Career vs Travel? Need advice..

Hi Frank

I have sat back and waited until I thought you had come to a decision as I didn't want to influence you in any way.

I have been travelling back and forth between England and Australia for a very long time, since I was 17 and I am now 64. My family all live in the UK and I married an Aussie, hence the backward and forward. I worked here and travelled over for holidays.

Everyone is saying you will regret not going as you will not get the chance when you are older. That actually is not true, I am off in 3 weeks to work for the UN in Geneva on a 3 to 6 month contract. If you are good at your job and you have the Network, jobs get offered to you. This is what has happened to me, someone that worked at the same place as me in IT Finance came across a problem in Geneva that needs fixed and they immediately thought of me, they had seen me fix the same problem here in Melbourne and I immediately got a phone call, " Hey want to come to Geneva for a little while?"

I did say on the forum I was wanting to go back to work this year and here I go, so the Law of Attraction must work!!!

Good luck in whatever you decide, just be happy in your life, you only get one try and you never know when that time is up!!!

Maybe we can have a drink in London :D

Regards
Chris

To be fair, I did come across a lot of old retired backpackers when I was backpacking and they got along great with the young ones....

Personally, I wouldn't want to go backpacking when I'm old. It's not the same if you go to a place like Corfu's infamous Pink Palace Hostel when you are 50 y.o.
I also preferred going it alone. Eventhough my fiance was desperate to come with me, it was my dream so he understood in the end. Mind you, it's a lot more fun than you think backpacking alone and truth is that you are never alone. I always found myself in a group amongst 5+ other individuals from all over and can never get away from Aussies, they are literally everywhere. Many Hostels in Europe will actually put you in an aussie dorm.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go backpacking when I'm old. It's not the same if you go to a place like Corfu's infamous Pink Palace Hostel when you are 50 y.o.

How do you know;) I backpacked when I was younger and did the dorm thing. Now my boyfriend and I backpack and do the private room at the hostel thing. In every hostel we've been to, there have been many more oldies than youngies and the atmosphere is wonderful! Some of the retired couples drank and partied us younger ones under the table...

Frank - I'm sure your company will have you back. It is always surprising how your fears and worries may not be anything to fear or worry about once you have a chat to your bosses. Heck - they may even have some contacts for you!

cheers and happy trails to you!

Personally, I wouldn't want to go backpacking when I'm old.
That depends on your own attitude to some extent.

20 years ago, while backpacking, I met a couple who had just retired at 65. It was their first time out of Australia. And they were backpacking with a kip which made me ashamed of how much I had. They were having a great time.

It's possible, though unusual. With family now, backpacking is not an option, especially with a wife who thinks "roughing it" is downgrading to a four star hotel :D . I suspect that when the kids have flown the nest, there will be family things making us more comfortable staying than long term travelling.

Official offer just came through then...

$76500 package + phone etc.. Official title Group IT Manager

I'm back to sitting on the fence.. Thats alot of money! :(

Did you know that I have had people at my workplace

1. accept the package as above

2. then leave, so that they have the "I was Group IT Manager at my previous position....." line, AND get their leave etc paid out at the higher rate :eek:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Did you know that I have had people at my workplace

1. accept the package as above

2. then leave, so that they have the "I was Group IT Manager at my previous position....." line, AND get their leave etc paid out at the higher rate :eek:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Haha.. That's just unreasonable, I'm a firm believer in Karma and stuff like that catches up with you one way or another :)

Haha.. That's just unreasonable, I'm a firm believer in Karma and stuff like that catches up with you one way or another :)
Another thought.

Depending on your savings, you may need time to save and plan anyway. Why not accept the offer, on condition that you tell your bosses you wish to leave (or take 12months unpaid leave) in 12 months. If they accept, karma is kept, and you have the time to ensure a better trip.

I have a good friend in England who at least used to be involved in recruitment. I liked dealing with himbecause he always dealt straight with me. I could contact him if you wish to know what the market is like over there.

Go to your managers and say you are investigating working overseas. Ask what to do to make yourself desireable to employ. They may then initiate discussions about a position down the track..... tho' perhaps with overseas experience and connections you find you create other opportunities.

Depending on your savings, you may need time to save and plan anyway. Why not accept the offer, on condition that you tell your bosses you wish to leave (or take 12months unpaid leave) in 12 months.
I like wish-gas' thinking (I think she was thinking this).

Was going to suggest a combination of wish-ga and geoff w's suggestion. I.e, go to management and tell them of your desire to work overseas and ask could they possibly line something up for you.

This may take a while but in the meantime you are gaining experience and earning the good dollars, AND.......if they look like securing you an O.S job, surely your girlfriend won't mind putting off the travel for a tad longer.

As I said, I think Wish-ga and Geoff W were thinking along the same lines. Apologies to both if I've twisted their suggestion/s.

Anyway, hope you make the right decision for yourself, try not to agonise over it.

Regards
Marty

The company is big, but not a multi-national. We have offices all over Australia and New Zealand (I have no desire to work in NZ). But no plans to expand further abroad. I have sent the offer letter to my girlfriend, I'll see what her reaction is and we can plan from there..

why don't you just follow your heart Frank? I'm sure deep down you already know the answer.

If the reason is to experience the cultural thing living oversaes, well there actually isn't that much of a difference. You are probably only downgrading your standard of living...we have it so good here in Oz. It's not like going to Shanghai, Tokyo, Germany etc where yo are really out of your comfort zone because their native language isn't English.

But you can't have any regrets though.

I mean, it was the best time of my life but then I had only worked for a year after Uni and wasn't going anywhere with my career. I also met my hubby in UK so it was the best decision I ever made.

You know a lot of people go over for working holiday to earn more money and save and be able to afford to travel. That was one of the main reasons for me. This reason doens't apply to you because you already have a good job here and savings for travelling.

I think you and your gf should go out and celebrate your promotion.

Well done !!

Was going to suggest a combination of wish-ga and geoff w's suggestion. I.e, go to management and tell them of your desire to work overseas and ask could they possibly line something up for you.

The company is big, but not a multi-national.
Ok, I'll shut up then. :) .

Considering some sort sort of transfer is out of the question, I'd bite the bullet and do the travel thing.

Hopefully management will understand and hold your job but if not, so be it.

As others have suggested, I think you will regret it if you DON'T go.

Regards
Marty

That's only £30,000 sterling, you realise. 'Ordinary' pay is around £20 - £25k per year, so £30 is not actually a lot in London, and Ireland has lower living expenses.

Try finding out (anonymous queries to agents) how much you would get in London if you actually took a career type job.

I just know that my salary is now a heck of a lot more than I would ever have thought back when I left Sydney. I left Sydney with a salary of $45k, and at contracting earned something like £40k a year. With lower tax rates, I tripled my after tax pay. I think you underestimate just what sort of money is out there. I understand one in the hand v two in the bush, but........
Alex

I would accept the position and stay one year, then go travelling.

That year puts the official title "Group IT Manager" on your CV and gives you a huge chance of having good positions for the rest of your career.

The year also gives you an opportunity for you and your lady to make enquiries OS and to plan your travels.

Part of the fun of travelling is the reading, planning and choosing where to go.

If your lady won't wait a year and help you ensure a good future for both of you, then she is very inconsiderate IMO.

Each to his own here, but I don't believe you need big spanking titles to get good jobs down the line. When I left the accounting firm I hadn't even been promoted to senior (normal for new-qualifieds). Friends told me to stay until I qualified before leaving, and I didn't listen. It's been 9 years since I graduated from uni, and I've NEVER been promoted. However, my salary, experience and responsibilities have been increasing, so what do I care.

Does anyone actually believe high-fluting titles these days? I've seen Vice Presidents that manage one or two people.
Alex

Even if your management cannot line anything up for you, could you talk with them about your plans and desires? They may well be able to accommodate you- perhaps with a compromise in terms of how long you can stay (perhaps 3-6 months would be a win win? That would perhaps keep the karma).

The title might not be important. The salary would at least give you something to benchmark.

But research the market in Ireland first (sorry, my friend can only help in England). Know what contractors are worth- it's far easier to do now than when I went almost 20 years ago. You should be able to have something (interviews at minimum) lined up before you go. Make sure there is a market for your particular skills.

Does anyone actually believe high-fluting titles these days? I've seen Vice Presidents that manage one or two people.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Surely prospective employers are clever enough to ask what you actually did at your previous jobs, not look at the job title and go oooooh, look at that title. Otherwise, if you got on with your boss you would just get them to relabel your position to whatever you want.

I like the look of the offer they made you, but don't do it for the job title, do it for the cash.

BR

dublin's small......a small town really despite its 1million'ish residents.
its unlikely that any decent money/contracting jobs would be gained there as a foreigner working holiday type, so wouldnt go with that assumption.
i certainly had issues getting financial services work when i was there. its just not that kind of place....theres isnt 10million people crying out for contractors and employees like a London is.

if i was to live in dublin, id do it on the 'have fun and booze it up attitude' as opposed to thinking its a career move and that id be on good money and the like. London is really THE place for monied work imo. the rest of the cities in that part of the world rate as similar to going to newcastle, cairns or alice springs to work.....nice places, but theyre hardly pitt st sydney.

Back