What is it with men?

just what i don't need - a desk full of gaping holes.

lizzie, just get a desk grommet to plug the existing hole :) and maybe another for the new hole.

Attachments

• deskgrommet.jpg
    deskgrommet.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 46
sheesh ... needed a large hole drilled thru my desk for power cords etc to feed thru.

i knew hubby had one of those large drill bits for drilling the hole for door locks but, having just moved house, i couldn't find it.

asked him where it was - he couldn't find it straight away so said he'd look later and drill it for me.

great - i told him i'd marked the spot with masking tape so the laminate doesn't chip. asked again the next day, still hadn't found it, so reminded him that i'd taped the spot where i wanted the hole to go.

went briefly to the supermarket. came home to find the hole was drilled the other end of the desk from the very obvious masking tape - and right over the top of the support panel so the cords won't thread thru easily!

jesus h christ! he said he didn't know that i wanted it where the tape was and offered to drill another hole in the correct spot! just what i don't need - a desk full of gaping holes. and then they get miffy when you point out that they don't get any brownie points for the incompetent job they just did.

sometimes men are just best left out in the shed.

Now that is funny to read. Nice one lizzie !!! :D:D

glad you found it funny - grump grump :D

i know it's not a big issue in life - but came at the end of a contentious weekend!

jesus h christ! he said he didn't know that i wanted it where the tape was and offered to drill another hole in the correct spot! just what i don't need - a desk full of gaping holes. and then they get miffy when you point out that they don't get any brownie points for the incompetent job they just did.

sometimes men are just best left out in the shed.

I'm sorry! I read this and was laughing so much I had tears running down my face. I feel your pain.

Mine put up the gyprock last night and I've now got gyprock dust where I don't want it. He did promise to move everything, or give me notice when he is going to the sanding, so I can move it.

He did promise to move everything, or give me notice when he is going to the sanding, so I can move it.

haha - yes - not only did he drill the hole in the wrong place, but didn't bother to close or move my laptop, so it got a keypad full of sawdust - and didn't clean up the sawdust all over the floor etc (although he did leave the dustpan and brush out for me to do so).

it was on the end of one of those weekends which started with me having a painter out to look at the roof (large double story on a windy ridge) and when he was gone hubby declared "mutter mutter" that he'd get up there with a harness and paint it himself. when i politely told him that sometimes it's okay to pay the professionals to do a job and that the money was in the bank, he grumped off declaring that since we have so much money he's off to buy himself a brand new 4wd because his current one has an small oil leak.

didn't see him for an hour when he came back and demanded i come for a test drive with him. hmmm - $3000 for complete engine seals overhaul, $60,000 for new 4wd ... rather set the tone for the rest of the weekend. :rolleyes

didn't see him for an hour when he came back and demanded i come for a test drive with him. hmmm - $3000 for complete engine seals overhaul, $60,000 for new 4wd ... rather set the tone for the rest of the weekend. :rolleyes

What can I say?:eek:

Mine talks of new cars. But we still drive out 1998 Toyota Rav 4. I'm guessing we will until it either karks it or it becomes too expensive to bother fixing it.

maybe you ladies are missing the point that many men have - and will always have - the provider mentality.

as in, THEY want to be the one to make the difference, not pay someone else so they don't have to think about it.

i refuse to pay for someone to do something i can very capably do myself. i don't have a mower man, i don't pay people to wash my bins and i don't pay people to do my nails.

i can't cut my hair, so i have to pay someone else for that. i can't weld copper water pipes, so i pay a plumber. i can't grow a lot of food, so i buy most of it.

as in, THEY want to be the one to make the difference, not pay someone else so they don't have to think about it.

i totally get that.

but when he is on fly in/fly out to south australia for work, for the next 6 months, and sailing season is coming up ... don't like my chances of getting it done by hubby without major resentment.

no win situation really - cranky because he is and resents it, or cranky because he isn't because he thinks he should be.

ah well - he does has his good point - and enough venting (for now :D)

Last edited:
Ah, love dating and accountant - I don't think he owns a drill, let alone knows how to use it :D (Yes, I will be in trouble if he ever comes across this, but so worth it!)

Although mine does talk of new cars, and does go looking for the things, and hopefully will buy a new one, so I can look uber cool in it and can drive his old one until it sells :D (hopefully! Because i'm still driving a Dihatsu..)

i can't cut my hair, so i have to pay someone else for that.

Agree with everything except this bit. Fifteen years ago I invested $80 in a set of WAHL clippers from a hairdresser supply shop. At an average cost of $15 every six weeks for a visit to a barber over that time, I have saved $2k, post tax. Someone can work out the IRR... along with how much the time is worth that I no longer have to spend in a barber's shop.

Best investment I ever made! Never had to have someone else cut my hair again. The number 2 comb does the trick every time! :)

Oh and we grow a fair few of our own vegies too. Won't have to buy potatoes for the rest of the year at this rate! :D

I'll freely admit there is a risk of this propensity going too far... :eek:

I love the venting and family interaction on forums like this - it certainly lightens up my day!! :D

Needless to say I won't be participating in any "mere male" stories (I value my male relationships too much ;) :eek:) but I do think that Aaron's point about that "provider" instinct runs true. My hubby puts it down to caveman times, when the men were the hunters and the women the gatherers! How times have changed in many households :D

Growing up with three brothers and extremely traditional sexist 1960's parents, my sister and I often received the rough end of the stick doing regular chores like the cooking, washing etc, whilst the boys got away with simpler jobs like putting out the bins and bringing in the milk bottles (whoopee!)

maybe you ladies are missing the point that many men have - and will always have - the provider mentality.

i refuse to pay for someone to do something i can very capably do myself. i don't pay people to do my nails.

i can't cut my hair, so i have to pay someone else for that. i can't weld copper water pipes, so i pay a plumber. i can't grow a lot of food, so i buy most of it.

I get that too, and Hubby is very good at his handyman stuff. Some things take a little time to get done, but he is very busy. We have nationals coming up, so there is extra training required and he works long hours. We still have a reno of a Granny Flat to finish because he's been too busy to get it done.

BTW, I don't pay people to do my nails either. I prefer the natural look and think that manicures are a complete waste of time and money. I can think of many other places I'd rather put my funds instead of getting my nails done. :D

Sometimes us women just need to vent a bit. Although we may feel frustrated at times it's not done in malice. Hubby knows this, or I'd be in all sorts of trouble right now (which I'm not, BTW).:D

another point to consider is that if you expect him to fail, he will meet those expectations.

if you expect him to succeed, then he will always meet those, too.

depends on how you are, is how he will be - men are very simple but i think women do try to overcomplicate things a .... lot.

Back