Frugal Living Ideas

Hiya

I find that my greatest cost saver is when i make the switch to Aldi....i think i saved half my grocery bills ....
I just cant see it.
We have one near us, its hopeless but I have a mate who swears by it.
I went shopping with him a few weeks back and we probably got about 1/8th of what we needed and had to go to woolies and a nearby asian grocer for the rest so in the long run given fuel used for two lots of shops it would have been cheaper just going to woolies.

It's all relative of course but I've recently chopped $350 per month out of my expenses by
- only buying lunch once per week (or less)
- only buying coffee once per week
- not grocery shopping one week per month - sometimes need to pick up a couple of things but it makes us use what's in the fridge / cupboard rather than buying more & throwing things out.

I also buy at the markets & do my best to buy in season.

Buy bulk when practical / buy up when things are on sale.

Once we move I'll get a freezer, probably chest so I can buy more in bulk

Last edited:
I'm working in the field. Let's do the calculations.
We'll assume you get 4kWh/day/kWp and pay 28c/kWh. And let's say you're using 70% of your generated electricity and get a FIT of 8c/kWh and the price for a 5kW system is $6k.

So it's 6000/(5*365*4(0.7*0.28+0.3*0.08))=3.74 years.

Not ages in my books! Plus you get free electricity for another 20 years after that.

Definitely worth it for me, I put 5kW on my roof and it cost me $5700, including a full meter box upgrade.

That's actually very reasonable. Thanks for sharing.

We'll assume you get 4kWh/day/kWp and pay 28c/kWh. And let's say you're using 70% of your generated electricity and get a FIT of 8c/kWh and the price for a 5kW system is $6k.

Not ages in my books! Plus you get free electricity for another 20 years after that.

Definitely worth it for me, I put 5kW on my roof and it cost me $5700, including a full meter box upgrade.

Solar panels is definitely something I'd look into once I get my own place.

I'll run the numbers on it - but I reckon they would definitely be worth it.

The only thing is, I don't use all that much electricity. I'm sure they'd be more worth it in houses that use more electricity.

We used to have a very generous FIT scheme here in WA, but you can't get it any more (cost the government a stupid amount of money)

Pretend to be a vagrant and solicit alms.

Go to soup kitchens and other charitable organisations for a free feed, clothes etc

I thought that I'd seen you at Vinnies in the druitt.

You forgot to mention dumpster diving at Woolies/Coles (you get better stuff at Thomas Dux)

Ride your bike to work/shops etc rather than using the car (too overrated).

Hire a car/cab when you need one rather than owning or join one of the community car hire groups eg Go get

Use a long extension lead from the common area stairs for vacuum cleaning etc.

Add water to the paint before using it, mix well.

Use tinted undercoat and one coat of finish paint.

Buy only top quality leather soled shoes & have them resoled & heeled (before the first wear) this will extend their life. (You won't wear them out).

Buy quality, not cheap.

1) Get a bike.

Use it instead of a car, when you can.

Need a boot? No you don't. Get a bike trailer. You'll save thousands, and be fitter.

2) Shop at Aldi + independent butchers/green grocers.

Those are the significant ones.

And one thing people never seem to thin of: Cash out credit card rewards for cash, not products.

Last edited:
Just dont use electricity at all??
Use candles for light, woodfire for heating, good ventilation for cooling.
cook on those camping stove or eat mostly raw!
Obviously no TV and fridge.
Use esky to store perishable goods for somtime (if any)
If you use gadgets, charge them at friends/public places

You probably was making fun of "frugality". But actually we lived this sort of life for 2-3 months. Wife joined me for the first time while I was studying. No centerlink or such for overseas students. Used to buy 5 kg bags of rice, carrot, potato and tomatoes. And small portions of meat. Didn't use fridge; hand washing the clothes most of the times. Being together for the first time, we were not wearing any clothes most of the time anyway. (DT, datto and DaveM are not supposed to reply to this part :) ) We were not spending much, but had lots of fun. Now can't imagine how we managed!

Last edited:
On Saturday I made a curry. I bought two kilos of beef mince at $3 a kilo (on special). I made meatballs, which I fried, then added curry paste, spices, onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, peas, tinned tomatoes, powdered coconut milk, lentils and barley. The pot was massive and fed family and friends. It is Tuesday and we had the last of it tonight. That big pot of food cost me no more than $10.

I didn't want to pay $20,000 to have curtains professionally made for our new house. So I bought fabric (pure silk) from Ebay for $250 and $100 postage from the US. I bought backing fabric from Ikea. Altogether I spent no more than $900 and saved myself more than $19,000.00 by making the curtains myself.

Hiya

My kids actually are my biggest expenses...for eg. last month alone i spent 6K on them :eek:

braces for 3 kids are 7K each but spread out over 1 and half years tho...music tuition $500 a month...extra tuition as son sits for HSC soon...$150 a week....school expenses appear and disappear like magic...petrol to drive them hither and wither hurts too:mad:

What to do? You can't bring up your kids with crooked teeth and no musical ability can you?:eek:

Me too.... spent the same for my girls (2) now they have perfect teeth, so I also now have braces, fortunately only the top, if they can have perfect teeth so can I, after all I am paying for it:) Sick of these girls bleeding me dry.

And property prices are going to fall by 40%!

Most panels come with a 25 year warranty, but even if they failed after 10 years, you'd be well ahead.
You assume that all the two bit companies that manufactured a lot of the cheap imports used will be around in 25 years

Here's an aussie site

http://frugalandthriving.com.au/

Here's a good post on the definition of frugal and cheap
Frugal

• Looking for deals and taking advantage of sales and promotions when you were already planning on purchasing something
  • Delaying pleasure and instant gratification to make a big purchase
  • Not making a point to tell friends and family every time you saved money
  • Not obsessed with brands
  • Does not sacrifice quality to buy something only because it is cheaper

Cheap

• Your cheapness affects the quality of life of others such as spouse or family
  • Your basic needs are of lesser quality
  • You never splurge a little when you have the money to spend
  • You will sacrifice quality to buy what is the cheapest

Thanks for the example spludgey. We just moved to the new PPOR, so not sure about the energy usage. 5kW should be enough for us. If we can get the money back (savings) in 5-6 years, that would be sufficient.

Most solar panels ROE results in them paying themselves off between 5-7 years on current installs, depending on FITs and how people use their power. Obviously smart meters are impacting this significantly, as the old expensive peak period (daylight) is when solar returns are the best and it's therefore most logical to run systems.

whilst I find this thread quite depressing, am curious to know what is the motivation for the frugality... money or environment? if money then its just a question of how far you can go without

whilst I find this thread quite depressing, am curious to know what is the motivation for the frugality... money or environment? if money then its just a question of how far you can go without

Ausprop, I wanted to know a few ideas, that's all. Both money and environment are not the motivations to me. It is about time. Finding some ways to cut costs will enable me to work less hours :) Each to their own.

It is not about a total frugal life, but about different ideas to find out better use for money. We were buying vege in a local shop for an year without knowing that Spudshed existed just a few suburbs away with cheap but far better stock.

Back