Whirly Birds and Damp

As far as specific companies - well I am glad you asked. They seem to be a mottle crew of self professed experts pushing specific products at over inflated prices.:eek:

No doubt our previous poster has a company that sells such a product.:p:D

At least he refrains from posting a link.

This was my first (perhaps cynical) thought but I couldn't see any link in his profile. I would like to know which "expert" to call because this is a big issue for many homeowners and landlords, and as I've found, some roofer was quite happy to rip me off to the tune of $25K for a roof to replace one that was perfectly fine.

This was my first (perhaps cynical) thought but I couldn't see any link in his profile. I would like to know which "expert" to call because this is a big issue for many homeowners and landlords, and as I've found, some roofer was quite happy to rip me off to the tune of $25K for a roof to replace one that was perfectly fine.

Hi Wylie, yes I am an expert in the business and no you don't see my link as I am here to give advice where needed. However when you have sinister posters whom still cannot solve the issue other than "throw the bay out with the bath water" that'll solve the problem' !!!!
In respect to your roofer -yes, he was trying to gain financial benefit form a simple condensation problem.
In respect to a product being sold - No we sell several products and a service to go with it. We don't sell, we resolve and back our promise to resolve.
However as a landlord, I now how easy it is to go the cheapy route, but it always costs more in the end.:)
So. you may heed my advice without gain or not. Good luck.

I don't understand why you don't tell us who you are, what you sell, how it works. You didn't put up a link but rather criticized the many who are guessing how to fix the problem saying we should call the experts.

I asked "who do we call"? I have no idea who can fix this. I guessed a roofer would be first call but I chose a rip off roofer. Next roofer said our roof was fine. So I'm asking you on behalf of all the landlords "what sort of expert looks after this problem?"

If all the advice you have read on here from people trying to help others is wrong then why not at least tell us who to call (roofer, plumber, whirly bird salesman?). Or do we just guess?:confused:

In my case I believe the small mould issue was a result of freak weather. We have had this house in our family probably 25 years and this mould was a "one off". We had the ceiling cleaned by our painter with some product for this purpose and painted. I think he may have put in an additive or used an oil based sealer first (cannot recall). One year later no further problems.

I suggest you tell us what the product is so those with problems with mould can consider it. If you keep us guessing that is all we will do... guess.

Hi Wylie, I did not put my details up as I have been on other forums and been knocked for it, in respect to spam. However now that you asked, I cam respond. The company is Solair, www.solair.com.au . We have several products, not one specific as mould and damp can be caused by several issues and require different remedies. I have no intention of criticism, but I take offense to posters that bitterly 'knock' others with malice.
Re ;your problem, just to let you know I had a lot of clients whose house leaked for the first time this year, reasoning -the winds have been strong and have blown with rain, to areas that were not covered due to the area being hidden from the 'prevailing winds', So ;yes this may be a once in a a 25 year occurrence. But it may also be something like, guttering overflowing into eaves, valley lines open up, pin hole leak, heavy condensation running back down underside of roof etc, etc,
Some things people forget is that there is at least a cup of water evaporated from a daily hot shower, if the fan vents to the loft 'tahts where the water goes. warm day it evaporates within the roof to the whole section, cool night and the vapour condensates on the colder parts of the roof, in turn dripping back onto insulation and gyproc. Hence went ceiling board, Consider this for everyday, every year and work out how much water your house can absorb....

I hope this helps some......:)

Thanks for that link. Is it possible to give an idea of what product from your range a brick house in Brisbane with a tiled roof that has leaked once in 25 years would likely need? It seems to be sorted now with no mould in the year since it was cleaned and painted, but I'm keen to know where to turn if we have any other mould issues in any of the houses we look after.

We had two roofs checked the same day (a year ago). Guess what? The dodgy roofer said they both needed replacing. What a scam artist, and thankfully my bull$h!t radar was in good working order. Second roofer checked them both, and said they were both fine. One had a leak that I believe was long ago fixed, but tell tale water mark made us get the roof checked before we painted it. Second roof was the one that had mild mould issues after some strange Brisbane weather.

We look after several houses, most with zincalume roofs. We have had a couple of minor issues, mostly due to leaking valleys on a tiled roof (house now sold). (It seems the tiled roofs have more weak spots as far as leaks is concerned?)

What sort of product or system and what sort of money are we talking to stop mould on a ceiling? Is there a ballpark idea you can give or some real life examples of what works and maybe an idea of the cost for a few different real life fixes?

This is a big problem for many landlords and owners, and I believe some sort of idea of price and type of fix would be welcomed on the forum.

Hi Wylie, the Solar Whiz we use draws hig volumes of air through the roof space. This mainatins cooling, and consistent ventilation there by minimising any moisture damage to internal structure whether it be form leak or occupant moisture. However, if you get to back to the second builder who seams to be openly honest about roof problems. The metal roofs tend to leak from wind at the cappings and valleys, the rest is from weepy fixings. Tiles tend to crack without notice and valleys are another weak point, a good wind and the rain goes straight in, runs down the rafter and you think the leak is where the stain is!!! The solar fans keeping the house cool will assist to keep tenant happy, happy tenant -minimum voids.

Can you give a ballpark figure to fit one?

Do you remove a tile (or several) and where does the solar panel sit?

And how do you fit to a zincalume roof?

I'll check your site but I'm on iPhone now. Also rough cost would be great.

Also, we don't have this issue in Brisbane, but would this work in cold climates where people seem to have tenants who close windows all winter long?

In respect to a product being sold - No we sell several products and a service to go with it. We don't sell, we resolve and back our promise to resolve.

Can I recommend you go with a company that deals with the problem daily and really knows how to resolve your problem rather than saying I will install this and that and it might work!!! Get a guarantee that the solution solves the problem. "Sticking" a whirly bird or two and eaves vents will not necessarily fix the problem, Badly placed they will be useless, like trying to cool your house with a battery powered desk fan:eek:

Install a product that will fix the problem, give quality fresh through the building, reduce risk from termite attack, clean warm air - happy tenant, in turn building is protected, tenant is very happy and does not want to move, rent goes marginally up and you have no void periods for years!!! I know what I would do..

I'm a bit confused now with your statements above, and the fact I can buy one of these (assumably this is your ebay site?). Would I be buying it and choosing where to place it (which you say can be got very wrong, and you have said would be "useless", or would your company be installing it and guaranteeing that it solves the problem? What does that cost, over and above the cost of buying via ebay?

Do you sell these through your website, or via ebay? Who installs and what sort of guarantee comes with one bought off ebay? Who installs if I buy on ebay?

I'm a bit confused now with your statements above, and the fact I can buy one of these (assumably this is your ebay site?). Would I be buying it and choosing where to place it (which you say can be got very wrong, and you have said would be "useless", or would your company be installing it and guaranteeing that it solves the problem? What does that cost, over and above the cost of buying via ebay?

Do you sell these through your website, or via ebay? Who installs and what sort of guarantee comes with one bought off ebay? Who installs if I buy on ebay?
Ok Wylie, sorry for the confusion. We do provide the service, however we do not have an installer in your area. (I will check on monday). I sent you the ebay link so you could see the product as last email, you seamed confused. You may buy direct from us or ebay and have a tradesman install.
But I can only advise on the information you inform me about, which if incorrect or info missing could affect my direct answer. However, I also said the fan could and would remove that much ventilation that even a small leak and its associated dampness would be removed until as such time a stain or leak is physically seen. If you email teh website direct [email protected] , I will give you all the full warranties and any other associated info... If nothing else you will be better informed to assess your problems.

Back