GF builders - Perth

where on earth did you get this from? apart from the shocking thermal properties of brick, the expense, the time to build it, the resource intensive manufacturing properties, cracking, difficulty of modification etc, yeh it is a great product.

That's not what the guy at midland brick said...

where on earth did you get this from? apart from the shocking thermal properties of brick, the expense, the time to build it, the resource intensive manufacturing properties, cracking, difficulty of modification etc, yeh it is a great product.

I use to think double brick was great... my parents place I grew up in was cool in summer and cold in winter (but i guess thats why we wore jumpers).

My PPR is double bring (built in the 1900's), and it is so cold! In winter and spring its colder inside than it is inside. In summer, its nice and cool... that is until the heatwave comes, at which point the air between the two layer of bricks heat up and stay warm (to a point where its cooler outside than it is inside).

The granny flat i've built which is a concrete slab with vinyl cladding (and wall insulation) does a much better job of maintaining a regular temperature!

I use to think double brick was great... my parents place I grew up in was cool in summer and cold in winter (but i guess thats why we wore jumpers).

My PPR is double bring (built in the 1900's), and it is so cold! In winter and spring its colder inside than it is inside. In summer, its nice and cool... that is until the heatwave comes, at which point the air between the two layer of bricks heat up and stay warm (to a point where its cooler outside than it is inside).

The granny flat i've built which is a concrete slab with vinyl cladding (and wall insulation) does a much better job of maintaining a regular temperature!

Bricks pretty much have poor R ratings. Now that houses here in Perth (and I assume GFs) require 6 star rating they require wall insulation between the double bricks (and roof insulation and other factors) to bring the dwelling to 6 stars.
Any modern house built to an appropriate standard - let's say 6 star as that is the Perth measurement - should perform better no matter how it is built, than a house which was built in the last 100 years.
I'm a big fan of reverse brick with plasterboard internal walls. It allows easy remodelling internally (something that is sooo hard to do in Perth) but still have enough thermal mass with one layer of brick.

Back