guitar pack

anyone know of a good "cheap" electric guitar pack - with amp?
i've rang guitar stores and feel overwhelmed with the information - some say that the fender squire is a good basic guitar whilst others say that it's tinny etc. i'm buying it as a gift.

How much do you want to spend?

What age is the guitar for?

Are you after new or second hand?

If buying Fender make sure it is either USA or Japan made and not Mexico. Also look for ones with either vintage or US pick ups. Some of the Japanese brands use a standard pick up and the quality is not the best.

Don't know anything about amps but you might want to pm member want2bewealthy as he may have knowledge in this area.

How much do you want to spend?

What age is the guitar for?

Are you after new or second hand?

If buying Fender make sure it is either USA or Japan made and not Mexico. Also look for ones with either vintage or US pick ups. Some of the Japanese brands use a standard pick up and the quality is not the best.

Don't know anything about amps but you might want to pm member want2bewealthy as he may have knowledge in this area.

thanks for your suggestions.. have pm want2bewealthy

I only know how to play a gramophone but I drink with some serious musos. If these guys own a guitar it sounds good. :)

I asked them about the Squire this arvo and they just said "Why not?" They even had a couple of them at Steve's Boxing Day Birthday Bash I'm told. (Among the Stratocasters and other such) As someone said, it is the pick-ups and the timber in the neck that matters and Fender would oversee their quality.

Sunfish,

Although Fender oversee the quality they have still allowed sub standard no brand pick ups to be used and make a very basic no brand guitar, that gets sold to unsuspecting buyers thinking they are getting Fender quality. Normally retails around $2-300 cheaper that ones with vintage or TX pickups. Would also add Texas specials as preferred pick ups also.

Can the person play a guitar at all? No point spending too much if they can't, as chances are they won't play with it for more than a few weeks unless they're really keen. And if they're really keen, they'll buy something better themselves when they get good enough to know what they want.

I think Ibanez make some reasonable cheaper guitars too.

GP

Agree with GP.

I've got an Ibanez /Peavy Amp pack (the cheapest you can buy), its 6 years old and still goes great. You shouldn't need any more than a 15watt amp unless you really want to p-off the neighbours :D

Another tip - if you crank up the pre gain and turn down the post gain, you get awesome distortion even with a cheap amp.

Another tip - if you crank up the pre gain and turn down the post gain, you get awesome distortion even with a cheap amp.

Isn't that what the beatles did with Revolution?

Doing this heavily "clips" the audio which converts sine waves to square waves thus introducing massive even harmonics.

Doing this heavily "clips" the audio which converts sine waves to square waves thus introducing massive even harmonics.

.....except doing it on a old fashioned valve amp just sounds so much nicer IMO than on a transistor..... :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Agree with GP.

I've got an Ibanez /Peavy Amp pack (the cheapest you can buy), its 6 years old and still goes great. You shouldn't need any more than a 15watt amp unless you really want to p-off the neighbours :D

Preamp gain, its everywhere these days, ewwww. . :p

.....except doing it on a old fashioned valve amp just sounds so much nicer IMO than on a transistor..... :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Even harmonic distortion, a softer style of clipping, tube amps are much more dynamic and warm but good ones are expensive and not so forgiving to amateur players so not for the beginner,

The Beatles were using VOX AC simple cct amps, the 50 and 100 were created for them for the small vocal PA's at the time to compete for volume, still one of the top 10 amps of all time.

Back