Diet shakes

Has anyone used these chemist promoted diet shakes?

I bought a couple on the weekend to try and had one this morning - now have the worst case of indigestion and feel a bit sick.

Has anyone else had this experience?

It's definitely going to stop me eating anything much today, so I suppose from that point of view it is working!

There are better ways to loose weight

Healthy eating and regular exercise

Believe me I know - I lost 30 kg in 12 months
It takes time and committment

I drank fresh juices every day - none of that chemist crap

I have 2 friends that have used it (girls) and they both lost a fair bit. One about 15kgs in 2 months, another 4kgs in 4 weeks (she just told me last week)

so they do work...but I think it's more about the lifestyle choice, it 'forces' you to eat their stuff. if you 'force' yourself to just eat healthier and do some excercise it would be just as good IMO.

try something like cold beef salad - chop up some (cooked now cold) left over steak, add in baby spinach, sliced capsicum, mushrooms, sliced carrot. make a dressing of two tablespoons honey, one soy sauce, a teaspoon of diced ginger. (heat honey to mix well).

Filling (protein from the beef, fibre from the veg), healthy, won't put you to sleep, and yummy!

(sorry please don't take as preaching etc - I just tried this the other day and found to be very yum)

ask the chemist if he sells a diet product that doesn't include shakes, but rather, teaches you how to prepare balanced meals of correct portions for the rest of your life.

Cottage cheese on Rye bread is great, whole fresh carrots.

I use protein shakes to help the body recover from physical activity, the online supplement places sell protein shakes for weight loss as well as weight gain. My mother in law has tried the chemist stuff and she liked it but reading the pack you can buy in bulk from suppliment places for a lot less.

If you can't get a good healthy meal in they are OK but changing your eating and learning how to count calories is a better long term solution.

On the feeling sick, my wife has tried different suppliments and some make her feel sick, heavy stomach, churning feelings, etc. You might just have to try different products and mix them with different liquids, juice, milk or water.

Cheers
Graeme

If you are what you eat I must be fast, cheap and easy

I recently tried one of those diet shakes a workmate had, nasty stuff, someone had stolen the flavour. Whatever happened to meal replacement shakes like EAS Myoplex or Met-Rx?

Maybe Bodybuilder can help out here :confused:

A friend of mine swears by isoway. She enjoys the flavours and said it sorts out hormnes etc. Has lost a lot of weight.
Years ago I used reliv' diet shakes. I didn't love the taste, but they sure helped shed the kilos (sadly all back now) but they were extremely well balanced product range.
I've just recently started my own concoction for brekky.
100grams low fat yoghurt.
40grams raspberries
10grams flaked almonds
1/2 a small banana
and a sprinkling of sunflower seeds
blend
it tastes a little tart but I think it tastes yum

I'm having tuna or chicken or cheese and salad for lunch with one slice of decent healthy bread

whatever I feel like for dinner within reason plus piece of fruit.

snacking on popcorn and carrots (okay and on a small pack of chips a couple of times a week - my weakness,)

walking twice a week. not much i know, but a start and better than the "nothing" I was usually doing!

Lost 4.5 kilos in about 4 weeks. but then I have a lot to shift!

Why do you want to take the shakes Minx - is it the nutrition or weightloss or both?

If you go the "diet shake" option - what do you do when you lose the ??KG of weight you are aiming to lose? If you start eating "normal" again you will just stack the weight back on. Replacing meals with shakes for the rest of your life really isn't an option. All shakes do is limit the calories you are consuming, which is why people lose weight using them (research calories in vs. calories out)

As WinstonWolfe said, learn how to prepare balanced meals of correct proportions. To lose the weight and keep it off, you need to make a lifestyle change.

Lost 4.5 kilos in about 4 weeks. but then I have a lot to shift!

Why do you want to take the shakes Minx - is it the nutrition or weightloss or both?

Well done Silversands. Me? A fair bit to shift too.

Our son's partner uses the shakes and has done well, but sadly they don't appear to be for me. Nothing works better than healthy eating and exercise, at my age I should know better!

Thanks everyone else for the information.

As WinstonWolfe said, learn how to prepare balanced meals of correct proportions. To lose the weight and keep it off, you need to make a lifestyle change.

I know, but easier said than done. :rolleyes: I hate milky things, don't know why I even bothered. Not to worry, I'm feeling motivated at the moment - and I know what to do - just got to do it.

Thanks for those that tried to answer my question and for those with well meant advice, thank you too. :)

If you are what you eat I must be fast, cheap and easy

I recently tried one of those diet shakes a workmate had, nasty stuff, someone had stolen the flavour. Whatever happened to meal replacement shakes like EAS Myoplex or Met-Rx?

Maybe Bodybuilder can help out here :confused:

There are some good "meal replacement" shakes, but they are far and few between. Generally, the quality of the ingredients in the chemist ones are very poor, and ONLY work because they limit calories.

You can still get ones like Myoplex and Met-Rx, as well as a few other good ones. But they are expensive. Even more so now, with the currency exchange rate. I'd only ever recommend replacing morning/afternoon tea with a shake, never one of your main meals. I would much rather eat quality foods than take a shake. Apart from limiting calories, the ONLY advantage I see with meal replacement shakes is convenience.

Everyone seems to "not have enough time" these days :rolleyes: Over the weekend I worked out of town, and worked 14hrs both days. But I stayed up late Friday night cooking all my meals, and took them with me in cooler bags. If you want something bad enough (like weight loss), then you will make time. You need to make the effort to learn how to change your lifestyle.

Best of luck Minxdamanx, I am sure you will achieve your goals if you put in the effort. There are quite a few people on here with knowledge of weight loss and nutrition, (there was a similar topic not long ago), so feel free to ask questions and I'm sure you'll get well informed answers.

Dont take those shakes. They're a con.

What happens is you lose muscle mass which means the second you stop taking them, the weight just stacks back on. Plus you have less energy so you can't stay on them very long.

And then when you put the weight back on, you remember the weight loss you had before with the shakes so you go back on them, and since most people blame themselves when they fail at a weight loss program, they go back onto the shakes and the cycle repeats.

A number of these programs recommend you stay on them for one meal a day even once you get to your ideal weight. I wonder why this is...

Hate to say it, but if you want to drive from point A to point B, then when you go back from point B to point A, the best way is the reverse of how you got there in the first place. Dieting is no different. Whatever caused you to put the weight on has to be reversed for you to lose weight.

To shed a few kgs i would personally start counting macros and weighing foods but that can be a fair bit extreme for a beginner, so i would start by cutting down on your carbohydrate intake eg - if your having alot of starchy carbs like - bread, bananas, pastas,potatoes i would cut back on them and replace them with high protein foods like fish, chicken breast, tuna, egg whites (not to many yolks) with a moderate amount of exercise (simply walking) will melt fat away :)

as per shakes i take them daily i love them mixed with frozen berries and skim milk/water.

if you want results 80% is your diet while the 20% is exercise/weight training

I haven't posted for yonks, but many on here and my partner have done very well on the Cohens lifestyle program. You basically just eat regular food in small proportions and pay one upfront fee and the cost of 4 or so blood tests, thats it.

My partner has lost 40KG's, another lady Asy, who used to be a frequent poster lost far more and many others are on here. She has loads of energy and is now going to the gym and walking every day. Cohens also makes you realise that we do eat far too much and gives you a good indication of how much you should really be eating, ala what WinstonWolfe said.

Cohens has been an inspiration to watch and you dont have to drink shakes or eat "meal replacements", you just have to be disciplined.

those programs can cost a fair amount of money where all one has to be is disciplined, think of it as saving money... you must be disciplined to do that same with your lifestyle habits diet and training

strong mind = strong person. ;)

Back