Election 2004 - the main focus

Hi All,

The way i look at it is from outside the square as well as from real life experience

Back in the days when interest rate was at an all time high of 17% plus
should i say i have got a huge mortgage with 3 IP to pay off
During that time Labor is running the place
Paul is his name and i'll never forget that

Like they all said S.H.I.T HAPPENS
It only happens when Paul just keep spending on the money and makes us owe a lot of overseas debt and no way of thinking to paying it back or reduce our overseas debt

Now when Jonny comes on and start selling off Telstra
to pay off our DEBT
every Tom Dick or Harry starts to say what a whatever he is
BUT they did not see who puts in this S.H.I.T in the first place?

I guess if you have experience what i have you will know who the hell that party is...
Thats right it is Paul Keating

If you were to think all that about what Latham is offering is good,
Good Luck to your investing future and don't come in here and post when the rates are at an all time high of 17%
cos you vote for Latham

As far as i can see all he does is spending money and where the hell does the money comes from
We borrow from overseas to fund it
during this time the rates would keep going up

I know that a few of you mention not many people can afford even 8% or 12% in interest rate or else you see a lot of people selling

So far Latham haven't convince me yet?
I'm still thinking where the hell is he going to get the money from???

From me i'm an investor just like everyone else here on this forum
I based everything on facts of what i have experience (some people called that core believe or opinion: is just like an a.r.s.e.h.o.l.e. everybody got one)
as well as from the things that i have seen happening

John gets my vote

Regards
Jerry

A wonderful command of the English language there.

The irony is that while everyone has this bizarre 'Labor = spend' idea in their heads, it's John Howard and the Liberals than are blowing money left, right and centre on election promises. The Liberal plans far outweigh the Labor plans. Mark Latham can't spend as much as Howard otherwise he'll get blasted for being 'irresponsible'.

This rate rise nonsense is an old as weapons of mass destruction or 'children overboard'. If you can't see through the thinly veiled lies then you deserve the government you get.

I cant speak for Labour's economic management credentials in this whole debate. But their their promises are alot less expensive than Liberals. So this whole interest rate thing is a non-starter as an issue to me. Whoever a) spends the least in promises and b) keep wages low is probably going to have the best chance of keeping interest rates low. BUT, and this is a big but, interest rate rises are the sign of a growing and strengthening economy. As long as inflation is kept in a reasonable amount of control (no blow out in government spending or wage costs), then isnt an interest rate rise really a good thing?.

You are right Qaz. Interest rate rises linked to the economy are OK and a good thing. That is why I harp on about rate rises because IMO I see a strong economy out there.

THe risk with Labour as I read id the return to Union power in wage barginnning. Some of the rights they seek si time off for blood donors, and the right to be informed of every change. In the past ( i have read) this resulted in nonsense stop work meeting every thime a change was proposed.

Despite being working class stock I find some Unions are very much out of reality.

Whilst blood donation is important. Why should business owners have to pay for staff time to give blood? The bank is open after hours and weekend? Vans can come for lunchtime.

This is social engineering. I read also around 65 of the 98 labour MP have never done a job except union or politics. That scares me.

Peter 147

Closing Comment

HI All

Back in Sept 30 I posted this thread with the following assessment below. Since then many have added their views and comments. So I thought it would be good to see how close we were to getting the feel of the electorate.

From a review of my comment it was suprisingly spot on.

In the end what mattered was the economy, rates and trust (translate into experience). Here are the main points as I see them.

Peter 147 said:
focus is as I expected.
:) Liberals is basing their strategy on the economy and defense.
:) Labour on vision, social equity and values.

IN THE END THIS WAS THE SAME FOCUS, LABOUR ADDED GREEN VIA LOGGING POLICY BUT IT WAS TOO LATE TO UNDERSTAND AND BY THEM WE ALL HAD POLICY OVERLOAD

The trick for each party is to get their agenda to be first in our minds and media discussions. And so far…..

.............turning it around to focus "trust" on economic management. For example taken from today’s Australian:

Who do you trust to keep the economy strong and protect family living standards? Who do you trust to keep interest rates low? Who do you trust to lead the fight on Australia's behalf against international terrorism?

"We can be trusted more to deliver a strong economy and to keep living standards safe and to keep interest rates low. Labor in the past has always presided over high interest rates, big spending, big budget deficits."

K.I.S.S. KEEP IT SIMPLE AND THEY DID

Libs have stated interest rates will be higher under Labour,THE CONTINUED TO DO SO THE ENTIRE CAMPAIGN thereby baiting Labour to fight on his turf. Latham has no creditability here to call upon and simply must say "that is not so and we have changed". To do so he must show policy to demonstrate the change. LABOUR NEVER DID . THEY SIMPLY SAID THE LIBS WERE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE GOOD TIMES. AFTER 8 YEARS THIS DOES NOT WASH

The Prime Minister called on his rival to release Labor's tax plan claiming voters had a right to know how it would be funded.

"I mean we're six weeks from the election and we don't know what this man stands for," Mr. Howard said. "He wants to be prime minister. We know that. Fair enough. But we have no idea what he stands for."

HERE LABOUR WENT WELL SHOWING THEY CAN COST POLICY

The Libs will then tear it apart unless it is very, sound and very, very easy for the average voter to understand. Complex assistance programs and tax charges bred fear.
LABOUR AVOIDED THIS ONE TO ITS CREDIT BUT FAILED TO USE THIS TO THIER ADVANTAGE VIA ADS

I expect an ambush in wait for the real Labour election weakness, Simon Crean as treasurer.

SIMON WHO?!?!? THE SHADOW TREASURER LITERALLY

Labour says this

…. the Opposition Leader began his election pitch with a call for a new generation of political leadership, promising to rebuild public services in health and education.

Risky as it assumes the generational issue matters which I believe does not. Age is irrelevant; it is good policy and the courage to act that matters.
THE ELECTORATE AGREED

Also there are more, older voters than ever before and Latham could play this age card to his disadvantage. His recent illness also stuffs up any edge he had on health.
More strong is

"This election is about two things overall – building a ladder of opportunity and restoring trust in our national government," Mr Latham told reporters in Sydney.

The “Ladder” comments seems to have hit a goal in many minds however many has already climbed this “ladder” under Liberals. Explosion in IP investments, super, jobs, cheap imports, etc..

Again Trust is what hits home. Whether the electorate considers punishing a Gov over lies in “children overboard” and ignoring advice on security “Iraq War” is more important than “interest rates and the economy” remains to be seen. THE BIG SUPRISE THAT IRAQ WAS A NON ISSUE

.[/I]

Regards Peter 147

I would like to close by saying from the recent political posts it would appear whilst many of us here are informed voters it is clear many of not the majority are not.

FYI When I asked my 73 year old mum whom she voted for it was Howard because she did not like Latham. She also did not like Costello ( the smirk). So it would seem, in the end, it can be as simple as that!

Regards Peter 147

[anything I say here is not intended as a flame to anyone here.. apologies if you take offence]

Whilst we'd like to think that all Aussies are well informed like the most of us here :cool: , obviously we aren't that lucky......

Many Australians are only interested in what will happen in their own neighbourhood... Iraq ?? isn't that another way to say "I rock !!!" :confused: Ignorance I guess is the key here...

Voter apathy ??? I guess......

Personally - I cant stand Howard or Costello..... Latham ?? dunno..... BUT the libs in general have steered us well... Labour does not have a good track record...... All this does not mean I would have voted Liberal......

I'm not registered to vote, as, I see that there is no difference..... all political parties have been corrupted by different interests.... will there REALLY be any difference.... not much.... life goes on.......

:eek:

No actually, to be honest I saw the swing back to the Liberals as a sign of wisdom. Because it shows the people recognise that Australia is in a healthy state at the moment. Its easy to winge about taxes and how the government isnt spending enough $$$ on this or that service. It takes a little more wisdom to recognise when things are going reasonably well (14 straight years of economic growth).

I thought the Democrat result was interesting. There have been times when I haven't wanted to back either major party, but I never saw either the Democrats or Greens as a valid alternative so I voted for the lesser of two evils.

My perception is that the Democrats are an irrelevent party who just tend to get in the way of the political process, trying to bend legislation (good or bad) through tradeoffs and concessions.

What good is economic growth, when the same people have led us down the path to being probably the second or third most annoying and hated nation on earth by cultures that place no value on human life and couldnt give a toss about how strong our economy looks.

cheers

bicko

qaz said:
No actually, to be honest I saw the swing back to the Liberals as a sign of wisdom. Because it shows the people recognise that Australia is in a healthy state at the moment. Its easy to winge about taxes and how the government isnt spending enough $$$ on this or that service. It takes a little more wisdom to recognise when things are going reasonably well (14 straight years of economic growth).
Qaz,

Don't forget that the Liberals were only in power for 8 of those 14 years :)

And there are social issues as well as economic ones.

The point isn't that Australia's economy needs fixing, it's that there are many non-economic factors that are not being given sufficient time or mindspace.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

another round of that $14000 FHOG would stir things up a bit. (I know, I know, yes Im impatient)

One of the biggest issues that hopefully Johnny will adress is the improvement and preservation of our water ways and catchment areas.
Some big gutsy moves will be needed, Im willing to take higher interest rates and increased taxes, if it means my childrens children will have a clean freshwater supply.

A ban on diesel and subsidies for hybrid powered vehicles would take big balls. An alternative for diesel is a big problem...... what else is there to power our heavy transport............ (maybe back to steam)

cheers

bicko

Back