Career vs Travel? Need advice..

Just then I was researching my salary in the UK (science). It turns out that it is now not as attractive as the Australian salary as we just had a salary increase
In 1988, I went to the UK because the salary sounded enormously attractive.

Well, it was heaps better that Oz.

But the cost of living was WAY higher as well, and what I put into the bank was pretty paltry.

Food (and especially meat) was way more expensive. (Ah yes. So was alcohol).

I wasn't living in London. But I wasn't working there either.

There were all the additional costs of setting up a new household. It took many months to get the house we bought furnished almost to our satsfaction.

In the end, that enormously sounding contracting rate wasn't all that great. But it still was enough to get us started towards some other goals. (

I'm sitting on the opposite side of the world to where I started, for the n-th time great circle trip, I say Travel=Good everything that will happen even the bad is a broadening experience, and adds to the
10 foot tall & bullet proof​
feeling.
Lost a little in rapid liquidation prior to the move, but wow, you can get a mansion(really) here for $200K that I could never afford before

Now that WE can take the pictures, this is new baby

Last edited:
IMHO the life experiences you gain from travel far outweigh the monetary cost.

I was knuckled down working my butt off at two jobs (accounting then actuarial during the day and managing a nightclub during the night) that reached breaking point and I took off for my first Northern winter overseas.

Whilst I never regret the opportunities that working my butt off early has provided me I absolutely relish the fact I did reach that point and take off overseas quite soon after completing my undergrad.

It was only my contempt for my current situation that enabled me to negotiate having Northern winters off as unpaid leave, and then 3 day working weeks on my return. (Working for an Eastern European company had its advantages)

Its important to know your value and communicate that to your employer.

That deal lasted for 2 years until my employer could restructure so that I wasnt a vital part of their operations, and it was 2 fantastic years that I would not of had if I didnt take a chance, put what I wanted on the table and was willing to walk if they didnt come to the party.

In the end they called what they though was my bluff and I headed off for another Northern winter anyhow.

Life is about balance.

For those interested in the final decision.. Work is happy to give me 2 months off at the end of the year to travel around and 2 weeks now to relax :) (I have this in writing)

So I guess a pretty reasonable outcome, get to travel, get to better my career and further my investments. As Benx has suggested, its all about balance and I think thats what I have sorted out.

Thanks to everyone who has offered their wisdom!

I think that's agreat outcome. It's no wonder you feel bad for leaving.

But is this just a short term solution? will you still do the working holiday later down the track? your gf is ok with that?

sorry...ignore me if you want I'm just nosey!

I think that's agreat outcome. It's no wonder you feel bad for leaving.

But is this just a short term solution? will you still do the working holiday later down the track? your gf is ok with that?

sorry...ignore me if you want I'm just nosey!

Always happy to answer your questions!

It's a short term solution I guess. We are both 24 and have 6 years to get a holiday visa in the UK. We would still like to do a working holiday eventually but its very early days.. Job might not work out, might change our minds once getting there, other opportunities may arise? But at least we have decided on a direction for the next year or so..

Nothing set in stone and will just see how things go..

Always happy to answer your questions!

It's a short term solution I guess. We are both 24 and have 6 years to get a holiday visa in the UK. We would still like to do a working holiday eventually but its very early days.. Job might not work out, might change our minds once getting there, other opportunities may arise? But at least we have decided on a direction for the next year or so..

Nothing set in stone and will just see how things go..

If you want to stay in the UK there are always other routes. Such as the Highly Skilled Migrants Visa.
Alex

Back