Whipper Snipper

After 5 years my Pope whipper snipper passed away today ... after spending a couple of hours fiddling with it I have decided to purchase new one.

So ... for all of you who do mowing ... what is the best petrol one out there in the market for a home ? Don't need tradie grade.

Anyone ?

I have a stihl one that unpaid around $250 brand new. Not a paid snipper, the Honda ones are great as well. Apparently the straight shaft ones are the best

Choice testing in October 2014 recommended the Husqvarna 122C, RRP $199. Scored better than many of the more expensive models.

Ryobi RBC254FSDSN scored only 1 point lower, RRP $210, and a bit lighter.

I'd get a four stroke Honda. Probably more expensive than most other stuff though. I've got a two stroke Stihl. Hard to start sometimes and I'm a big fan of Stihl. It's 10 years old though and I haven't touched the thing apart from adding more line. Can't go wrong with Honda. Just depends how much you want to spend. Some Chinese made thing from Bunnings might be OK, or might not?

See ya's.

I'd get a four stroke Honda. Probably more expensive than most other stuff though. I've got a two stroke Stihl. Hard to start sometimes and I'm a big fan of Stihl. Can't go wrong with Honda. Just depends how much you want to spend. Some Chinese made thing from Bunnings might be OK, or might not?

See ya's.

These Honda trimmers are no longer made in Japan ... they make them in Thailand now :eek:

Just went out and checked. I have a Stihl. I get my employees do my lawns! :D

They must be good, because my blokes haven't broken it yet! :eek:

pinkboy

These Honda trimmers are no longer made in Japan ... they make them in Thailand now :eek:

That wouldn't worry me at all. If it has the Honda name it would be fine. Honda wouldn't risk buggering up their fine reputation. Are Stihls and husqvarnas still made in Germany or Sweden? Dunno but wouldn't be surprised if they are made in Thailand or elsewhere too? The smaller cheaper stuff anyway? Just speculation as usual.:)

See ya's.

I too would go 4 stroke if the budget permits. 2 strokes don't work with 10% ethanol nor do mowers - lesson learned. They need oil too, apparently ;)

Current whipper snipper is still working after 10 years or so. Don't know what brand but bought from the mower shop - well worth a visit.

I know you said you didn't want/need tradie level equip, but I'm just adding my rec anyway in case it helps someone else. :)

We have a Honda 4-stroke; this one actually: http://powerequipment.honda.com.au/Commercial_Brushcutters/UMK435_Bike_Handle

If you are doing long stretches of whippering, or anything on slopes, the ones with a harness are invaluable. Ours gets a fair amount of use and has been bulletproof so far. It's definitely not cheap, but the outlay has been well worth it for us.

I have a Honda 4 stroke. Bought it 18 months ago and it's on it's second roll of cutting line and its thrid tank of petrol.

Easy to start, quiet, reliable and very fuel efficient.

Recommended.

Back