17% of people don't have $500 saved

I don't think it's to do with "we have, and they don't; so nya-nya-ne-nya-nya!" at all.

The bloke should have realised that ATM's can't dispense $6, and either copped it sweet, or go to the Teller and ask politely for the money.

But; he didn't think of that, and then proceeded to ruin the poor Teller's day with a sooky lala attitude and behavior.

Finally; no-one else created the situation where he only had $36 in his account with which to buy fuel; he did.

Just sounds like another "victim", to me.

Sigh. I misinterpreted the post. I read it as the teller wouldn't let him withdraw $30 of the $36 in person opposed to the ATM not letting him, hence I assumed there was more to the story. We all know you can't withdraw $10 notes from the ATM so yes the man was acting like an absolute prat.

(could never happen with a big business, because big business by its nature, is more hamstrung by the requirement to implement the correct laws).
My wife works for a big company. She works part time, two days per week, and was recently asked to work an extra day per week. When her pay arrived she had not been paid for the extra days (nor for working Australia day) she was told that the company never pay extra- that they give time off in lieu instead.

That beats time off in loo I guess.

Sorry dude but in this country 99% of the time there is no excuse to live like that. Infact I take it as an insult to live like that in this country that offers to much opportunity.

The people who I have employed over the years who did the whole week to week thing were generally complete and utter grubs with no respect for themselves or anybody. Some who I employed could see what they were doing was wrong and changed their ways for the better of themselves and their family but others just didn't care. There are poor *******s in 3rd world countries that would give anything to come here and have a go at making something of themselves and then you have these losers making a mockery of whats on offer. Pathetic.

Not saying you have to squirrel away every penny, but don't be a bum abusing the privilege you have of living in this country.

I'm wasn't expecting anyone to feel sorry for them.

Your post includes the words and terms "utter grubs", "no respect for themselves or anybody", "losers", "pathetic", "bum", and "abusing the privilege".

Superior or judgmental much?

This is exactly what I was referring to...

In eight years of employing up to 35 people per week, I have only ever been asked for pay in advance two or three times. Granted, perhaps half of them lived at home- but whatever you can say about Gen Y, the ones who worked for me seemed to have their finances in control.

Most of the people I know who live week to week (or have done so for periods of time) has been a result of having large mortgages and are put under financial pressure when one of two income earners loses their job or other circumstances means they drop down to one income (medical/health reasons, baby, etc).

Thats different, circumstances change and you can be put under pressure from time to time during your life. If they have a a mortgage in the first place they are not the type of people im reffering to. It's the types who blow their pay on a Friday night and the cry until next pay day they are broke.

Superior or judgmental much?

Totally agree with you Fifth. Its very easy to sit here and judge other people, however until you have walked a mile in their shoes you have no idea.

Everyones situation is different. Just be happy with your own bank balance.

Totally agree with you Fifth. Its very easy to sit here and judge other people, however until you have walked a mile in their shoes you have no idea.

When you employ them it is different, their problems become yours in a way when they are asking for a pay advance every second week and you know they have a gambling / drinking / consumer debt problem it becomes your problem too because you have to "manage" this also. There are a lot of employers out there who go through this same problem. When you know some of the back story as to why they keep doing what they do it's kind of pathetic.

I didn't come from a background of money, parents are not spectacular with their finances but I will be damned if im going to burden other people with my problems.

Spludgey, since when does anyone in Australia, especially on low wages, pay almost 50% of their income in tax? That's a myth.

If you were to pay 50% in income tax, avoiding that tax would effectively give you a 100% raise.

Avoiding paying 32.5% (the most common tax bracket) would give you an effective raise of 48.1%, which is very close of 50% when you include medicare.

When a tenant has rental arrears...we, as landlords, experience this first hand.

If the tenant had access to $500, they would rarely be late in rent.
If they access this $500 on a credit card, they could ask for an advance.

I don't need to walk a mile in their shoes.
I don't really care about their circumstances. They choose not to build up an emergency fund.

..and we are always the bad guy.

Yeah, but if we all sat here and only said stuff like what you just said; it'd be so boring we'd all leave and go find a chess game somewhere to play.

Come on you blokes! say something controversial and not PC. :D

Yeah, but if we all sat here and only said stuff like what you just said; it'd be so boring we'd all leave and go find a chess game somewhere to play.

Come on you blokes! say something controversial and not PC. :D

you're right, you're right...what was I thinking!

All people with less than $500 are scum and should be publicly flogged!

Bring on the floggings!

you're right, you're right...what was I thinking!

All people with less than $500 are scum and should be publicly flogged!

Bring on the floggings!

indiana-jones-whip-goes-up-for-auction-1354214121-6962.jpg

Flog em! lol

Kathryn - no one is saying feel sorry, people are just saying not to be so judgemental as we do not know the backgrounds to each situation. Of course there are plenty of people out there who waste every opportunity in front of them and deserve to be in a bad financial situation. However there are also people who may be a victim of circumstance.

I find it interesting (but perhaps not surprising) that bayview is the one with the strongest opinion here when he himself has said that right now he has an empty IP that needs a couple of grand spent on it but he doesnt have the money to fix it up to rent.

I wonder what his impression would be of himself if the topic was discussed? We know from his posts that this situation is due to the business having some tough times and not that he has been blowing it on the pokies etc which proves my point. A bit of empathy and not jumping to conclusions can go a long way imo.

Maybe I'm wrong...but I got the impression we should feel sorry for them?
I actually do, in half of my brain...

But the other half of me thinks; smack 'em in the head and say "wake up, will ya!"

Of course; everyone is free to make their own decisions, but if you are perennially broke, wouldn't you think that a person might ask for some advice and help on how not to be that way?

Just once?

But then; you have to take action to change the scenario you've built around you; which is often hard work.

Certainly not saying we should be sorry for anyone with under $500. But they arent necessarily gambling/drinking scum either.

I'm guessing that the vast majority of those people you would never know they had less than $500.... they could be your average people next door who pay their mortgage/rent on time.

Kathryn - no one is saying feel sorry, people are just saying not to be so judgemental as we do not know the backgrounds to each situation. Of course there are plenty of people out there who waste every opportunity in front of them and deserve to be in a bad financial situation. However there are also people who may be a victim of circumstance.
Quite right.

I remember living with a previous partner many years ago; we'd bought a house together, earning good crust. She had a Gubbmint job - guaranteed for life basically.

My job disappeared when the Golf Club I worked at went broke and my contract disappeared - whole business gone and me left holding a load of stock - some not paid for either....Club told no-one of impending doom until too late to jump ship.

Fast forward a few months and we were almost broke - literally not going to be able to buy any groceries AT ALL until she got paid next week.

You won't believe it, but we received at this time a credit voucher for $25 in the mail from Safeway from a promotion she had been involved in some time earlier.

Absolute fluke of timing, but you cannot imagine how rapt we were to see that $25 - like winning Tattslotto.

Victims of circumstance? Maybe.

I put it down to us being too leveraged and not allowing for a life change that would seriously impact the cashflow; ignorance at the time.

I find it interesting (but perhaps not surprising) that bayview is the one with the strongest opinion here when he himself has said that right now he has an empty IP that needs a couple of grand spent on it but he doesnt have the money to fix it up to rent.
Yes; surprising.

I can tell you the circumstances; it's a compounding of events that I don't mind discussing.

But it's not "a couple of grand" - it's $16k. I'm seriously thinking a doing a cash advance on the credit card to pay for the repairs. Fortunately the rent would be around $320 p/w, and it cost us $105k to buy, so the return is decent enough to knock the CC debt down quickly.

I wonder what his impression would be of himself if the topic was discussed?
Feel free.

I have been criticised plenty on this forum; I can dish it out and take it too, otherwise I'd have folded the tent a few years ago and gone home.

We know from his posts that this situation is due to the business having some tough times and not that he has been blowing it on the pokies etc which proves my point. A bit of empathy and not jumping to conclusions can go a long way imo.
Most folk do it readily....at first.

But, as you get older and life throws situations at you; you begin to read between the lines and see what goes on without a lot of damning evidence needed to prove the theory.

Yes; we generalise, but...

A bit like a cop who has been on the beat for 1 month, versus a cop who has been on the beat for 30 years. The old bloke just knows...not saying I do; but I've been on the planet and around a hell of a lot and kicked in the teeth a lot compared to a few of the bleeding heart brigade; hence my views.

You may think them strong - or wrong - I just say what I reckon; based on the above.

Last edited:
I think many of us have been living close to the edge in our earlier years.
The only difference, we learned we didn't like that feeling...and we did something about it.

This just seems to be a way of life for them.
In Australia $500 isn't even very much.
It would be the equivalent to $250 in Canada.

It doesn't mean I feel superior to them.
Judgemental...yes I am. If I have an opinion, I am basing it on my own experiences.

Like bayview, we also need to utilise our credit card to pay for larger repairs/maintenance on our properties.For us, last July..it was $40k
We took advantage of all the 0%-2.99 % offers. Still plodding thru paying them off...no thanks to our deadbeat tenants.

It wouldn't make sense to have the money sitting in the bank, when I could pay off bills...which are charging me interest.

Back