Why are you a member of this forum?

Hey Francesco.

Thanks for the comments. I wasn't going to reply as I thought people were getting tired of the share stuff, but since no one has added to the thread, I'll go on bit.

I notice that on the 'dollar cost trading thread', that people are saying that shares have nothing to do with property. How wrong that is. I see that shares and property are so related in so many ways, especially the boom and bust cycles. How about in October 1987. The sharemarket was more overvaluered then than at just about any other time. It tripled in a matter of years. Even more overvalued then March 2000. What happens? A bust of course. Anyone who knew how to value the sharemarket would have been out for six months. Then what happens? Everyone piles into property. Then what happens? Property busts in 1989. It's all so obvious to me.

What about a few years ago. People are in a property buying frenzy. Houses are so overvalued in Sydney that it would take 50 years of rent to pay a place off. When ever that happens, I'll guarantee that shares will be cheap, and they were. Most blue chip shares were paying a dividend higher than the cost of borrowed money in March 2003. I kept a few newspaper articles from the time. One said, 'Who wants to buy shares'. This was right at the bottom. What an oppitunity. And I notice that people are complaining about the media being negative to property at the moment. They must have forgotten how negative media was to the sharemarket 2 years ago, and how bullish property. Every story was about the lossers. Nothing about the ridiculously low PE's or the great fully franked dividends. No mention of the fact that profits were gradually increasing in a booming economy. Iraq and September 11 had a lot to do with it, plus the tech wreck. People were burnt and vowed never again to buy a share. If only people learnt how to value an investment.

Actually, then again, I hope they don't. Then the great oppitunities wouldn't exist. Anyone who won't invest in the sharemarket, is missing the best value investment class half the time. And how come, on this forum, when people talk about shares, they talk about trading? What about investing. I try to hold quality companys for years. With trading, there is always a winner, and a looser. It's a zero sum game, where the really clever and brave make heaps, and most loose. I might only buy and sell shares once a month. Last 12 months it's been swapping from banks and retail into resources. I try to hold anything for 12 months for GCT. I average up, after entry, but never down. I like to hold about 20 companys. I try to cut loosers, generally do, but it's hard.

I'm fully set now in resource stocks. The prices of Iron Ore, Oil, Coal, metals have been in an uptrend for years, but stocks only took off 12 months ago. And it's not the usual boom/bust, undersupply/oversupply cycle. This time it's just increasing demand from China. Supplies can't keep up. China is already using 40% more coal, consuming 68% more meat, and 148% more steal than the US. BHP shares have gone from $8 to $19, yet they are at better value than they've been for years. Have a look at what the share prices of coal companys have done. It's not crazy speculation, it's just people working out how much money these companys are making now that coal has doubled or tripled in price. And the profits don't double or triple, the profit could go up by 1000% in that situation. I've got GCL, MCC, and CEY. Here's an interesting article...

http://www.gold-eagle.com/gold_digest_05/hamilton031105.html

Anyway, I'm glad you agree with me. I think I can profit immensly from the inverse relationship of property and shares. It's worked out OK so far. I think the sharemarket is now fair value, but I'm sure the lemmings are getting ready to pile in. Bring it on. I'm just busting to buy a hobby farm near the coast.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Hey everybody.
Just thought I'd give a quick hello and introduce myself.
My names Andrew im 19 and from the ACT, I've joined the boards recently after a bit of lurking in the shadows and reading. The reason i joined was because of my avid interest in property and all things involving wealth creation, I was training as a prop golfer for 5 years but gave it away 6 months ago to pursue other interests. Im now working in a semi-p/a role with a real estate firm here in Canberra and uppon completing the REI's real estate course that will be coming up soon i will be beginning as an Agent.
and just for the sake of it i'll give a bit of info on myself: Im heavily into cars (19y/o old no surprises there) I own a modified R33 Skyline, i play classical guitar and in general, love life! thats enough for now as i'd prefer to keep it rather brief.
So hopefully i'll be on here for quite some time, contributing as best i can and getting to know some of the local ACT members as well.
Thats all for now,
Andrew.

Top of the Crop

Hi Top Cropper

Not to detract from getting to know everyone, but that second post was a beauty too. Thanks for your posts - it is great to see the big picture view you have. I look forward to reading more of your views in the Forums

Cheers
TryHard

PS if you subdivide the hobby farm on the coast put me down for an acre
;)

Yep! most of the above.

The people with similar dreams
the expertise,
the encoragement,
the different views,
the balanced arguments :p ,
the laughs.

There is just so much information held by so many people on this forum that any serious property investor, or for that matter anyone interested in investing at all would be mad not to keep in touch if they were aware of this forum.

Unfortunately, we are not all as fluent as most of the big posters on getting thoughts into words and in the right tone. For that reason I tend to sit on the sideline. Not that my contributions would add much to the wealth of knowledge that appears almost instantly on any matter or subject anyway.

So thanks to everyone for their input and if there is anything of value that I can contribute I will.

Thanks again, and may you all get to lead the life of your dreams. (for those that are not already)

topcropper

thanks for that last bit of info and link, I've been doing quite a bit of thinking lately about resource stocks and the future.

Hi I've been a member of this forum for a couple of years now. It's inspirational and really helps me believe in myself. If others can do it - so can I. I'd like to thank all of those who contribute their knowledge or stories with such style. I rarely feel I have much to add as I'm not an experienced investor but I'm still around and very appreciative.

Hi
I joined this forum to learn more about investing.
I had been to a couple of seminars, read more than half a dozen books, bought, sold, built and sold PPOR 7 times, and bought 1 IP
The things I didn't realise were;
How much I could learn
How many different ways there are to invest in property alone
How much the/our circumstances change
How many very experienced investors there are to learn from
How many of those are always contributing/helping
How amazing it is that the books are written and the info is in black and white, but the forum input is up to date with what is happening NOW, because the circumstances may have changed. (Yes I know the basics and fundamentals remain the same)

The input from some the financial experts is eye opening for someone like me who has only seen things from one side of the many sided scene.
Thanks to all who contribute
BTW we are getting ADSL :D so I will get more regular access without having to upset sons Game time :eek:
jahn

I found this forum after learning about a Jan Somers book at a Peter Spann seminar. Since then, the forum has been a fount of knowledge that I just soak up. But more importantly, the community is amazing. I was always a skeptic about whether the Internet could really create real communities where most of the people never see each other face to face. Well, I'm a believer. But this place only works for a few reasons (possibly more)

• Excellent moderation: Kudos to ALL the moderators for their firm, but gentle finger on the LOCK/DELETE button.
  • A sense that we're all learning, even the people with thousands of posts.
  • A sense of humour
  • A focus on the the core essentials: helping people be better property investors and not better debaters, or share traders, or lawyers.
It's an addictive site, but then again, I have a massively cute little girl to raise, and she's pretty addictive too. I'll get to 1000 posts sometime, eventually, I know.

It has raised my confidence and expanded my horizons. If you want to be a property investor, I can't seen why you would not want to be here.

BTW, can the moderators ask Jan Somers to do a guest post on this thread? I've read she's heavily involved in JumpRope Australia, and isn't as heavily involved in PI these days. But I'd like to know why she started the forums/web site, did she see it going on this long/this well and if she has any observations about property now? Now would be a good time. :):):):)

Cheers,

Jireh

Hi Topcropper

Great sharing there from your experience! Your share strategy is excellent. Timing and focus onto the sector in the upswing! Are you allowed to share your approach to timing your entry into property or shares? Surely, that is very permissible? I would be interested if you could share your timing technique. :D

"Why are you a member of this forum?"

It's the best property forum in Australia and you can get an answer on almost anything property related here. I'm a novice at the game and need all the help I can get. I also work in the general area, so for me it helps with both work and play.

Back