Do you know anyone like this

@OP

I know people like this. One colleague at work comes to mind who had to name drop all the celebrities he believed he has met including allegedly Angelina Joliie and Prince Charles. Interesting this same fellow gave a long winded speech about why he didn't get a three figure job ( plus car - BMW no less, plus os travel)in a major international company - the final reason being he was too intelligent and they wanted someone much less smart for the job ?. Go figure.
Meanwhile he's working in a junior position feeling like he needs to give others with far more experience advice about everything from work to money to life in general.

Just thought of another one for your next party "sub-brag" - perfect for us SS'er's....

"Oh, bloody hell; I've got 4 out of my total of 6 IP's all vacant at the same time this month..how's my luck?!"
;)

Just thought of another one for your next party "sub-brag" - perfect for us SS'er's....

"Oh, bloody hell; I've got 4 out of my total of 6 IP's all vacant at the same time this month..how's my luck?!"
;)

"Oh bloody hell! The reserve bank dropped interest rates and now my 10 properties aren't negative geared anymore. What shall I do?"

Where da personell accountability here???

@OP

I know people like this. One colleague at work comes to mind who had to name drop all the celebrities he believed he has met including allegedly Angelina Joliie and Prince Charles. Interesting this same fellow gave a long winded speech about why he didn't get a three figure job ( plus car - BMW no less, plus os travel)in a major international company - the final reason being he was too intelligent and they wanted someone much less smart for the job ?. Go figure.
Meanwhile he's working in a junior position feeling like he needs to give others with far more experience advice about everything from work to money to life in general.

I met Prince Charles once,
got to shout "Good morning Sir" in answer to "good morning Men" from only 300yds awy, in a crowd of 3000 troops in review,
I'm sure that counts. :p

I haven't read through the entire thread but I find myself having to bite my toungue constantly with the inlaws. They are of the mindframe that what you have defines who you are and they love to brag. They are always telling us how this persons son is earning X amount per week etc etc. It is much less than what we are earning but you can't tell what we are earning because we are living so frugally while we are investing aggresively. SO tempting to tell them what we earn but what would be the point? They wouldn't understand why we haven't bought a boat and a holiday home and all the other things you don't need....

I've had the misfortune of knowing/working with a couple of people who exhibit traits very similar to the lady in MTR's original post. Even worse than constantly needing to talk about their successes and virtues, they both had a habit of making statements which subtly diminished other peoples achievements.

I'm no psychologist but I suspect it's some form of personality disorder, maybe Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Maybe we should cut these people some slack - if they had a physical disability we would no doubt be more forgiving?

Oh, I also worked with an extremely intelligent woman (Investment Bank analyst) who completely lacked personal awareness. She would talk at the top of her voice in our quiet open plan office, unintentionally give rude/abrupt answers to people, openly discuss details of personal investments, etc. In one case, the whole office (50+ staff) was shocked as she spoke loudly on the phone about the results of her pap smear. My diagnosis of her is that she suffered from some form of autism!

I've had the misfortune of knowing/working with a couple of people who exhibit traits very similar to the lady in MTR's original post. Even worse than constantly needing to talk about their successes and virtues, they both had a habit of making statements which subtly diminished other peoples achievements.

I'm no psychologist but I suspect it's some form of personality disorder, maybe Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Maybe we should cut these people some slack - if they had a physical disability we would no doubt be more forgiving?

Oh, I also worked with an extremely intelligent woman (Investment Bank analyst) who completely lacked personal awareness. She would talk at the top of her voice in our quiet open plan office, unintentionally give rude/abrupt answers to people, openly discuss details of personal investments, etc. In one case, the whole office (50+ staff) was shocked as she spoke loudly on the phone about the results of her pap smear. My diagnosis of her is that she suffered from some form of autism!

Could be some psychiatric disorder, who knows I am not a shrink, even if this were the case it may excuse the behaviour to a point but not easy to be around someone with this personality.

I'm no psychologist but I suspect it's some form of personality disorder, maybe Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
My diagnosis of her is that she suffered from some form of autism!

For someone who admits you having no qualifications you sure are quick to diagnose peoples issues.
What diagnosis do you give for your own condition?

I haven't read through the entire thread but I find myself having to bite my toungue constantly with the inlaws. They are of the mindframe that what you have defines who you are and they love to brag. They are always telling us how this persons son is earning X amount per week etc etc. It is much less than what we are earning but you can't tell what we are earning because we are living so frugally while we are investing aggresively. SO tempting to tell them what we earn but what would be the point? They wouldn't understand why we haven't bought a boat and a holiday home and all the other things you don't need....

if I had one, id lend you my lamborghini, and while she is telling someone how she or her son drives a mercedes or bmw to turn upin front of her house with one, and say, can I borrow one of your many garages to store my car, as the ferrari came back from the shop

For someone who admits you having no qualifications you sure are quick to diagnose peoples issues.
What diagnosis do you give for your own condition?

Well, my 'diagnosis' was tongue in cheek - thought that would have been obvious. My point, perhaps poorly articulated, was that in some cases peoples social behaviour might not be something they can always control.

We've seen an 84 year old guy on train. He gets on at Parramatta. Almost every single time he tries to find someone who looks Indian and says "Namste", then "How are you?" in Hindi. Then tells them his story how he is speaks Hindi, Chinese, Spanish, French etc etc something like eight languages. Then he says he worked in the British Army as a spy followed by the same old jokes he repeats every time. May be the only people he recognises are those who are or look remotely Indian. We almost know by heart what he would say. He seems like a happy man and I think he's old and looks really content....

...But at times it has gotten to the point of being a bit too annoying hearing the same thing....

May be I'm just grumpy.

Well many have said .... perhaps insecurities whatever.... my neighbour has turned out to be quite OK, perhaps she was feeling insecure have no idea. Luce mentioned DH similar, but neighbour has settled and all good.

Hi All

Have to share this.

We have new neighbours who invited us over, they also invited neighbours on the other side for drinks and nibbles. Was really looking forward to a nice evening.

Seemed like a nice couple, she is a stockbroker, he has his own business, web page developer.

I thought we had a few things in common as we both foster dogs.

From the moment we walked in the door she spent the night discussing her brilliance, comments like I get paid too much, she name dropped all evening mentioning some of her prominent clients. She spoke about her job as if it were her own company, mentioned the donations they make to charity bla bla bla

Then she proceeded to discuss the money she made on the last 3 properties she sold. It did not end there.... then she started lecturing on the need for diversification and that she knows a number of investors who have 10+ properties and that there will be a crash, and that Australian property is over valued. Also she has 1 good property and loves the negatively geared strategy and how well that works.

Neither her or her partner were interested in anyone around the table. It took some effort but I said nothing whatsoever with regards to property or investing.

Fortunately I have never ever met anyone like this, could not leave quick enough, came away actually feeling sorry for her, I see her as a "wanna be" ... I thought how sad, someone is so insecure.

Sorry, bit of a rant, and boring as...:)

Just wait till you are driving the car out the driveway before going to work and you look in their front yard and see them both drinking a stubbie at 7 in the morning without the business clothes with stunned looks on their faces and a tow truck driver taking the cars too the auctions,very hard to look within any profession and the people that come in the front door that succeed and the ones that exit the back door,, most stock brokers have a very high mortality rate..

She did say I needed to invest in shares with 6% net return and just keep loading.... but I luv property;) What she does not know is that I retired from property investing some 8 years ago now, she was not interested to know what I do, suits me fine. I wont be buying shares, not my thing:p

Back