Australias next Prime Minister

Grossreal - as usual uninformed people should not be able to vote.

For a start, miners do pay royalties, contrary to what you think.

For your education/and right to vote under my regime if I ever held power, the mining tax will be in addition to government royalties which are already paid

i was just going to pull GR up on that :confused:

-Five of Australia's first seven leaders-> foreign born.

-(A bit generally speaking) the nation's leaders from predominantly eastern seaboard.

-"Many' of our PM's have come from 'modest origins.' Yes, even on the conservative side. In Michelle Grattan's 'Australian PM's' (goes up to Howard), no fewer than 11 have had legal qualifications.

The 'tough starts' more the 'norm'. Farmhands, grocery store manager, miner, pitboy, union organising, apprentices, canecutter! (Call me Artie--Fadden), half the labor PM's from Irish Catholic backgrounds, around half the PM's educated at State Primary Schools, about 10 to private schools, 5 went to both State and Catholic. Several never even finished secondary school. One third no tertiary qualifications, 4 of them studied at Oxford/Cambridge.

Tough lives indeed for many. Some lost a parent or parents relatively young.

Fascinating stuff.

From Australian Prime Ministers (edited by Michelle Grattan). Nice read btw.

Who is going to be Australias next PM? Considering of course that (quote my 3 y old son) "You never know what's gonna happen".

We could have a by-election before the next scheduled election which could change thngs. Leaving that out, Labours carbon tax will be the death of them (if it's too weak they'll lose support and if it's too strong they'll lose support). It's hard to see Tony Abbot as PM (for very long at least), Malcolm Turnbull? Kevin Rudd - again?

I'd like to see Joe Hockey leading the libs, he handles himself well with the media. How do they have a smooth change?

ps. just been watching q and a which I've just worked out is like question time except that it has answers too.
Just depends on what happens over the next few months the Aussie dollar can well drop back to below 90 cents,and Tony Abbot will be the next PM of Australia..

1 we have no captain at the helm we have 5 hands on the wheel and no one knows where to go
2 we have pirates on the ship and they are taking everything not bolted down
3 we have no border control or anyone looking at helping.
the place is in total dissary with no one wanting to solve our problems
yes we get to vote in 2 years
I don't think you will be waiting that long,that's one item Labor does not understand in the ship of fools.

Momentum is building to dump Gillard contenders Stephen Smith,Bill Shorten
Good luck Gillard you will soon see how it feels to be knifed in the back

SENIOR

This is the key in my opinion.

I'm thinking maybe its better labour gets back in, let them deal with the mess, it will mean another 6years, but hopefully by then we can get a clear run.

This is crazy talk and what has happened in NSW for too long. Look at NSW, it's a bloody awful mess and will take 20 years to clean up.

Labour parties just have stuffed up so much in the last few years financially. Just in the last year: The NSW electricity privatisation for $1, the VIC gaming licenses for $1. I was once a labour voter but the current labour candidates are nothing like Hawke or Keating.

hi all
been a bit of delay
been a bit busy
Deltaberry what royalities do they pay
you can have a chat with the qld gov as they are looking for them.
what do you see as the three most expensive items that will be sold in the international markets within the next 10 years
heres mine
1 land, land you can grow some thing on
2 water (this is a under the radar item its cheap now but it will grow in cost and demand, water you can drink)
3 fuel not coal or oil but a fuel that you can use but you can renew this is the holy grail the market is trying to find,solar,recharge battery,hydrigen and biodeisel wave power
these are the markets chasing the investment dollar
and are we in any of the above
aaron or anyone pull me up as you wish I do take views from lots of places and I don't like yes men
gillard should have gone ages ago and have no idea why the back benchers have her still there
I have to adjust to market movements and have hence I am not here as much
I am doing alot in one of the 3 above and may mention it here when I require to do so
I hope you all well and hope you have an escape plan in place
we are going to be going into a very hectic time and I do not still have a person that can guide the way out
and I will give you a bit of military advice
if you need to get out and you do not have a clear line out you need to make sure you exit is secure without outside assistance ie you don't care what happens you will get out
blocks of units even 50 houses is not going to help if you cant buy food or water
read my posts and see if what I have been saying is going to happen

I have my exit in place
oh and for those labour people reading this if any
you need to chat to who ever above
if they think that they just need to hang on and then rebuild thats just a silly view
labour is going to go the way of the democrates(keep the bastirds honest)
no point trying to rebuild something that does not belong to you
the time to stop the international groups was 12months ago(but aaron if think I said that before they came in)

I am bemused by the way the Greens think a dependent 16 yo schoolie's understanding of life and making a living is equal to an independent adult's. Why else would the Greens want to give 16yo's the vote?

Because many young people are idealistic and still believe that simple solutions will solve the world's problems. And these sort of people tend to vote for the Greens. Thus, by reducing the age of voting, they increase their voting base, much like the ALP did by campaigning heavily for young people to enrol to vote during the 2007 campaign.

gillard should have gone ages ago and have no idea why the back benchers have her still there

...cos the cosy deals the independents have done are with Julia, not the Labor Party.

If Julia goes, so does the Labor Govt. Therefore, she ain't going anywhere.

What intrigues me is what happened to the Craig Thomson investigation, it's all gone very quiet. With him gone, the Labor Govt topples anyway.

72 seats a piece to both major parties is a disaster for the country. I hope it never happens again. The opposition is too strong and the Govt is too weak.

There can never be harmony with two equal strength bosses.

craig has his own problems and these could go for years what you need to ask is what about the other 70
lets look at the numbers
whats the total number
147 I think
74 labour
3 amegoses
70 abbot
am I right
lets work on I am
74 but 30% at best want labour of the 74 so lets say 1/3thats 25
so 50 seats are going to go
so these 50 need one to jump ship
so fine three that are near you and do a pation
let jonny stay to get rid of julia
he will romp home
all three will get voted in
find the three if you want to win
I have no idea of the numbers but aim at get allan jones to push it and you will find those three
I help but cant do everything
looking at the numbers above 50 people will lose their job
3 will want to jump if you have th numbers

lets look at the numbers
whats the total number
147 I think
74 labour
3 amegoses
70 abbot
am I right
lets work on I am

I have no idea what any of that was, but your numbers are all over the shop grossy.

Lower house has 150 seats

72 Labor
72 Liberal / National
1 Green
4 independents
1 WA National

The Green and 3 of the independents side with Labor when it comes to supply and confidence motions, to form Govt with 76 seats.

Bob Katter and Tony Crook side with the coalition for supply and confidence motions, so end up with 74 seats.

Harry Jenkins ( a Labor MP) is pulled from the pot to be Speaker, and his vote doesn't count, leaving most votes of confidence ending up 75 / 74....the slimmest of margins.

If Craig Thomson go the heave ho, a by election would occur in his electorate and the Liberal candidate would romp it in - just like in the NSW state election.

That would put the Parliament looking like this ;

71 Labor
73 Liberal / National
1 Green
4 independents
1 WA National

If the independents and Green and WA National went the same way as now, it would be tied up at 75 seats a piece. I gather the sniff of death would come thru the halls however and alignments would inevitably change.

For Labor to retain control, they would need to pull Harry Jenkins off the Speakers chair and be forced to hand over the Speakership to Liberals.

That would then allow Labor to keep 75 votes, and the Liberals would sacrifice 1 vote to control the chamber via the chair.

It wouldn't work however....the Parliament would be dissolved and an election would need to be called.

Looking at the primary numbers, Labor would be obliterated at the polls, similar to what happened in NSW....it would be a sea of blue in the ABC's chamber graphic.

Anyway, until the NSW police pull their finger out and force the issue, none of that is going to happen. The independents want to retain this evenly matched Parliament as long as they can.....it'll be their only time in the sun when they have any real say. No politician will ever give that up.

I'll put my hand up for PM. It's a tough gig, but I'll think I'll manage. :)

Here are my policies:

1. Environment: Tax breaks for companies/individuals who show environmentally considerable behaviour. I'd allow public transport to be tax deductible for all workers (Mum's idea, but I'm stealing it).
2. Refugees: On shore processing, with an emphasis on transparent data driven practice to significantly reduce processing times. Creates jobs, less issues.
3. Health Care: Pump money responsibly via government organised health care to achieve two things: Free dental and clearing elective surgery backlogs.
4. Jobs/Environment: Support ongoing logging in Tassie, BUT on the condition that companies do much much more than the 1% regeneration of forests; tax companies accordingly.
5. Education: Scrap any notion of 'performance pay' unless socio-economic factors and 'at-school' student populations are considered.
6. Indigenous: Stop treating ATSI people as a special population: The reason we are where we are is because we continue to be counter-racist by segregating these people and 'offering extra financial assistance': Handouts=bad outcomes and reduced responsibility to get off your **** and do something with your life. Of course there are special circumstances.
7. Bush: Promote country initiatives to spread labour force into the bush: Offer tax/rental incentives for companies to move operations into rural areas.
8. Defence: Pull all non-essential troops from around the globe. Afghanistan is not our 'neighbour'. Too many are returning with emotional and mental issues.
9. Finance: Be responsible considering the GFC; embrace the notion of 'balance' in an economy.
10. Finance 2: Reduce income tax and increase GST to compensate. This means that if you want to buy more, that's not quite good for the environment (but you get compesation by the reduced income tax), but if you want to work more, that's fine too and you don't get penalised.
11. Controversial ones: The Australian population should go to poll and vote on gay marriage with a clear majority required; let's say 65% in favour. Any other controversial topic is treated the same way. Let's call it 'real democracy'.

How does this sound? :D

Given what the polls are telling us what the majority of Australians think about those issues, I'd reckon with those policies you'd be PM for less than a week before being booted out on your ear.

I think politics has become very much like 'Home and Away'; a lot of drama for not much action, and arguing for the sake of arguing. The points I made above are, to me, and I would have to assume the majority of clear headed Australians, common sense, practical and politically-driven, policies.

Agree with Penny.

Because they are called the "Greens", those to lazy to find out think that they are pro-enviroment when, in fact, they are rather anti-everything progressive and pro-equal money for all (whether you work for it or not).

Perhaps they should be called the "Reds" because they are the closest we have to communism.

Incorrect.

Tony Abbott is the closest we have to communism in some respects.

For example, the approach taken towards natural resources: the former USSR constiution talks about the exploitation of natural resources for the benefit of the state. Similar rhetoric to what Abbott uses - the natural resources are there to benefit either the state or big business. There is little talk of conservation, only exploitation.

It is the same story in China.

In fact, I can't see any policy of the Greens that in anyway more closely mimimics the approach taken by a communist staten then the approach taken by Abbott towards natural resources and the environment.

Therefore I feel that you are just parroting what the conservative gutter press have told you to believe.

Me? All politicians lie. I detest Abbott but would not mind ol' Malcolm becoming PM. Best of the current bunch. If Hockey can stop being an Abbott sycophant he may be in with a chance as well.

I can't see any policy of the Greens that in anyway more closely mimimics the approach taken by a communist staten then the approach taken by Abbott towards natural resources and the environment.

Therefore I feel that you are just parroting what the conservative gutter press have told you to believe.

Incorrect. You can't see cos you clearly don't wish to see.

Me? All politicians lie. I detest Abbott but would not mind ol' Malcolm becoming PM.

You've fallen for the same trap that most modern Australians and media have fallen into - the Presidential style - leader takes all approach.

Once you understand a bit more about how the system works....and I find that unlikely with your blanket 'all politicians lie' mantra. It's very cool to say but grossly inaccurate, there are many many upstanding candidates from both sides of Parliament.....you'll find out that the general party position overrules what the leader says / thinks.

This was amply demonstrated when your favourite "ol' Malcolm" got the heave ho. The branch members were not happy at all with Malcolm agreeing with labor's position on climate change and the carbon tax. They accurately sensed the groundswell of the majority of the Australian population who consider the Carbon Tax a farce and the underlying premise of the Climate Change debate wholly unsubstantiated....to the satisfaction of the common people who will bear the brunt of the Tax.

As it turned out, the change to Tony and the policies he wanted put forth at the Fed election in August 2010 saw the biggest loss of seats for Labor for any first term Fed Govt in history. It was simply the fact that Labor had such a commanding lead from the 2007 election that they managed to hang on for a draw at 72 seats each. To claw back something like 16 seats was a huge swing away from Labor as compared with the 2007 result.

Subsequently of course, with the Green influence now amply demonstrated, and what silent little economic freeloaders they have proven to be, the Australian population has now seen what Labor and the Greens philosophies on management are, and clearly don't want a bar of it.

Bring on an election.

Back