Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help!

Like anything in life, if you want progress there is pain and suffering... :| I find eating untasty food and exercising daily for an hour helps... Went from 86kg down to 70kg - 9% BF within 3 months of just avoiding junk food/daily exercise...

Like anything in life, if you want progress there is pain and suffering... :| I find eating untasty food and exercising daily for an hour helps... Went from 86kg down to 70kg - 9% BF within 3 months of just avoiding junk food/daily exercise...

But the thing is... food doesnt have to be "untasty" to lose weight. I have been enjoying lots of lower fat foods. Just of the top of my head foods like fruits, (i'm loving veges and you can make yummy salads! Sushi is delicious and low in fat. Rice paper rolls. Stir frys are delicious and very healthy. smoked salmon, chicken with different kinds of flavourings on top. Also once you start to eat the healthy fresh unprocessed foods you dont crave the crap junk foods/processed **** anymore.

Yes I agree, it is a lot of hard work. You have to be very patient especially if you have a lot of weight to lose. You need lots of perserverance and steely determination. An almost obsessive like personality. For anyone that needs to lose over 15 kilo's one tip... break it down into mini goals. Go for 5 kg loss at a time. Dont look to far ahead! Its worked for me.

Good work on losing weight btw :)

Update - as at Feb 18, 2011

I'm down to 73.5 kg, losing slowly/steadily. Next goal is to get to 70 kg by April 8th which is my 1 year weight loss anniversary! This will make it a 21 kg loss in 1 year.

So in total I need to lose another 8.5kg to get to my goal weight of 65 kg. This I hope to achieve by July 8. I cant believe it wow. I'm nearly there. Really enjoying my sports, I feel like a kid out there again. So easy to move now and have so much energy/fitter.

Now I just have to become obsessed again with saving like I am with weight loss! :D

Hi Alex, I'm really impressed with your attitude, I think it is fantastic.

Far too many fat people just make excuses for being fat. 'Oh I have a gland/metabolism/water retension/whatever problem'. No you don't, you have a 'I eat too much garbage and don't do any exercise' problem. Don't try to talk to me about these myths - people are fat because they choose to be fat. No one put a gun to their heads and forced them to eat all those chocolate bars and bags of chips and gallons of soda and McDonalds and goodness knows what else

Fat does not just magically appear out of nowhere. Eating healthy, unprocessed, low fat foods prepped from scratch, drinking plenty of water and a moderate amount of exercise (30 minutes walking a day) means you will lose weight. Fatties - stop making excuses and face the issue - you eat too much crap food and don't exercise. It's as simple as that. No one needs a dietitian or pills or any of that stupid diet nonsense sold at chemists that you see on the telly, eating properly is COMMON SENSE. Some people may not like hearing that, but it's a straight up fact.

Cut junk food out of your diet, eat properly and do even a small amount of exercise and watch that metabolism/water retention 'problem' just magically disappear! As Billy Connolly said 'You're not retaining water. You're retaining.... chips and f__ken mars bars'. So true.

Hi Alex, I'm really impressed with your attitude, I think it is fantastic.

Far too many fat people just make excuses for being fat. 'Oh I have a gland/metabolism/water retension/whatever problem'. No you don't, you have a 'I eat too much garbage and don't do any exercise' problem. .

I agree with you to a certain extent........ I may have already posted this on the thread, but last year I had my blood sugars tested, after putting on 20kg in 12 months. I had been having very intense sugar cravings, like crawling up the walls cravings, and had been eating family blocks of chocolate, drinking more alcohol than ever before etc.
So, my blood sugar test showed that I had insulin resistance, which means that I had way too much insulin in my system, which was blocking the needed glucose getting to the cells, which were then crying out for sugar, which I was eating, more insulin was released and the vicious cycle continued. I went on some medication to help control the insulin levels................ overnight, the sugar cravings went. I've had so many people comment on the fact that I rarely eat chocolate now. I can only eat one or two pieces now. Big difference from the family block a day.
So, I guess overeating probably gave me the insulin resistance in the first place, but there is no way I could have then lost weight without the medication.
I'm really glad I went to my GP to look at weight loss options. So many of us are ashamed of being overweight, and we try every stupid diet on the market (all of which make you fatter, I think).
Best to get some medical tests, to see if there is anything underlying which could be contributing.

Regardless of insulin resistance, high GI carbs (sugar, white flour, highly processed carbs) can still play havoc with your system due to sudden and dramatic rises to insulin levels, giving you this type of hunger.

Personally I think a lot of the weight issues we see now are mainly due to the higher GI carbs we're eating. It just happens that many of these processed foods contain a high fat content too.

Pennyk, you broke your cycle through medication, but I believe others with no medical issues need to go cold turkey and simply eliminate these things to get their appetite/cravings under better control.

Carbs should be coming from vegatables, legumes, unprocessed grains and fruit. Fruit juice spikes insulin levels dramatically as well so it's best steering away from those.

Proteins are not evil and are great for filling you up and dampening hunger, we just need to eat proteins that don't contain high levels of fat.

It sounds like it's easier said than done but the pain of kicking high GI carbs is only short lived.

Last edited:
I have a pretty simple system for maintaining a reasonably healthy diet. When I go shopping, I stay out of the aisles. More people do that and their diet will improve dramatically.

Would have replied earlier but I was staaaaaaaaaarving ... I get really shakey when I'm hungry, makes it hard to do anything. I don't do well without food.

I'm down to about 56kg (from about 75) on my eat-whatever-I-feel-like diet so all is good. Partner has barely lost anything, he still takes another sausage or more pasta or something. He likes carbs more than me.

3kg to go and no rush, be happy to lose that over 3 or 4 months.

Would have replied earlier but I was staaaaaaaaaarving ... I get really shakey when I'm hungry, makes it hard to do anything. I don't do well without food.

That's because your blood sugar levels have dropped to too low a level.

I used to feel like that regularly up until a few years ago, and even tested my own blood sugar levels against others on 2 or 3 occasions, after about 3 hours after eating much the same meal, and my reading was always lower than the others. I don't know what that means. All my various blood readings over the years have always been good.

Like you I have a lowish (normal) blood preasure too, and it dropped much lower in pregnancy, like yours did. Apparently this is a fairly normal occurance in an uncomplicated pregnancy.

Yeah, I once dated a fellow with diabetes (type 1) and it was similar to his, but without the whole passing out on the floor thing. I always take snacks with me when I'm out of the house and when I'm at home I snack every 2ish hours, sometimes more frequently. How old were you when you stopped feeling like that btw? I've been this way my entire life.

The blood sugar tests in pregnancy though - argh! They give you what feels like a gallon of glucose without any consideration to how big you are, test you, and surprise surprise I always end up with blood sugar so high I get flagged as borderline for diabetes. Duh, what normal person drinks so much sugar in one hit it makes them feel sick? Random ***** tests when NOT drinking litres of glucose always came up normal, but I don't know which end of the normal range as I didnt do my own testing.

The needing food + low blood sugar thing as well as generally being a featherweight when not gaining an additional half my bodyweight from pregnancy is the primary reason you'll never see me donating blood. If I ever need my own obscure blood type (A-) back, I've inflicted the same type on two of the kiddlywinks (partner is NOT rhesus negative) so I'll just harvest theirs :D

Edit: Damn you swear filter ... P R I C K is not a naughty word!

I'm down to about 56kg (from about 75) on my eat-whatever-I-feel-like diet so all is good.

I hate you right now.. :p

Anyway, I've finally gotten my stupid boot off my ankle, but I'm still not allowed to exercise too much for a few more weeks and I'm not allowed to run/skip for a good 3 more weeks.

I stopped the Lite 'N' Easy after between 6-8 weeks (can't really remember, but stopped it about 8-10 weeks ago) and I now regret it, since going off it I've put on a lot of weight. Although someone said all their meals are full of salt, which I assume isn't very good for the whole blood pressure problem that many people have.

The only reason I stopped it was because I wanted *real* food, I'm not a person that can stick to having microwave meals 24/7.

I do know the weight I've put on is my own fault (obviously), and I thought I only needed to lose 5-7kgs - It's actually more like 10-12kgs now :( I have 11 months to lose that before the weeding and will be starting to change my diet and in a few weeks I will be hopefully be able to go on light jogs - I've just got to get the whole walking thing down first!

Yeah, I once dated a fellow with diabetes (type 1) and it was similar to his, but without the whole passing out on the floor thing. I always take snacks with me when I'm out of the house and when I'm at home I snack every 2ish hours, sometimes more frequently. How old were you when you stopped feeling like that btw? I've been this way my entire life.

I got this to about late 20's. I can easily go without food for hours now.

I can only assume my body was too efficient at insulin production then :confused:.

Your friend's situation is different altogether and would have been dangerous if he felt that way, unlike yours or mine.

I have a pretty simple system for maintaining a reasonably healthy diet. When I go shopping, I stay out of the aisles. More people do that and their diet will improve dramatically.

How do you get the food? Isn't ALL the food in the aisles?

I reached my goal of under 70kg (69.5) but put on 2kg over January. 71.5kg now so a few to lose. I want to stay under 70kg. I'm wanting to get to 68kg before I get to Belgium (in 7 weeks) as I want to eat Belgian waffles and chocolate.:p:p

I'm not a big eater but I LOVE chocolate and sweets. That's what puts the weight on. So to lose weight I just stop eating the chockies and I'm right.

Well done Kim. You have done so well. You must be very proud of yourself. :D:D

I hate you right now.. :p
Hehe :p

In the past I've had major troubles *gaining* weight though. And your health suffers pretty badly when you're considerably underweight, like catching every cold that goes around *really* badly and generally being run-down. The missing ingredient was just 'happy'. I'd wager its the same for a lot of overweight people too, once they are in a happy place their weight would drop because the reasons for comfort eating go away. Thing is, getting happy isn't that easy.

My partner on the other hand suffers from waistband bracket creep from taking second helpings of too-nice dinners. If he'd stick to just one helping he'd be fine but willpower is not his strong point :rolleyes:

That and too many chocolate milk drinks. We go through 3L of full-cream milk a DAY in this house :eek: You seen what milk does to baby cows?!

As a teenager/young adult I was always battling the 5 extra pounds.
When I was 22 I almost choked to death eating a hotdog.I was by myself.
Changed my life and have never had a "over weight" problem again...
I went from 120 lbs to 102 lbs. I looked at cookbooks for my meals, if I was home alone. I was terrified to eat byself.
Almost 30 years later and it is still a struggle to eat enough. I chew every mouthful a minimum of the suggested 29 times. I usually get tired of chewing before I get full and push my plate away. A 3 year old would eat more food than I do. I now flucuate between 110-115 lbs, which is great because I'm only 5'1"
When I'm sad I stop eating..as others have said, fat people eat when sad.

I was watching a TV show a while ago, which I'm sure many people already know, but thought I would share anyways.
1) If you eat the raw food, you will absorb less calories, than if you eat the same food cooked.
2) The raw food will not give you the same energy, so you will get tired faster
3) To simply calculate how many calories your body burns..without doing exercise
200 base calories + 8x your current weight (in lbs)

So for me I need 1096 calories a day to maintain.

I have 11 months to lose that before the weeding and will be starting to change my diet and in a few weeks I will be hopefully be able to go on light jogs

Lil, start the weeding now and in 11 months time you will have reached your target without diet changes at all ;)

.... not only that, but your garden will look immaculate too :)

Update - as at Feb 18, 2011

I'm down to 73.5 kg, losing slowly/steadily. Next goal is to get to 70 kg by April 8th which is my 1 year weight loss anniversary! This will make it a 21 kg loss in 1 year.

Excellent work Kim! A nice and steady pace for weight loss that must have come from a core change in lifestyle that will help ensure you keep it off once you have reached your goal. Feels great doesn't it? :)

Really happy for you - all the wealth in the world is worth nothing without your health...

RumpledElf;763537In the past I've had major troubles *gaining* weight though.[/QUOTE said:
I still hate you :p

Although, I hate being sick - I get knocked about quite a bit if I get a headache or cold, luckily for me I get over it very quickly and usually don't get sick :)

Lil, start the weeding now and in 11 months time you will have reached your target without diet changes at all ;)

.... not only that, but your garden will look immaculate too :)

Lol, whoops! Wedding!

Funny isn't it? When writing routine inspections lately instead of saying the garden needs weeding, I write wedding :eek:

Must've been in work mode when I wrote that one as I've spent weeks trying to make sure I write weeding!

How do you get the food? Isn't ALL the food in the aisles?

I reached my goal of under 70kg (69.5) but put on 2kg over January. 71.5kg now so a few to lose. I want to stay under 70kg. I'm wanting to get to 68kg before I get to Belgium (in 7 weeks) as I want to eat Belgian waffles and chocolate.:p:p

I'm not a big eater but I LOVE chocolate and sweets. That's what puts the weight on. So to lose weight I just stop eating the chockies and I'm right.

Well done Kim. You have done so well. You must be very proud of yourself. :D:D

The butcher deli section isn't in the aisles
Neither is the fruit & b4ege
Nor the bread

Back