Carb-Nite Solution

gout, anyone?
Here's an interesting observation about gout...

I have suffered attacks of it in the balljoint of my left big toe for a number of years.

Maybe twice per year I get an attack, I take a few Colgout tablets (prescription only) and in 2 days it's gone. I ran out of Colgout several months ago, and found out Voltaren does a similar job.

In all that time, my diet hasn't changed a whole lot; don't eat a lot of super rich foods, drink a bit of white wine but not much red, very few tomatoes, and so on.

So, back in June I had to drive to Kalgoorlie to reno our unit there, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to use the trip (3 weeks away) as a bit of a cleanser - no cr@p food at all, no grog at all, lots of fruit and veges etc.

About 1.5 weeks in, I got a really, really sore left thumb. I thought it was an infection from a cut from the reno work, which had spread to the joint. Used lots of Betadine to cleanse the cut, and the infection went away, but not the sore thumb joint. Maybe I'm getting old and can't handle the extra physical work anymore?

After 2 days, it was really really hurting. Taking Nurefen and Panadol at night to sleep and Panadol during the day, but not a lot of relief.

I then realised the symptoms were exactly like the foot gout, and put it down to the same thing in the thumb.

I had some Voltaren tablets and took those, and the pain subsided after a few days.

So; what the hell? What caused that? My diet improved if anything.

The only thing I could put it down to was this; I took along a bottle of super-concentrated Kryll oil tablets (part of the health cleanse thing). I was taking those each day as well.

Then I thought back; my last real attack was about the same time I was taking Fish oil tablets last year, and I have over the years consumed vast quantities of tinned tuna....coincides with the history of when the attacks occurred.

So, my conclusion is that maybe it is an ingredient in the fish/Kryll oil and/or tuna that is triggering it.

I mentioned this to my BIL who also gets gout, and he did a bit of a recap and came up with a similar possible cause. he also has taken fish oil and consumes a bit of tuna as well.

what do you take to hit fibre macros, hickory root?

Regards,
Nick

Nothing yet. Im relying on Spinach and Broccoli to do the job. They are struggling at the moment though. Im going to try some larger servings and more avocado. Perhaps even some Psyllium Husk.

Lyle McDonalds - Ketogenic Diet 1998.
"Constipation
Arguably one of the more common side-effects seen on a ketogenic diet is that of reduced
bowel movements and constipation. In all likelihood, this stems from two different
causes: a lack of fiber and increased gastrointestinal absorption of foods.
First and foremost, the lack of carbohydrates in a ketogenic diet means that fiber intake
will be low unless supplements are used. There is no doubt that fiber is an important nutrient to
human health. A high fiber intake has been linked to the prevention of a variety of health
problems including some forms of cancer and heart disease.
To make a ketogenic diet as healthy as possible, some type of sugar-free fiber supplement
should be used. In addition to possibly preventing any health problems, this will help to maintain
bowel regularity. Many individuals find that a large salad containing fibrous vegetables may help
with regularity and should fit easily with the 30 gram carbohydrate limit.
One interesting effect of the ketogenic diet is the typically reduced stool volume seen.
Presumably this is due to enhanced absorption/digestion of foods which leads to less waste
products being generated
."

Attachments

• 2.8.13.jpg
    2.8.13.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.8.13 - 2.jpg
    2.8.13 - 2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 95
ok, well in that case you're only really counting net carbs, as you're eating more than 20 to 30 g of carbs in the vegetables?

I'm reverse dieting/IIFYM/carb cycling all at the same time haha, I'm usually dropping 10G of husk or hickory in a black coffee on cardio/rest days, to maintain fiber around the 30g mark.

Regards,

Nick

Yeah Nick spot on. Net carbs.

680g of spinach - 24 g of carbs but 16 g of fiber = 8 g of carbs.

I looked into Psyllium Husk but steered away after warnings of bloating.

Does it affect you?

Im looking forward to my carb nite on sunday. I havent slept for days.

Cheers.

I've haven't cracked the bag yet actually, still trying to get through the container of hickory. I don't know what the best way to eat Psyllium Husk, possibly sprinkle it on celery with peanut butter?

Man, if you haven't tried fasting, give it a crack, unreal man! My eating window is usually about 2am (very small preworkout meal - under 400cal) then one 2600cal/1600cal (dependent on cardio or weights) meal at 4am, then I don't eat again till 2am the next day.

Regards,

I've haven't cracked the bag yet actually, still trying to get through the container of hickory. I don't know what the best way to eat Psyllium Husk, possibly sprinkle it on celery with peanut butter?

Man, if you haven't tried fasting, give it a crack, unreal man! My eating window is usually about 2am (very small preworkout meal - under 400cal) then one 2600cal/1600cal (dependent on cardio or weights) meal at 4am, then I don't eat again till 2am the next day.

Regards,

I fast. I eat for an hour at 7:30pm. Weights beforehand.

Have you tried without the pre-workout meal?

Awesome, fasters seem to be few and far between. I'm training myself to train fasted. Still need a little more work, I do all cardio intervals fasted.

Interested in the results, although could never follow such a diet myself.

Are you all following the same training program and same proportion of calorie deficit?

Hi guys. I had my first Carb-Nite yesterday. Wow.

Post-workout shake consisting of 400ml coconut milk with Glutamine, BCAA's, Creatine, 60g Dextrose + Natural Flavour Hydrosolate Whey Protein.

1 x 340g Scotch fillet
1 x 300ml can of Coconut water*
1 x cup of raw rice, cooked with 60g dextrose & cocoa nibs + 400ml coconut milk to serve
1 x 400g Cole's potato and leek mash

Food coma!

I felt a nice carb high but today I was completely drained of energy.

Week 1 down.

*I slipped up. I didnt realise the Coconut water had added sugar.

Ace: Our training programs are similiar, but, but not exact. My program is a little more high volume than the others. All are Wendler based though. And, no we are not on the same diet. #2 & #3 eat 3 meals daily.

Attachments

• 20130804_163850.jpg
    20130804_163850.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20130804_174035.jpg
    20130804_174035.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
So let me get this straight. You haven't slept in days, you're constipated, you eat a stick of butter and then you fast for the rest of the day. All to what, lose 2 kgs or something? What the heck?? That makes no sense man. Eat steamed fish and veg. Go for a run.

*ETA: Just checked your picture again. What on earth are you trying to do to yourself? You'll end up looking like Christian Bale in the Machinist!

So let me get this straight. You haven't slept in days, you're constipated, you eat a stick of butter and then you fast for the rest of the day. All to what, lose 2 kgs or something? What the heck?? That makes no sense man. Eat steamed fish and veg. Go for a run.

*ETA: Just checked your picture again. What on earth are you trying to do to yourself? You'll end up looking like Christian Bale in the Machinist!

Ha ha. Great stuff Luce. Was thinking similar.

See ya's.

Would have thought number 1 and 2 would be looking to put on lean mass. number 3 is the only one that looks like he has fat to lose

Max, can you give us a quick run down on your weekly routine?

What other tools do you use for fasting (eg black coffee or chewing gum?)

Regards,

Hi guys. I had my first Carb-Nite yesterday. Wow.

Post-workout shake consisting of 400ml coconut milk with Glutamine, BCAA's, Creatine, 60g Dextrose + Natural Flavour Hydrosolate Whey Protein.

1 x 340g Scotch fillet
1 x 300ml can of Coconut water*
1 x cup of raw rice, cooked with 60g dextrose & cocoa nibs + 400ml coconut milk to serve
1 x 400g Cole's potato and leek mash

Food coma!

I felt a nice carb high but today I was completely drained of energy.

Week 1 down.

*I slipped up. I didnt realise the Coconut water had added sugar.

Ace: Our training programs are similiar, but, but not exact. My program is a little more high volume than the others. All are Wendler based though. And, no we are not on the same diet. #2 & #3 eat 3 meals daily.

Meal frequency is not really relevant.
What I was asking is that are all 3 of you consuming the same calorie deficit?
This will be the biggest determining factor of results.

What is your daily intake?

Back