Earthquake in Melb

Quick, print the I Survived the 2012 Melbourne Earthquake t shirts...

And it seems it was felt right across the city....bloody carbon tax....;)

]I'm in an apartment on the 32nd floor in Southbank. Whole episode freaked me out!
My wife and I were just talking about high rises and how scary that would be during an eathquake

Ditto here in Macedon Ranges 80km north east of Melbourne CBD.

Felt it but no damage. Daughter bed moved (it is on wheels) and our couch felt like it was being bumped about 5 times in row.

Glad we were not 32 floors up.

Peter

a freind of mine in a southbank apartment just called me and heard people running around like headless turkeys on his floor since escalators werent working! I suppose they could go to the top floor, and if the building collapsed that'd have a better mathematical chance of surviving being on the top floor as opposed to a lower one

HaHa Wobby....

Earth didn't move for me as i was driving between chaddy to moorabs att.If i felt something i would of been thinking the car needed a wheel alignment lol.

I only learnt of the tremor when attending a job in templestowe around 10pm...Customer asks if i'm here about the tremor,i ask what tremor?

HaHa Wobby....

Earth didn't move for me as i was driving between chaddy to moorabs att.If i felt something i would of been thinking the car needed a wheel alignment lol.

I only learnt of the tremor when attending a job in templestowe around 10pm...Customer asks if i'm here about the tremor,i ask what tremor?

Actually that was my experience of the Newcastle earthquake in the 1980s, I was on the F3 at the time driving north of Wyong and thought there was a lot of wind blowing the car around.

Update - Earthquake 2012

In the wake of the Earthquake (measuring 5.3) in Moe on the 19th June 2012, the Gillard Govt has announced a new Govt initiative to address Seismic concerns moving forward to eliminate the possibility of future Earthquakes in the Region.

The PM said” My Govt cannot and will not sit by and let these events continue to occur unabated. We must address the events in Moe and prevent them happening elsewhere in future. My Govt’s direct action policy is to implement an STS(Seismic Trading Scheme), not a tax, to ensure these events won’t occur again.”

The Treasurer expanded further with details of how this scheme will work.

Swan said “It’s really quite simple, we will be putting a levy on every person with a BMI(Body Mass Index) greater than 20 who is on an income over $100,000 pa for singles and $150,000 pa for working families. This will encourage those causing the Seismic events to reduce their BMI. It is important Australia takes the lead on this issue and shows the rest of the world how to stop these Seismic events from unfolding in the first place. As part of the compensation package, 50% of the levy collected will be delivered to the Australian people who are under an income of $80,000 for singles and $100,000 for working families as compensation for the STS." The remainder will go towards Administration costs. "Peter Garrett will head up the new portfolio, as he dances like he's standing in the middle of an Earthquake anyway", said Swan.
He expanded further saying “If our neighbours, such as Indonesia implemented such a scheme we could drastically reduce Seismic activities throughout the region, it would be pretty easy there as they really only have a handful of fat rich blokes causing the problem in the poorer countries.”

The opposition leader Tony Abbott commented “There is no evidence this will do anything to prevent Earthquakes in the future. I strongly believe the events in Moe are a direct result of the Carbon Tax this Govt is imposing on the Australian People. When questioned further on the link between the Carbon Tax and the Earthquake in Moe by a puzzled Media throng, Mr Abbott replied “ Look….you simply cannot release the amount of cash this Govt has as the Carbon Tax compensation package in Moe, and not expect a Seismic event when that number of poker machines spin simultaneously.”

The Shadow treasurer was less than impressed. Hockey commented “There doing f^%ken What!?!?!? This is a discriminatory tax that is essentially going to see me personally directly supporting that Watermelon Bob Brown’s retirement”.

Parliament will commence debate on the STS in the coming days, as soon as they have finalised the committee findings on whether Craig Thomson’s latest claims are true. Thomson continues to deny the claims that he used HSU funds to sleep with a prostitute stating “It is not possible I am still a virgin and have the hymen to prove it.”

More as further developments arise in the coming day.

Last edited:
Port Melbourne here. Was fairly severe. How far and wide did it go?
I live in Dromana - about 55km's south of Melb CBD.

I felt a very slight tremor through the couch I was sitting on at the time; thought it was a stronger gust of wind buffeting the house. Lasted about a second or two.

I heard it started in Moe; musta been two dero bogans having a brawl because one stole the other's moccies while at the tatt shop.

Melbourne made it onto my desktop quake map
woo

attachment.php

Attachments

• earthquake_map.jpg
    earthquake_map.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Back