tribally backward on God's Earth, and if
you've ever been around God's Earth, you know that's really saying something.

Rant continues....

what are doing there? not a lot other than joy riding around the place it seems.. haven't dropped a single bomb. The cost per bomb (if we drop one) will be enormous

what are doing there? not a lot other than joy riding around the place it seems.. haven't dropped a single bomb. The cost per bomb (if we drop one) will be enormous
Maybe get some bang for buck then and drop it somewhere where it counts, like an IDF air force base.

Back