Can you walk into a pub on your own ?

Pretty basic these days though , l'm over it, missing the barber.Going to find one here though .

random, I don't know where you live, but if it's in/near St Kilda, there's a barber on Barkly Street, just off the corner of Barkly and Acland, on the Coles side of the road. There are usually a few people working there, but the guy you want is David. He's the best!

This is a proper barber shop by the way, not some hipster jerk off establishment where 'men' (cough) give you some poncy hair style and put gel or some other girl crap in your hair like a girl.

Hawleywoods, Sterling Barbershop, BestMadeCo, Filson, Smith Journal, etc. etc. Even look at the humble Drizabone website, now very fashionable.

I'll admit, I dig on it all. Brass, Plaid, Flannel, Denim, Leather, they're the uniform of choice for the "Lumbersexual" (NB: Not a dendrophiliac).

Why is it completely not surprising to me at all that you're a hipster.

random, I don't know where you live, but if it's in/near St Kilda, there's a barber on Barkly Street, just off the corner of Barkly and Acland, on the Coles side of the road. There are usually a few people working there, but the guy you want is David. He's the best!

This is a proper barber shop by the way, not some hipster jerk off establishment where 'men' (cough) give you some poncy hair style and put gel or some other girl crap in your hair like a girl.

Hahahahahahaha.

"Put some other girl crap in your hair like a girl."

Mr. Fab, I think your 8yr old nephew was posting on your account!

Why is it completely not surprising to me at all that you're a hipster.

Haha sadly not cool enough to be a hipster. No Inner West PPOR (yet :p), don't drink coffee, don't have a motorbike, generally wear king gees whenever I'm not in work kit.

Just appreciate comfortable clothing, durable and like to try dress well. That "heritage" aesthetic seems to bind all 3 elements together, at least until the new phase comes in.

Plus I happen to be of an age where I'm exposed to more varied and differing subcultures, hence my awareness of them. I'm guessing you're not.

People can say what they want about hipsters, generally the most culturally interesting parts of the city are created and populated largely by them.
New restaurants, cafes, artist run initiatives, independent cinemas, record and book stores, community gardens etc. This stuff doesn't exist in suburbia, normally. But in the hipster heavy areas they flourish.

So if Hipsters are the compost that makes good stuff grow, then let them ride in on their fixies by the droves.

WRT barbers, there's been a definite resurgence. It's part of the whole "Heritage/vintage" subculture. A big interest in 1920's-1950's "rural/rough urban" Americana.

Look up:

Hawleywoods, Sterling Barbershop, BestMadeCo, Filson, Smith Journal, etc. etc. Even look at the humble Drizabone website, now very fashionable.

The dude who runs Hawleywoods at Newtown is great. It is a brilliant concept which he has got the licence for in Oz. There's nothing like getting a shave with a full lather & a cut throat razor.

The dude who runs Hawleywoods at Newtown is great. It is a brilliant concept which he has got the licence for in Oz. There's nothing like getting a shave with a full lather & a cut throat razor.

I liked hawleywoods but prefer sterling. The guy that runs Sterling has been a barber about 30 years and runs a really tight shop. He's got a more varied aesthetic than the hawleywoods crowd i found.

OP obviously has a self confidence issue.

Exactly what is the reason that stops you from going in alone?
Identify it, put it aside and stride in to get what you want, that nice cold frothy beer, have a quick chat to the barperson (see I can be PC) then the person near you, or even the girl over yonder. Soon you'll be a regular.

Or is that what is stopping you?

I don't think it's a self confidence issue. I'm like random, travelling around the world, I have no problem walking into a pub or club alone. At home, I can't do it. In my head, I just think I'll look like a loner or loser.

I don't think it's a self confidence issue. I'm like random, travelling around the world, I have no problem walking into a pub or club alone. At home, I can't do it. In my head, I just think I'll look like a loner or loser.

Is that not a self confidence issue right there?

Just askin'

Isn't the fella sitting alone in the pub the local dealer? He used to be the SP bookie till technology ruined that career.

l'm a very social person on the right day when l get fired up and l've done some serious partying over the years.
But l've never been able to walk into a pub on my own if l don't know anyone inside . It's just something that doesn't come easy to me .
Friends and stuff , no problemo l'll probably be the last one standing but on my own, knowing no one !

Can you do that type of thing ?

Lots of opportunity here to discover something unique about yourself

If you over came the fear of drinking by yourself in a pub what else could you achieve? Imagine never feeling feeling fear again but instead just seeing it and not letting it bother you

Becoming aware of how you feel about certain situations and not letting it bother you is perhaps the greatest tool to develop

There is a story of some monks that live up a mountain in the middle of nowhere they are the marathon monks of Mt Henei

Every morning they all rise at midnight and run barefoot in the dark and snow 46kms. They do this for 100 days straight However they all carry a piece of rope and knife with them , this rope they carry is to remind them of their dedication and for them to take their lives if they ever give up,

It is a fascinating insight into how we are as humans and how we let our
Minds control out lives, and if we instead control our minds then we are capable of achieving anything

All that fear is , is fiction that distorts our vision and restricts ourselves in more ways than you can imagine

Learn to let go and see fear as nothing more than a small sensory experience

Next time you feel fear or are in a distressful situation think of the little Japanese men running around in the snow up a mountain and remember that it's all in your head :D

Hi

Have I walked into the pub on my own?...NOPE.

But I did walk into a strip club on my own about 13 or 14 years ago and had the biggest night of my life!:D

Regards,

alicudi

Been there. You know what happened? I went in and had a delicious beer. There's nothing better than a delicious beer. Unless it's a free delicious beer.

random, why does going out somewhere on your own freak you out? I'm genuinely curious, because I've had the 'OMG, I can't believe you go out on your own! I could never do that!' discussion so many times over the years.

I've got no idea Mr F . But l do know it kills me to walk straight past a nice beer opportunity :D

Back