Why are you a member of this forum?

I have spent the day considering the question posed in this thread.

My answer will be presented in three posts, which I will submit starting with:

1)[font=&quot] [/font]Why are you a member of this forum:

I think it is important to disclose what might be viewed as vested interests.

Followed by:

2)[font=&quot] [/font]What is DCT:

This will be a short (Not a book) description of what Dollar Cost Trading is and how it works.

3)[font=&quot] [/font]Suggested protocol for forum members.

Perhaps if forum members followed a guideline of what is acceptable / unacceptable practice, we might then avoid unpleasant situations.

Why am I a member of this forum:

First up I wish to disclose that I own various businesses that are involved with property, equities and planning.

Two of these businesses are:

Navra Financial Services - a Financial Planning business:

In order to be legally able to give advice to clients, one needs to have a Financial Planning license. NFS is one of the VERY few financial planning groups that will give direct advice about, and INCLUDE PROPERTY as a suggested medium of investment.

Navrainvest LTD:

Is a Funds Management business that offers clients the opportunity to invest in shares.

Formed at the request and behest of NFS clients so that we all have a safe and valid medium in which to invest in shares. This business is half owned by myself and my clients. (Many of who are forum members)

My reasons for being a member are as follows:

• I regard this forum as being the premier source of property investment knowledge in Australia. The information contained within the forum is superior to most all investment books I have read. I personally have learned heaps from this forum, and the most impressive thing about this resource is that it is interactive . . . meaning you can ask a question and almost immediately obtain your answer.
  • One of my prime reasons for running the planning business is that it is my means of offering FREE EDUCATION about a subject that has been my life and passion since I was 16 years old. Contrary to some forum members’ belief, NFS is not a big profit generating business. In fact it runs at a financial loss each year! You might ask “Why I would operate a business at a loss?” The answer is simply that I hope each year that it will break even :rolleyes:; but in essence, I am fully financially independent with all the income required being generated from my investment assets. (I have been living off equity for many years now) I run the planning business as a ‘retirement hobby’. I love running the educational Structure Courses and this is the legal and compliant method to do this.
  • I DO NOT use this forum as an advertisement for the planning business.
The planning business has in excess of 1,500 clients and all new business is self generated by referral from these satisfied clients.

• I offer free educational knowledge to forum members via some of the articles I post, as well as giving FREE EVENING talks to any of this FORUM’s investor groups, whenever they have asked me to do so. (SIG, BIG, MIG . . . have been to Perth and Adelaide by request from forum members there too) The knowledge I share freely on the forum, together with the talks to Forum groups means that it is NOT NECESSARY for forum members to attend my formal Structure Courses. (Which would cost them $176 per person) Most forum members are self-doers; they read investment books and articles, source their own assets etc. Yes some forum members have attended my courses and most of these who have attended have enlisted our help with their planning, but I wish to emphasize that LESS than 10% of course attendees come from the forum. (So suggestions of me generating huge profit from the forum is not true, nor is it the reason why I contribute to the forum.

• I DO USE THE FORUM:
The structure I advocate to my clients is of an ADVANCED STRUCTURE nature. Many clients come to me for help and they are very far from advanced or sophisticated investors. I therefore use this forum as a basic educational tool by suggesting to this level of client investor that they acquire the Jan Somers books (Rich Dad, Poor Dad also) and that they READ THIS FORUM. This forms their basic financial education; and they can learn and gain value in an interactive way.

This helps me as I do not have the time (or inclination) to offer “basic” educational courses. I have tried to help many people (Forum members) to get started, so that they could run ‘Basic Structure Courses’, but the compliance and licensing requirements rendered it too expensive and too difficult to do.

Thus, I USE the forum as a “basic educational tool” for all people who might be interested in investing.

I hope this full disclosure goes some way to satisfying other members about what my self interest and credible reason is for my participation.

I encourage other members to post why they choose to be members of this forum.

Regards,

Steve

Why I'm a member of this forum

I love talking, reading, learning, debating ect ect ect about property. :)

It is exciting to talk about something I like doing. It's encouraging to talk to those doing it aswell, at all levels.

Where else can you stimulate your brain about property investing except on a forum like this.

Why am I a member - the answer I want to give is that I want to be part of an excellent communal property resource and help where I can. :rolleyes: Truth is, I don't have a lot to offer compared to the depth of experience and knowledge of many on this forum... and so find that I ask many more questions that I can answer.

People like Steve Navra (and others) are amazing, not just for their knowledge and ideas, but their generosity. Agree or not, this is free and valuable information, posted in a most elegant and constructive manner, and it is appalling that some personally criticize the authors and distribution in this open but normally professional format.

Forum protocol is simple. Manners. It's terrible that some members need reminding of manners, but manners are the only protocol needed. If something has got up your nose that much, PM it until resolved, and then post the results.

Steve and others, please don't let a few brats in the school yard slow you down, or lower this forum, us mere moral PI need our daily dose of information and ideas.

Why I'm here - Self interest

I like learning from people who are smarter than me.

When I first discovered Somersoft I thought everyone posting regulary here fitted into this category. I don't really care what a persons motivation for posting is as long as I'm learning from them.

I think there are lots of people who are doing very well financially as a direct result of the SS community, and not only the people providing financial services. It's truly a win-win if someone providing knowledge and answers to the forum also gets a new customer as a result.

My experience is that the balance on SS is pretty healthy in most respects.

I might add one final point about human nature which I have said before.. There will always be a whole range of responses from humans to the same material. There will always be the doubters, the believers, the trolls, the confused, the whole range. Pays not to be too surprised by any single reaction I think.

Last edited:
Why am I a member of this forum? Simply to surround myself with like-minded people and to learn from one another the and their property investing experiences and views and thoughts.

It is said, "iron will sharpen iron" and by surrounding myself with like-minded people who may and may not share or agree with my own views about property investing, I learn to grow as a person and to sharpen my own property investment thinking and experience, so that I learn tl receive lesser knocks in life and to wisely avoid those unnneccessary ones, having learnt/profit from someone's else experiences through their sharing of thieir own live investing experiences in this forum.

Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

ABOUT STEVE
I don't know you from a bar of soap. But I know you have a rational mind and a lot of experience in investing. And I am always happy to read your views.

I don't see you as using the forum out of self interested ulterior motives at all.

The quality of your many considered contributions leaves me in no doubt of your motivation for being here. I see you as someone who posts a 'point of view', more knowledgeable than many, without any pressure on others to blindly accept.

In saying that, I have had a look at your 48million dollar navrainvest animal, and pondered whether it is a strong investment....I am undecided as yet. However, I find the idea of taking a margin loan to leverage, a reasonable tax minimization strategy, esp if 12 months interest is paid before june 30.

The only other advice I have been getting from financial advisors in the real world, is to go and buy trees....100% tax deduction....but can't touch or leverage off that capital for 10 years.....!!!!!

WHY I USE THIS FORUM
Steve, you along with knowledgeable people in the industry like Peter Spann, Kevin Hockey, Brenda Irwin, and Kristine are one of the major drawcards for me staying with this forum. I started out using Steve McKnight's forum, but found there was a lot of little egos jamming things up there.

I used to be concerned forums were quite antisocial, hooking people for hours into a cyberworld, with little flow on effect into the real world. However, I have found the benefits of the somersoft forum have transferred across into the real world. For instance, I have had very constructive very helpful phone conversations with Geoff and Acey Ducey in relation to a business concept I have been thinking of for some time. Both of them offered the highest quality insight and feedback, and were extremely generous with their time (Thanks Acey for that long call on Wednesday night). You would be hard pressed to get that sort of interaction in any local pub or barbecue.

And that is the beauty of this forum. It puts you in touch with like mindeds who are passionate and serious and often more experienced. All the motivational books talk about finding a mentor. This forum goes a long way to being that for many. The trickle down effect is alive here. Society can only benefit if more of us emulate the ethical successes of those who have been where we want to go.

And then there is the BIG meetings in Brisbane. They are unique, and have been given birth out of a cooperative unselfish spirit. And I think anyone who attends them realizes that. The free sharing of quality info is amazing. We benefit, society benefits, when more of us direct capital into more efficient ethical enterprise. And that is the primary motive I feel from most of the people attending the meetings.

Further, today I caught up with Waysolid and another switched on friend, for lunch on the Gold Coast. We had a really constructive afternoon talking about different investments, and brain storming ad lib. There we were, with business proposals and worked spreadsheets crowding the glasses of shiraz on the restaurant table. Nerdy? Maybe....but uninhibited passion flowed...

Then we went and had a look at the display apartments in Q1, the world's tallest residential tower. Very nicely finished, if a little small. But the view from the 43rd floor (of 80+) was uncompromising.

So the reason I visit this forum is the quality of the interaction about property is unmatched. It would be great to see it evolve to equally cover all forms of business enterprise. As Waysolid and I agreed on today, the best investment is a great business idea.

DCT
can I assume this is the same thing as dollar cost averaging? where you buy a packages of shares or property regularly across time... in an effort to smooth out the volatility of a market......

Why are you a member of this forum?

I am a member of this forum because it is such a huge collection of knowledge and experience.

I wanted to become a part of this vast "compendium of knowledge", to enable myself to read and learn more about investing, whether it be property, shares, or what not. I also want to learn by attempting to answer questions for those who need answers — this way I can get involved, and "grow".

Being an interactive resource, I believe it enables one to learn in different ways, and discuss ideas, experiences, successes and failures, with real people who have done, have not done, or are doing.

I also find this forum a great way to "keep in touch" with the "goings on" in PI, and it serves to continually keep me interested and inspired in property investment. :)

thefirstbruce said:
Then we went and had a look at the display apartments in Q1, the world's tallest residential tower. Very nicely finished, if a little small. But the view from the 43rd floor was uncompromising.

So you can walk in it now, can you? :eek:

I was there in Jan/Feb just gone. Has it changed much since this this photo, (31/01/05)?

Just curious...

Anyway, don't want to go too far off topic here...

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 143
The forum provides to me a community of like-minded people who I can discuss and share ideas with and learn from.

Beyond our first property, I attribute all of our investing success so far to things I have learned both directly and indirectly as a result of this forum.

I have also made some very close friends from the community here.

And it keeps me off the streets :D

Disclaimer: I have a vested interest in being involved in the forum - I intend to make money from the ideas discussed here :p

there's an elevator that takes you straight to the 43rd floor.
they have all the apartments on the floor open for inspection. they're all white...white on white....always makes apartments look bigger....

the building looks about the same as the pic you put up....

i think they only had about 10 apartments unsold.....but then maybe there is a lot of churning going on before settlement too....

Why am I a member of this forum?

I love the sense of community.
Where else can one find a bunch of like minded people that love to talk about their passion with as much passion as the members of Somersoft do? After a while you get to feel like you know some of the more outspoken members quite well.

The information is invaluable.
Where else can you ask a question and have accountants, property managers, mortgage brokers, financial planners, quantity surveyors, fellow real estate agents etc and investors with many lifetimes of experience answering questions with in depth answers and so many different points of view? Some we agree with and some we don’t but all give balance to any debate.

I too can contribute in some small way and be involved. And often while posting, I get a deeper insight into what I’m saying because typing things out makes me think more about what I’m trying to convey.

I often get a good laugh out of some of the things people come out with. Mrs SOS thinks I’m a little crazy. (I think she’s right! :p)

The forum keeps me focused (sometimes a little too much). Keeping yourself motivated to look for opportunities and invest can be difficult but its sort of like a team thing here. And knowing that there are so many others out there doing it makes it all seem easier.

And I'm sure if i analysed it long enough, I'd find some more reasons too, least of which is, I'm addicted to it!! :p :rolleyes:

Cheers :cool:

Why I am here

Over 2 years and far less visits here than I would like, I have enjoyed advice from people way smarter than me.

The common thread I have seen in successful people in my 38 years on this planet and 16 years working hard for a living, plus the 6 most recent years making other things work for me, is they surround themselves with people who are extremely good at what they do.

This forum is full of people who are extremely good at what they do, and gives you an opportunity to be surrounded by great people without paying them !

I went to the same high school as Peter Spann, and I take my hat off to him as he was definitely not voted 'most likely to succeed' and has overcome some issues in his early years and used these to strengthen his resolve and he appears to be a great success. And bloo_dy good on him. We both went to school with lots of 'footy heroes' who were not taught being athletically superior in high school doesn't get you to retirement, and heroes become zeroes pretty quick in the big kids playground. I hope my kid will enter the working world with a way better start than I had, and that's another part of why I'm here.

Anyway that was meant to be on topic - why I am here. It takes all kinds to make up this crazy world, the forum is a great place for a like-minded cross section of the crazies to swap ideas ;-).

And its never too late to change a path you're on, for the better. The more I read here, the more motivated I get to do the next thing better or differently.

All the best
TryHard

PS
(thefirstbruce, DCT (selling on the upswing and buying in the downturns) is nothing like dollar cost averaging (which limits the returns because you soak up the profits you made when you bought well, by buying the same stock poorly). If you get a chance to see Steve present, do so. Its definitely worth it. I'm not trying to sound like an expert - I had nothing in the sharemarket 2 years ago and now thanks to Steve I have a decent income stream from it until I get enough together for the next property.)

Last edited:
I started on the forum about 4-5 years ago knowing not much about property investing but with a lot of enthusiasm and an knowledge that what I'd been doing before wasn't the way to go. I'd been triggered into action after my fortieth Birthday and subsequently reading Rich Dad Poor Dad. I have always had an interest in property even when younger and used to spend many hours looking through houses with my parents when they made one of their various moves. As a result , while I wasn't an active investor I have watched the property market in sydney and to a lesser extent melbourne since I first arrived in Australia in 1969 . The first house my parents bought ( for 25k ) , recently sold around 1.5 mil...

On the forum the main influence on my attitudes was Nivia aka " The Wife " ... ( not mine :D ) who was talking about cash flow positive properties and creative investing long before it became popular. She spent alot of time in the chat room questioning my opinions about investing and made me realise the importance of developing my own ideas and not necessarily trusting the opinions of experts. So I have the attitude of listening to everyone , including the experts , but then making up my own plan which tends to be a combination of other ideas gelled together in a slightly different way.

I've got a lot out of the forum , in terms of knowledge , friends and money and I believe in putting something back. I enjoy the mental stimulation of posting and I have found that the discipline of actually putting my thoughts on to paper and putting it out there for people to comment on helps me develop and clarify my ideas. I do believe that I have a responsibility to provide acurate information , and question things I have concerns about. I do " speak my mind " at times , however for every post that starts of like this , the majority get deleted prior to posting ;)

See Change

G'day all.

I'm a farmer, and I own a very overvalued farm, that is not for sale. I have been highly geared for years, and have done well. The last 2 years have seen the value of my farm double for no sensible reason, other than this crazy property boom.

I have done well the last 2 years by realising how cheap the sharemarket was. I was geared into shares, but now just fully invested. I'm now really into the resource boom, but would like to see a correction in property prices, so I could swap back over. Property is so much less volatile. I really believe that property and shares have a simple inverse relationship, investors piling from one to the other, then back again. At the moment I can still see value in shares, but not property. Especially resources. This will soon change. It's happening now.

I am hopeing to buy back into property as the lemmings jump from property to the sharemarket.

While I live in the bush, I am interested in coastal and city property, and hobby farms in the bush. In other words, property with high land content. I just can't believe the prices that are being payed for rural houses in small towns with virtually no land content. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

I belong to this forum so that I can tell when the best time is to sell my shares, and get into property. In other words, I'm trying to time the markets. People much smarter than me say you can't do it, but I believe you can, and I'm going to try. I mainly look at the price to earnings of an investment to decide property or shares.

I'm very overweight resources. Especially coal stocks. I'm underweight banks, retail, and property related stocks. Banks were a very bad investment after the last property boom ended in 1989, for obvious reasons. I have been a sharemarket bull, but as the market gets higher and higher, I am getting more nervous. Another 10% will see me taking profits, and if the average market PE gets anywhere near 20, I will be fully cash. The last 2 market peaks, March 2000, and October 1987, happened with PE's well into the 20's. Average PE's are now 15.

See ya's.

Why Am I A Member Of This Forum

Very simple for me to answer this.

To learn (which I do)
To share (hopefully I have done and will continue to do so)
To have the occasional laugh.

Regards
Marty

Why i am a member of this forum

I am a relative newcomer to property investing and have a lot to learn, i use this forum as an educational tool. I have learned so much from the wealth of knowledge of the experienced investors who post here.

Foston

There is allways a vested interest.........

It's just that vested interest may not be financial and it may be about helping others rather than yourself.

I'm sure some of the more senior members of this forum like Aceyducey, GeoffW, Steve Navra, SimonJulie and the like post mainly out of a wish to help others rather than anything they themselves get out of the forum.

topcropper said:
I'm very overweight resources. Especially coal stocks. I'm underweight banks, retail, and property related stocks. Banks were a very bad investment after the last property boom ended in 1989, for obvious reasons. I have been a sharemarket bull, but as the market gets higher and higher, I am getting more nervous. Another 10% will see me taking profits, and if the average market PE gets anywhere near 20, I will be fully cash. The last 2 market peaks, March 2000, and October 1987, happened with PE's well into the 20's. Average PE's are now 15.

See ya's.

resonate with your thoughts here TC. have followed a similar investment line to you. I have been wondering where the money is going after coal tops out. I had thought maybe gold and silver, considering Bears love hoarding it.

But then, this China Syndrome seems to keep moving along with lots of momentum. Am wondering if moving back to the larger resources like BHP and RIO will offer more secure upside than the mid/small cap coalies...

I thought a move back to property might be at least 12 months off yet. Though creative value adds are always in season.

Hi all

I have only been a member of this forum for less than 1 month. I came across it accidentally while doing a google search.

So far it has been a great experience and there is a lot of resources available.

I also discovered I could learn some new ideas as well share a lot of my thoughts and ideas with people who may not be as advanced in the in the investing game. I am fortunate in that I have had extensive education through courses, mentors and personal experience. I see this as an opportunity to give back something to the community.

In my journey I have reached the stage where I now develop properties. I have also started my own business www.developersedge.com.au to help investors looking to enter property development but don't know where to start.

I also look forward to attending some of the forum meetings to meet some of the forum menbers.

Back