Coffee Machines

The great thing about Nespresso is the variety of the coffee availables available in an easy format .

There are around 20 different types and they have a regular supply of new ones to try .

We've narrowed our range to about 6 we use on a regular basis . If you wanted that range for a " Normal Machine " you'd need 6 seperate bags . If you to try a different bag of beans you have to buy a bag.

We bought the starter pack from nespresso which contains all of the range .

You can go to the Nespresso shops and try them out . the staff will happily brew you cups so you can try them out.

One thing to be aware of is that the strength of the Brew doesn't relate to how much caffine is in the cup . Out side the decafs all of the pods have similar amounts of Caffine .

Cliff

I don't have a coffee machine, would love one but being a coffee snob it would never be any of the capsule coffee machines. I think they are horrid. Have tried multiple different flavours in them, many of my friends have them. I would have to go a manual machine. I would also have to do a baristas course. I am hopeless at making anything other then instant coffee I am ashamed to admit.

Yea, well if you haven't got a machine!

I think Nescafe expresso made strong is the next best thing to a badly made coffee machine coffee

I'm presuming the Nespresso machines are to do with Nestle-will check it out.

I've been actively boycotting Nestle for years and have signed numerous petitions so it would be hypocritical of me to buy one of theirs.

This is just a couple of the many petitions that spells out the rorts they're involved in-

http://www.petitiononline.com/NoNestle/petition.html (to do with baby formula)

http://action.sumofus.org/a/nestle-nigella-sativa/5/2/?sub=fb (they are trying to patent the fennel flower plant as their own).

I'm also not a massive coffee drinker (love my cuppa tea), but when I have one I like the cafe type coffees. Consequently, I'll be leaning towards the cheaper machines as it's not going to be used very often and not by coffee connoisseurs. :p

Another vote for Jura.
I use it about 3 times a day, every day. Had it about 3 years now and still works perfectly.
There are a couple of issues though. Personally, I find it does not heat the milk enough, although I have been told that's the way it should be. The other thing with it is that it decides when it has to do a descale and thorough clean which both take a while. Rather inconvenient when you just want a quick coffee.

Overall, really happy with it and would buy another.

I have never used one of the capsule machines, but the idea seems to be not much better than instant coffee. I love the aroma when I open a new bag of beans.

There are a couple of issues though. Personally, I find it does not heat the milk enough, although I have been told that's the way it should be.

Hey peastman

Try pinching the hose slightly - that should warm up the milk a bit more.

I normally just leave it on the frothy setting these days and that usually comes out warm enough.

I have never used one of the capsule machines, but the idea seems to be not much better than instant coffee. I love the aroma when I open a new bag of beans.
Agree 100% - maybe us Jura owners are the legit coffee snobs ;)

Cheers

Jamie

1 major problem with pod machines is that they don't have enough grounds in the pods and you end up with a weak coffee, which often means using 2 pods. Long term, the end the savings from pod machines aren't that good and you get an inferior coffee. Kind of like razor blades, cheap handle, expensive blade.

Convenient yes. Cost effective no. Quality coffee no.

Hi Guys,

I have to agree with others here and note that the capsule machines, regardless of the brand and Nespresso included, just don't cut it when compared to a real coffee machine such as the Breville or Jura mentioned here.

With a capsule there's no way to adjust your grind fineness to personal taste and level of crema, there's no way to adjust your grind volume for coffee strength, there's no way to adjust your tamp strength or many other personal nuances allowable with proper machines. But the biggest concern for me is the age of the grind itself. I like to buy my beans straight from the roaster and never let them sit too long before they age. I also like to grind immediately prior to tamping and extracting so my coffee is as fresh as possible. With capsule machines the coffee is dead. Long dead and the fact that it is sealed in an aluminium pod doesn't make it any less dead.

The pod machines are an acceptable office option in lieu of instant coffee but they're nothing compared to a robust DIY machine. Not to mention the amount of waste associated with all those pods and the environmental impact of this. And they're a lot more expensive that the per cup cost achieved when you buy your own beans and grind yourself as required.

So, if convenience is all your concerned with and hang the expense and waste then buy a Nespresso, they're the best of the pods. But if real coffee is your thing buy a real machine and learn how to use it.

Just my humble 2c,
Michael

Hi Guys,
With a capsule there's no way to adjust your grind fineness to personal taste and level of crema, there's no way to adjust your grind volume for coffee strength, there's no way to adjust your tamp strength or many other personal nuances allowable with proper machines. But the biggest concern for me is the age of the grind itself. I like to buy my beans straight from the roaster and never let them sit too long before they age. I also like to grind immediately prior to tamping and extracting so my coffee is as fresh as possible. With capsule machines the coffee is dead. Long dead and the fact that it is sealed in an aluminium pod doesn't make it any less dead.

I am in your camp as well ...

1 major problem with pod machines is that they don't have enough grounds in the pods and you end up with a weak coffee, which often means using 2 pods. Long term, the end the savings from pod machines aren't that good and you get an inferior coffee. Kind of like razor blades, cheap handle, expensive blade.

Convenient yes. Cost effective no. Quality coffee no.

I got to agree. My nespresso lattissima is collecting dust after a month's use. Thinking of selling it on gumtree.

Obviously it depends on how seriously you take your coffee.

Traditionally I'm a non Coffee drinker and for me Nespresso is really nice , but obviously doesn't cut the mustard for some ...

Music on the other hand .... CD's are ok , MP3 passable if I I'm depserate , but FLAC is my preferred medium , but I can hear the difference .

Maybe my taste buds got missed out and all the processing power went to my ears .... :D

Cliff

Coffee can be a very personal thing.

The best thing to do is to taste before you buy, if possible.

The person drinking the coffee is the only one who can really make that decision.

Back