Career vs Travel? Need advice..

I am finding this thread so interesting. My little adrenals can't take it (in a good way).

(Kissfan - you stated things better than my attempt)

So Mr Grimes... the latest?

Sorry guys I haven't forgot about the thread. I'm meeting with my boss this morning to try and organise a 6 month leave without pay deal.

Failing that, I'm going to try get 2 months off to backpack around europe.

Failing both, I will resign.

Susan (My GF) is still very keen to work overseas the future, so even if I do this job for a couple of years, we will still go to the UK to work eventually, we are both 24 so there's still alot of time. While she is annoyed, she understands its a good job with good pay. But backpacking will keep her happy for a while..

We would be going to Ireland, I've looked at the rates and I basically have no chance of getting something as good as I've got here. It's a small market as Richard has said, we are talking a City the Size of Auckland, Adelaide or Perth. So its different to London... Or even Sydney or Melbourne

Anyway, I'll update it again once I meet with my boss this morning....

Wish me luck!!

Boss was very reasonable about it all. There is one particular system that they want implemented ASAP, once this is live and working they are happy for me to go on unpaid leave for a longer period of time (3 months+)

So I just need to train the person to replace me, implement the system and I'm good to go. But this will delay the trip until about July.

He's got to run it by the CEO, but thinks it will be fine..

Thoughts? I still haven't made up my mind..

doens't sound too good. maybe your boss is just stressed by the idea but once everything is ok he will be fine? will you still have a job when you come back?

Purely from my own experience, and remember I'm not in the same industry, but..........it's a big world out there. You're not the first person to quit and inconvenience your boss, and you won't be the last. As long as you keep developing your skills and experience and interview well, you will always have a job. I think 'desire to travel overseas' is a legitimate reason to quit.

Caveat: this is from a guy who makes a habit of flying to a foreign country with a suitcase and just some agent interviews set up. Having done this for a while I no longer understand why people must have a 'fall back job' in hand.

Put it another way: if I was in your position and my boss said 'look, I can't give you unpaid leave because we need you for this project' I would just politely give him my resignation letter. It's about confidence in yourself and the market.

If you get a good job in Ireland / England that develops your skills, will you really worry whether you still have a job with this company when you come back? I recently emailed my old boss and told her I was going back to Oz. She said 'Well, give me your CV and I'll email my counterpart in Sydney'. Don't burn bridges but quitting is normal these days.
Alex

BTW, late in the year is NOT the best time to go to the UK. Do you really want to start your trip with 6 months of cold and darkness? You have not LIVED until you've seen the vampire-friendly London winter (4pm total darkness).
Alex

Do you - Don't you...

My partner and I were apart for over 3 years with work and travel (I was overseas, he was home).

He has never had any desire to travel overseas and I always had...so he chose to stay home...he has no regrets about his decision and I did what I wanted.

Together though we have seen a fair bit of Australia, I would travel again if I had it over...no amount of job offers or promotions would stop me from following my heart and gut desires....but that is only me! my thoughts, my experience...you do what you gotta do Frank and all the best. :)

I'm coming in a little late to this discussion. I am from Melbourne, am 28 and I work in IT. I have lived and worked in HK, Sydney, Adelaide, Tokyo, San Francisco, Belfast and London. I had the option of working in the Netherlands and South Africa but had other things going on in my life and decided to stay in Melbourne. I have also personally traveled to many other countries just for a holiday.

I think the 'trying before you buy' with a holiday is a good idea.

Alexlee is spot on about UK Winter, I believe it can have a serious impact on your mental health. My advice is to avoid. After my 'summer' in Belfast came to an end I went back to Australia.

I worked as a permanent for 4 years in Melbourne at a global software company. It was through this company that all of these travel opportunities were possible. Mind you, many of my peers did not travel at all, I had to make them happen by promoting myself and skill set in the company (hmm... I always managed to have exactly what they needed in the other office).

I then quit that job to start contracting in Melbourne and significantly increased my pay. My last '6 month contract' lasted for two years and I have now taken two months off as holidays and am currently holidaying in Japan.

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/ is a great site to get an idea of rates of pay in the UK. As Alex has said, there are some big dollars up for grabs. I guess you need to figure out why you are going and you can use a holiday to see if it will meet your expectations.

Your action plan below seems like a great idea. I also recommend combining a Contiki tour with some independent travel. Some people bag Contiki however I personally thought it was excellent. Do you like the idea of constantly searching for, evaluating and booking accommodation in places like Paris and Spain? I think it's a great reduced-stress way of seeing a lot in a short time and on a small budget, plus it's not the huge 'sin fest' some people say (mind you, these people are usually those who haven't been on one - the same type of people who don't invest in property because of all that debt and bad tenants). It's great to get a taste of everything to see what you like, then to explore further independently. I personally had big expectations for some countries but found them quite drab, but then really enjoyed others I didn't think I would. A lovely couple from Canberra who had just finished a large backpacking stint around they said they had seen more in the last two weeks than they had in the last six months. There were many couples on my tour and my sister went on one with her husband and had the time of her life also.

Sorry guys I haven't forgot about the thread. I'm meeting with my boss this morning to try and organise a 6 month leave without pay deal.

Failing that, I'm going to try get 2 months off to backpack around europe.

Failing both, I will resign.

I should also add, sometimes at work I get into a rut and also ponder the whole 'dramatic move' such as resigining to work and live overseas again.

I have found that a two week trip to Thailand (or wherever) is all that was required to fix this. Which reminds me, Thailand is a wonderful place to spend a a week to break up your trip and help your body and budget recover.

Thanks again for the advice, I still haven't decided exactly what I'll do but it will probably be an extended trip at the end of the year, 3 months backpacking etc. But just have to make sure work will accept this.

But still have the intention of going to the UK to work, I still have 6 years before the Visa isn't available. This job opportunity is too good and paying too well for someone my age to simply not give it a shot. I have no chance of making this money in Ireland. I also live at home, so my living expenses are virtually nothing..

Still a few things to resolve with work and GF but will keep you updated on the progress.

I should also add, sometimes at work I get into a rut and also ponder the whole 'dramatic move' such as resigining to work and live overseas again.

Yep, I'm going to encourage my GF who feels like shes in more of a rut than me to do this. Her best friend his in London, I've suggested she go visit her for a few weeks. I'm sure she will feel alot better when she comes home..

I also recommend combining a Contiki tour with some independent travel. Some people bag Contiki however I personally thought it was excellent.
I went on a COntiki tour with my wife. Actually, she wasn't my wife when I went on the tour. Well, actually, we met on the Contiki tour.

20+ years ago now- I'm still very happy I went.

doens't sound too good. maybe your boss is just stressed by the idea but once everything is ok he will be fine? will you still have a job when you come back?

You don't think that sounds good? It is more than I would be offered.
Everyone is different of course.

Perspective;
I would not be given any unpaid leave
I would not be asked back (I do admin work so am nothing special)
I would not be offered the sort of money FrankGrimes was

It is possibly a plan that gives him some flexibility,
some travel,
some further industry experience,
some opportunity to advance in the company he works for,
some financial improvement,
some personal satisfaction.....

.....................not bad. Not bad at all.

I admire AlexLee et al. who can walk out of one job and into another due to their skill/experience and marketability. I am a good worker and am skilled but I do not have that same situation doing admin work. I have been looking for a new job for quite some time now. Lots of rejections.

So I must disagree. From this here gutter FrankGrimes may be quite lucky.

What's the harm in keeping the offer in his back pocket. Much nicer to contact old company after 3 mth period and say he wont be returning but thanks for the offer.

I have found that a two week trip to Thailand (or wherever) is all that was required to fix this. Which reminds me, Thailand is a wonderful place to spend a a week to break up your trip and help your body and budget recover.

I agree with you but then we have already done the living overseas and backpacking thing whereas Frank has yet to do it. I think everyone should do it once in their lifetime.

We love Thailand. It's so cheap and the people there are so wonderful. Just been to Asia recently for a mth including Phuket.

So not to feel like we are stuck in a rut, I always plan travel throughout the year. Doesn't have to be an overseas trip. We are off to Adelaide for 4 days in March and Tasmania and Melbourne for 10 days in April...thanks to budget fares.

Once Virgin Blue flies the US and Asian routes there will be even more frequent holidays.

I also second the Contiki Option. It's a fantastic and cheapest way to see Europe. We did one after we got married and were surprised to see many newly weds and couples on the tour. It was perfect for us. The hotels in the TIMEOUT tours are quite good for European standards. We only paid AUD$1300 pp for a 14 day tour and in one of the hotels we stayed at, it's 140 Euros a night!!

Wish-Ga - I had to re-read Frank's post again. I thought he said his boss was "very unreasonable"! Ooopps

Got a meeting again with my boss on Monday 26th to firm something up. (I'm off this week, had an operation on friday!)

So will keep you all posted!

Just then I was researching my salary in the UK (science). It turns out that it is now not as attractive as the Australian salary as we just had a salary increase. It was better before though... why am I complaining about an increased pay :(

Question: Would you go overseas if your pay is less (so far people have mentioned that their pay has increased)?

The other thing is: I've heard that Aussies who go to the UK open companies to pay less tax (20%), does that always work (e.g. in the UK public sector)?

Ta

Lowb - Yes I would. For something like teaching English in Japan or working in a US ski resort, it's an experience that money cannot buy. I did mine through CIEE. They're very professional and it was quick and easy to get the J1 Visa. Only cost $500 at the time for 3 mths work validity in US.

I did various temp jobs in NYC. Got some interesting work including PA for a few weeks to a 90 yr old famous designer (ceramics) Eva Zeisel where I also got to meet her friend George Sorros at her Xmas Party (both are hungarians), a stint at Martha Steward PA to VP Lawyer and got to meet Martha briefly on a few occasions, then a long term assignment at an Investment Bank where I got to meet on fo our famous clients Donald Trump just to name a few. I also got to shake hands with then president Bill Clinton in a sort of a accident (just happened to be at the right place at the right time). Met Uma and Ethan at Hunter Ski Resort and saw some other celebrities at a David Letterman show. I just don't think you can place a value on the experience and memories.

I am a bit disappointed about not teaching English in Japan but I met my hubby and have no regrets.

I think you only open a company if you are in a high income job like IT or Accounting. Normal wage in UK is actually very low compared to the cost of living. Often I ate canned food or bread with cous cous for dinner. Even meat is expensive!! But shopping in UK is fantastic, the fashion there is way better than Oz and fairly cheap during sales.

Back