What unemployment?

Many of you will know we are in the throws of buying a car mechanical, brake and tyre business.

We need to fill a position there for a workshop manager when we take over.

So, I'm now looking at various ways to advertise the position; one of which is seek.com.au.

I thought I'd do a search for mechanics jobs to get an idea of how they are advertised, wage rates etc.

To my surprise, around Australia right now there only 731 jobs vacant in this field!

So, to all the newspapers, radio and tv shows - I say; what unemployment?

There are literally thousands of jobs going around the country in all industries.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I started a new job last Monday, It was the first interview I went for and it only took 2 weeks from when I started applying for jobs and I have no experience at all in this job.

What unemployment?

I would think just looking at a figure like this would tell you very little.

But then with new car sales dropping and assuming people are holding onto their older cars longer mechanics may well be a job that doesn't suffer at all in a downturn.

don't even need to be tertiary educated. i was in my local target the other day and on my way out asked if there were any jobs going to see how the employment situation was going.

well, they nearly fell over themselves to try and get me to fill in an application. i said that i'd only think about 3 days a week during school hours - not a problem, they said, we are desparate for staff.

hubby's car is also in (again) getting the tranmission fixed and it's taking ages as they are short staffed. the owner said they had been advertising for nearly 12 months but cannot get a transmission trained mechanic who is prepared to work full time.

so, both skill levels seem to be required - just need to get off the butt and be prepared to work.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I started a new job last Monday, It was the first interview I went for and it only took 2 weeks from when I started applying for jobs and I have no experience at all in this job.

What unemployment?

What's your field Shady?

I'd be interested to know if anyone on the forum has been laid off recently (earn > $100K), and finding it difficult to find another job. I'm OK at present but always seek to cover the downside.

don't even need to be tertiary educated. i was in my local target the other day and on my way out asked if there were any jobs going to see how the employment situation was going.

well, they nearly fell over themselves to try and get me to fill in an application. i said that i'd only think about 3 days a week during school hours - not a problem, they said, we are desparate for staff.

Indeed Lizzie.. coles and woolies can't fill their vacancies too.

i need 2 drafties with a min 3 years experience.

think i can find them? no. so i work till 11:30 at night to keep up.

7% UE is a historical average, not the end of the world. jobs will still be there.

i need 2 drafties with a min 3 years experience.

think i can find them? no. so i work till 11:30 at night to keep up.

7% UE is a historical average, not the end of the world. jobs will still be there.

What sort of drafties?
For some reason there is an oversupply of civil/structural drafties in Brisbane at the moment.. I'll tell them to go to Perth ;)

I imagine that this would vary greatly for different industries.

I work in IT in sydney, and the job market is screeching to a halt. My company has released over 100 contractors in the past few months - and im finding the market is flooded with strong candidates.

From my discussions with recruiters - when I can contact them - they have so many candidates they can afford to be really picky.

Ive held on till now - but my contract is beign renewed on a monthly basis.

No complaints - Im a contractor and therefore the risks are mine. Although this market will make things difficult.

i would have though that 731 jobs in that field across the country was a low number, meaning that unemployment is rising.

This means that there are 731 jobs that need to be filled. Just in one industry.

If unemployment was rising, this would suggest there are no jobs available, but there are plenty.

And, that's just one website.

Then, there are the newspapers.

i would have though that 731 jobs in that field across the country was a low number, meaning that unemployment is rising.

This means that there are 731 jobs that need to be filled. Just in one industry.

If unemployment was rising, this would suggest there are no jobs available, but there are plenty.

And, that's just one website.

Then, there are the newspapers.

In looking for senior corporate accounting positions, we are finding each job is advertised with at least 6 different recruiters - so the actual number of ad's is quite deceiving.....

There are also many "baiting" ad's - ie. just to get you to send your resume, with no actual posiiton behind them.

Cheers,

The Y-man

my husband is looking for intermediate accounting position around the central coast or hornsby and not having much luck. He just got his CPA and he has experience across a broad range of feilds including tax, insolvancy, auditing and superannuation with solid reference from both his current and past employer.. He has applied directly to jsut about every firm he can find and has met with countless recruitment firms... but nothing yet.

He is looking for something in these areas because it is closer to home, and his current company although haven't taken any action yet have warned staff that they are going to have to let some people go due $$$.... so since he was planning to find a job closer to home in the next few months anyway, he has decided to look at leaving now.

it is a real worry, if he can't find something and his current firm do happen to decide to let him go we are not going to be in a great position.... might send hubby off to target to work!

I am finding the same as Y-man for my field. recruiters are putting out more bait ads.....vague ads about multiple positions to meet the lifestyle desires of professionals with any level of experience.

Meanwhile, I've noted around a 70% drop in the jobs advertised by the public sector.

BV, have you thought about approaching guys/girls from one of the nearby dealerships? They must be feeling the strain, and the employees must be wondering when they'll get a pink slip.

A competitive salary with a performance bonus in 12 months might ease your cash flow concerns and anchor him for that long.

BV, have you thought about approaching guys/girls from one of the nearby dealerships? They must be feeling the strain, and the employees must be wondering when they'll get a pink slip.

A competitive salary with a performance bonus in 12 months might ease your cash flow concerns and anchor him for that long.

Absolutely, WW.

But, we need to be a bit careful; I don't think you can just waltz into the local workshops and ask.

I have already got some text written up for the local papers to put in the Classifieds, and it is worded to attract either a current manager, or someone who is looking to step up.

I am happy to take on someone who is in that situation.

I have already done some research on what a workshop manager/mechanic should earn, and I intend to pay him/her slightly over the odds anyway to attract someone.

I think the timing is great; lots of job uncertainty around, so we should get some interest, and there may be someone already out there who has been recently laid off and looking for work.

I left an over 100K position late last year for health reasons. When I tried to get part time work once things got back on track, there was nothing available when normally firms are screaming out for employees. A friend of mine was retrenched a few weeks ago and can't find another job. We're both in the law field. Lots or retrenchments/redundancies in the smaller law firms at present.

To my surprise, around Australia right now there only 731 jobs vacant in this field!

Maybe the employers have been offering such crap money for so many years everyone with a brain went into property speculation or banking? I can assure you mechanics are not treated as "valuable team members".

Have you thought about having a drink somewhere other than The Club? Meet some on neutral turf and find out what they would need to change jobs? If they are working for a major dealership the money might not be easy to match but just a little independence and respect may work wonders. Just a thought.

Back