Advice please, baby going through super clingy phase

OMG my baby girl has become so so clingy over the last week she cries if I walk away from her even when she can still see me. She also won't let her daddy put her to bed anymore. She cried for 40 minutes tonight. I had to stop cooking dinner and stay with her until she fell asleep.

She is 7 1/2 months old now and I read that babies around this age begin to realize that they are a separate person from mummy and get separation anxiety. I feel so sorry for her as I can imagine this would be an extremely scary experience for her.

How long does this phase last and what can I do to help reassure her that everything thing is going to be ok?

I think it's different for each child. Mine went through a stage at probably a similar age for a few weeks where I was the only one he wanted to deal with, and then a month or two later it was the same toward my wife. He's 2 now and hasn't acted that way for a long time.

Just make sure the partner that is not in favour is there for her when possible and that you try not to get too frustrated about it in front of her.

Hopefully it passes soon and goodluck.

My kids are adults now but it seems babies haven't changed. My son was like your bub is now.

It seems to happen around about the time they begin moving by themselves, he used to wriggle/crawl away and then startle himself because he was now further away from Mum/Dad than previously.

With my son, we found talking to him even when a short distance away seemed to satisfy him that Mum was still there. I could play peek-a-boo with him while Mum had a shower but yes, it was difficult.

I can understand that you would ease her pain if you could, but you can't, she needs to experience all the highs and lows of life to become a happy child and adult.

From my experience this is the first of many moments of anguish while your baby becomes a girl then a woman, good luck :)

Hi Angel

I think it's pretty common.

Our little girl did the same thing around that age.

She's 11 months now and it's not as frequent but still happens.

There's also days when it's just "dad, dad, dad" - so I think it comes and goes.

I understand the frustration though!

Cheers

Jamie

My 3 year old still has days like this sometimes. My biggest advice is to keep the trust and try to make her feel secure and loved. Some cuddles where you give her your full attention (try not to think of the things you have to do- otherwise it drags longer). Don't sneak off while she is distracted, tempting as it is.

Maybe get a stretchy wrap carrier (eg moby), pop her in and carry her all day. They spread the weight across your entire back rather then just the straps like in structured carriers, so you can carry her for longer. They are a life saver at times.

And the basics, try to make sure she is getting enough sleep and food.

It is a developmental phase, it will ease up soon. Good luck

Stay calm - she will grow out of the clingy stage, and you need to help her by allowing her to grizzle and get used to it - and then she'll grow into another frustration ... rinse repeat until she leaves home (and still thenafter).

We're hitting pre-puberty - yay - hormones :eek:

I hear you!

My daughter is almost 2 and she went through a phase similar to yours at that age. She was also a cat-napper and would not sleep during the day so it made getting anything done extremely difficult.

I became best friends with my Ergo (baby carrier). But I remember the phase didn't last long.

I know this sounds very cliche and everybody says it but do try to enjoy it whilst it lasts. I drop my daughter off to daycare and she doesn't even notice when I leave. I don't get kisses or cuddles unless she wants something.
I also get called Dad, even though she knows I'm Mum and once again, only calls me Mum when she wants something. The rest of the time, I'm "Dad" and ignored. Ha ha. Kids!

OMG my baby girl has become so so clingy over the last week she cries if I walk away from her even when she can still see me. She also won't let her daddy put her to bed anymore. She cried for 40 minutes tonight. I had to stop cooking dinner and stay with her until she fell asleep.

She is 7 1/2 months old now and I read that babies around this age begin to realize that they are a separate person from mummy and get separation anxiety. I feel so sorry for her as I can imagine this would be an extremely scary experience for her.

How long does this phase last and what can I do to help reassure her that everything thing is going to be ok?

What everyone else said plus
- walk backwards everywhere so she can see your face and voice - ie you need to move to next room where she can see you so tell her what you are doing and back away. I know it sounds silly but it helps get through this stage.
- reassure, reassure, reassure that if you leave you come back. Some simple role playing where you say you are going and come back a couple of minutes later. Leaving and arriving in full cheery force :)
- try and enforce and encourage the Dad time. I know it's somewhat heart breaking but sometimes you have to have your own time and Dad's need to step up and get through this stage too.

It's usually around a month but it comes and goes again as the years progress

Back