Cashless Welfare Card

I heard about this some 6 months ago. I think it wont work, its not addressing the real issue here.

Cutting off the cash wont stop an addict, it will probably increase crime if anything.

This has already been in place in some areas for a number of years now if I remember correctly. No increase in crime - it also doesn't allow recipients to spend their money on non essential foods (soft drink, lollies etc), unless that's changed.

To get put on the card you have to be referred by a social worker, or you can volunteer yourself. There was an article a while ago saying they were having a significant uptake of voluntary subscriptions because it gave the users peace of mind.

I think its great

It forces people to use their welfare on its intentions

However like always the people on it were all cocmplaining it was a breach of their freedom

Me thinks the only ones who are complaining are the ones who buy cigarette, alcohol and drugs with it like always

Once again. The entitlement attitude

So you believe cut off the money and suddenly you are no longer an addict??
What do desperate people do??

How does that work?

So you believe cut off the money and suddenly you are no longer an addict??
What do desperate people do??

How does that work?

They'll still be addicted but they have to rely on other means of funding it. They're more likely to feed their kids as they can only buy food with the card. It acts as a wake up call to some to get their **** together, others will crash and burn faster as they don't have welfare to fund their habit. Either way they're more likely to get so desperate that something has to change one way or another. I don't care what adults do, it's their choice but when they have kids I don't think the tax payer should be propping them up (in extreme cases) so that they can chronically abuse their kids.

There's always a way to rort the system - whether it be to ring up veges and pick up smokes or whatever.

It is discriminatory to impose it on one group a s opposed to another group

There's always a way to rort the system - whether it be to ring up veges and pick up smokes or whatever.

You could argue the current system discriminates against kids. This system has been introduced successfully in many cases where parents, despite many warnings, just won't do the right thing and are too wrapped up in their own needs/addictions to provide the basics such a food. See it everyday and it's totally dysfunctional. It also tends to travel across generations unfortunately.

Welfare should be a subsistance existence so the recipient tries their damnedest to get off it
If the recipient thinks its against their privilege to be told what they can purchase, they can do something about it

If a particular group cannot look after themselves or their family it most certainly is not discriminatory.
large numbers of people in this country live in filth, squalor and worse than 3rd world conditions and this continues onto the next generation. There are whole communities without hope and to think otherwise is to not be aware of what is actually happening right now in some remote locations well removed from our capital cities

There are currently approx 20,000 people using the Basicscard scheme. This program is costing the government $350 million to run - this works out to be $17,500 per person on the program. What budget emergency? :rolleyes:

I think Scott is referring to it being discriminatory against the Aboriginal community, given that there the proposal is targeted.

It's a fair point, you can't really apply this to one particular segment of the community based on rate or religion without implications of that observation.

The simple solution is to either apply it based on the type of benefits, or make it universal across all benefits regardless of the recipient. If the recipients don't like it, they can appeal to Centrelink on an individual basis.

Edit: How the hell does this cost $350M to run?

I think Scott is referring to it being discriminatory against the Aboriginal community, given that there the proposal is targeted.

It's a fair point, you can't really apply this to one particular segment of the community based on rate or religion without implications of that observation.

The simple solution is to either apply it based on the type of benefits, or make it universal across all benefits regardless of the recipient. If the recipients don't like it, they can appeal to Centrelink on an individual basis.

Edit: How the hell does this cost $350M to run?

Totally agree, everyone who's on benefits and doing the wrong thing should be on it regardless of ethnicity or where they live. I'm sure there are plenty of 'white' beneficiaries who could go on it. However, if more of the above people tend to be living in remote Aboriginal communities then what does that tell you? The current system isn't helping them or anyone else perhaps?

Wellfair cards plzs read

I am on welfare not by choice my daughter was born with congenital myotonic dystrophy stages 3/4 .I receive a Career payment . Full time career .The Government wants to roll this out to everyone on welfare payments apart from age pension . I do the right thing i pay my mortgage . Buy food pay all my bills etc. Now can anyone here tell me if they have ever been to Westmead Childrens Hospital . There a point i Promise . All the shops at the hospital only expect cash no cards . With my daugther what she eats depends ( long Story ) . I see the point for the card with people who have issues on drugs etc . But why does the people trying to do the right thing get punished .

Majority of the laws are devised and implemented based on a minority. Way of the world.

Heard a lady on radio complaining that her children will go hungry because their school canteen still is cash based. Obviously no intention on making packed lunches for her family.

The card will work for some and for those determined it will not.

Back