whats happening to australia?

Food for thought.

So many people today get divorced, and I can remember my children feeling as though they were in a minority group, because they had a mother and a father, married, living together.

I am sure Winston can give a spreadsheet on the rate of divorce over the years?

The single parent family, the conflicting advice between parents who are separated and getting at each other through the children are not helping the current situation, and at the risk of going off topic, it's possible that people don't put the same effort into marriage in the first place, and work hard at it as they can get a divorce all too easily. or maybe they are not prepared to put up with things that their parents and grandparents tolerated.

One other thought. I know of a 21 yr old girl who has 4-5 children to different fathers, has no intention of getting married, and is living comfortably on welfare thank you very much. No male role model and no female role model either in this case.

Slim:)

These problems have very little to do with video games or TV, many people have being watching TV and playing games for many years and they don't go around killing people.

It's the parents, the video games is an easy way out. Just walk down any mall in any Australian town or city and have a good look at some of the parents and their attitudes.

It's the parents, the video games is an easy way out. Just walk down any mall in any Australian town or city and have a good look at some of the parents and their attitudes.

if i did this, i'd need to be carrying a flak cannon or an AK47 and imagine they were all zombies...

I was just telling my kids about some old songs where the bands dressed up funny.
I went to Skyhooks.... "Horror Movie, its the 6.30 news, and its shocking me right out of my brain."
I guess things probably seemed bad in 1973 as well.
Pen

We have all been trapped in the age of technology and I for one wanted to change that in my family,even if it was for only one day a week.

I originally came up with the idea that we go without power for one day a week,however that was not taken aboard so well by the wife.:(

So I hatched up another scheme,we do not use computers,TV's,play stations' DS,s,basically anything electronic or LCD for one day a week.

We chose Sunday as the day,
We started this about a month ago,first Sunday everyone was miserable,and to be honest I was too? Are we addicted to technology?

Second Sunday,we started to do things with the kids,read books,go to the park,ride motorbikes,listen to music,at night instead of sitting in front of the TV,we played cards,games,listened to the wireless.

Third Sunday,the children surprised me,when they woke up,they were so happy,they started calling it the fun day:eek: (Is it fun day today Daddy?)

Now we make every Sunday the Fun day and no one wants to change it for anything,as it slows us down and you would not believe how many hours are in a day.

We now can even lie in bed at night and talk without the TV on,just listening to the wireless.

Does anyone else on this forum do or have done something like this??

I would thoroughly recommend it;)

Does anyone else on this forum do or have done something like this??

Well, we don't have a TV, Playstation, Wii, or anything else like that at all. One radio / CD player in the kitchen and a computer that also plays DVDs (very occasionally) for the kids.

Wouldn't have it any other way. I've wasted too much of my life already in front of a TV and got nothing from the experience.

I'm not sure what I said that has provoked such a personal attack, but I think that if you read my posts in full, rather than taking a couple of sentences out of context, you would find that my original posts have fairly clearly and extensively outlined both my opinion and referenced the posts that I was commenting on. So, I don't see any benefit in responding in any more detail to your post.
Pen

we have one television about to be upgraded because it died.

poor 6 year old mono $99 special - i will miss you.

no telly in the bedroom. no second telly room. no Wii / PS / XBox.

We have our one and only trusty small screen TV, which I am close to kicking-in if wifey persists in watching debatable crap such as model reality TV and Sex in the City.

Seriously, if I want to hear 40-50 year old women talking about how much sex they're getting, I'd simply go to the public swimming pool on a Tuesday morning.

Zargor

DISCLAIMER

The comments above are not intended to be a reference to anybody on this forum, either past, present or future members, or anybody that may arguably resemble a horse - like SJP.

Back