Halloween

Is it just me or is there a larger push for Halloween this year?

Stores full of halloween stuff, parties, school functions - all fancy dress/dress up - seems to be more than I can recall previously. Although if you were to go through Westlake, almost the whole suburb does a trick or treat.

While I know its "deemed" american, seems that its actually something that dates back over 2000 years - i.e.

http://www.history.com/content/halloween/real-story-of-halloween

Suppose we'll all have to go buy chocolates for the trick or treaters as it seems its on the move.

Never came across anybody trick or treating or doing Halloween until we moved up here. Apparently it is not only an American thing, but the British are into it in a huge way as well. There are quite a few pockets (okay loads of pockets) up here filled with people celebrating.

Not much happens where we live, so last year we drove the kids to one of the pockets where it does happen, and they had a blast! Couldnt' believe how much loot the kids got. Wish it was celebrated when I was a kid!

We can't wait for Saturday - Trick or Treat :D If people are participating (have treats) they leave their light on. Don't bother knocking if the light isn't on. Some people can get a bit gruff.

I have noticed that a lot more shops are carrying Halloween stuff this year too.

Sunshine

Halloween is retail driven and has no connection to our Australian culture that I'm aware of.

The retailers know that if they direct the consumer to what they should wear and what they should be doing (requires spending in both cases) most people will follow.

There must be very few followers of Halloween in my suburb as we've only ever had about 2 lots of children come to our door ever and one of my children has only once been invited to a Halloween party.

I think it is an unfortunate trend that we seem to have adapted from America, certainly was not around when I was a spring chicken. My kids have always wanted to go "trick or treating".

I have always been against it, and it is only the last few years that I let my kids go around. I have always given kids who knocked on the door fruit, I know meanie but it was all I had as I never prepared for the dam event. Last year went out and bought wrapped lollies and no kids knocked lol, must have caught on the lady who only gives fruit, don't go there.

There is a house near us that goes all out, has fake coffins on thier lawn, spider webs and other paraphenalia, does look impressive.

Have to say am glad we will be interstate this year and so will miss the constant knocking at the door.

My costume is ready

It's BIG in the area we live in (moved here three years ago) and the kids love it.

This year will be even bigger...........my daughter was born on Halloween and tomorrow her birthday party falls on the day......of course it's themed to the day ;) and then after the party there is trick or treating in the neighbouhood.

I never saw the point to it, however it brings the child community together in our locality and the children love it.......it's all fun :) .......And, that can only be a good thing.

My costume is ready, as I am the dispenser at our house :p

I am a hybrid b/w ghost and witchee-pooh, with some special hand attire.............a bit of a mongrel really :p........now, Deputy Commissioner, there's a cashflow thought. Then I receive the treats :D

i think it's abhorrent to celebrate halloween as a gimme.

american / australia / european - whatever. i couldn't give a rat's bum.

I hate Halloween too. It isnt done much in Adelaide thank god, but for the first time this year I have seen the traditional round Pumpkins on sale. I dunno, I guess I have problems with young kids knocking on strangers doors in costume and expecting sweets.

On the other hand a halloween party seems ok as it does provide a theme, I think it is just the door knocking/wanting sweets thing that I dont like.

Seems to be growing in popularity. As mentioned above, a lot of the stores seem to be pushing the theme.

Regards
Marty

My costume is ready, as I am the dispenser at our house :p

Apart from a truck load of loot (that lasted at least 4 months!) Hubby and I got more out of it than the kids. Some of the "tricks" were just spectacularly hilarious (okay sick sense of humour to see kids scared (in a good way of course:D)), brilliantly thought out and staged. Can't wait for tomorrow to see who can out trick who.

So, Player what sort of tricks do you have planned to scare the biggies and littlies???

sunshine

I guess it takes a spectre to raise the subject of Halloween.

Should a person on the internet for Halloween twit or tweet?

Apart from a truck load of loot (that lasted at least 4 months!) Hubby and I got more out of it than the kids. Some of the "tricks" were just spectacularly hilarious (okay sick sense of humour to see kids scared (in a good way of course:D)), brilliantly thought out and staged. Can't wait for tomorrow to see who can out trick who.

So, Player what sort of tricks do you have planned to scare the biggies and littlies???

sunshine

What is the Trick bit???
I love the dressup have a great party thing but I don't like the whole door knock, asking for handouts bit. I have only had oner person knock on my door.
But the area is getting younger families as all the oldies die off.

When I got home today I had a note in my letter box with a balloon.

It stated that parents would like to have a fun experience for their kids without inconveniencing those who do not wish to participate.

If you want to participate tie the balloon to your letterbox.
I thought that was lovely. Very thoughtful.

I still refuse to go and buy lollies but if I'm home I'll put the balloon out. I have lots of little gifts here I can give out. I go to Bali often and buy stuff to give the kids in my class.

Must say I just dont get it....I understand the fun of getting dressed up, and spooking each other and all that, but the idea of small kids knocking on strangers doors asking for lollies, just doesn't sit well with me (the old "never take lollies from strangers" messasge)...worse is that if you don't hand over the loot you get tricked. Last year we weren't even home and the front of the house and cars were covered in eggs and flour. Dried egg isn't much fun to get off. I realise it is probably the older unsupervised kids that do this...

My kids sure think we are them meanest parents in the world! They'll get over it! :D

Is it just me or is there a larger push for Halloween this year?

Stores full of halloween stuff, parties, school functions - all fancy dress/dress up - seems to be more than I can recall previously. Although if you were to go through Westlake, almost the whole suburb does a trick or treat.

While I know its "deemed" american, seems that its actually something that dates back over 2000 years - i.e.

http://www.history.com/content/halloween/real-story-of-halloween

Suppose we'll all have to go buy chocolates for the trick or treaters as it seems its on the move.

It's all part of our mindless and endless march towards becoming another State of the USA.

My son wants to go out trick or treating tomorrow night, because he did it a few times in the States.

I don't think it will catch on here in any big way though.

In the US, they had all the Halloween stuff on the shelves for about 2 months before the day - not here from what I've seen.

Just keep practicing saying "Happy Holidays" and "My Bad" kids. Make sure you throw in "24/7" and "whatever" from time to time to keep your hand in.

Oh yeah; play lots of doof doof and say "YO!" a lot and get a really bad attitude.

Back