Halloween

Hi all, glad this thread came up as I'm in two minds about Halloween. You know I don't mind the cute littlies who come up politely with a grown up watching over them a few steps behind. Any excuse for me to buy some Freddos.

It's the older kids/teenagers who rampage around yelling and screaming and bashing the door for lollies. They've ruined Christmas for us around here in our street and it seems Halloween would go the same way. Just another excuse to walk the streets swigging from a bottle and causing trouble.

With Halloween itself, it's good for the kids see the 'scary' stuff and it makes it all something to laugh at and brings it all out in the open IYKWIM. Brings up interesting questions like "What's a ghost?" etc.

The balloon idea is a good idea but all in all, I think the Halloween parties would be the way to go if the kids are the right age etc. I guess it really depends on your neighbourhood with the trick or treating.

it is big this year because it falls on a saturday - more parties etc. even clubs in the city are doing it so everyone is getting stuff.

I am having a halloween party as my housewarming in melb - lots of people excited about dressing up etc - should be good!

One time, many years ago, I had to go to the tax office to sort out some horrendous tax problems.

The day I went was October 31.

The staff were all dressed up- witches, ogres, and the like.

I thought it was quite apt.

Except that they didn't really need to dress up to scare me.

My nephew has his birthday on Halloween, so as part of his birthday festivities it is now a tradition for the kids all dress up and go trick or treating.

My sister-in-law is friendly with quite a few of her neighbours, so these are the houses that get the door knocks. They are not approaching strange houses. I like this way of doing it - the kids only need to go to a few houses to have the fun of dressing up and collecting loot.

In past years, my sis-in-law used to throw in a handful of goodies to top up the kid's bags, but now the neighbours get into the swing of it and are well prepared.

I don't like the idea of my children approaching stangers and asking for anything, but happy to let them go (fully supervised by adults) to homes that are pre-prepared and safe. It's just a bit of harmless fun to us.

:)
Caroline

Is it just me or is there a larger push for Halloween this year?

Stores full of halloween stuff, parties, school functions - all fancy dress/dress up - seems to be more than I can recall previously.

EXACTLY what I had noticed. I've mentioned it to friends and predict it will grow in popularity and become one of our 'customs' over the coming years.

While I know its "deemed" american, seems that its actually something that dates back over 2000 years - i.e.

http://www.history.com/content/halloween/real-story-of-halloween
I've always found it strange that USA does the Halloween 'thing' seeing as it's a Celtic (read Pagan tradition) and the Americans are so christian.

When I was at Rob's (AlmostBob's) on Halloween in 2002, and children came to the door, he shooed them away. Dumb American tradition !! was his response.
He is now 7 in Halloween years, and he loves dressing up here.
He loves the chainsaw and scaring the trick or treaters.:)

Dumb American tradition !

That's the way I look at it. This year I put a sign on the door stating that I do not do Trick or Treat, which was good. There were plenty of kids about, but none came & asked for lollies.

I think it is stupid. Kids roaming the streets by themselves (some very young), knocking on the doors of strangers. At our previous address they would still be roaming around unsupervised until 9.30-10.00PM.

I also don't understand it. I get it that the kids want lollies - the "treat". But what is the "trick". And how does it relate to the meaning of Halloween?

When I got home today I had a note in my letter box with a balloon.

It stated that parents would like to have a fun experience for their kids without inconveniencing those who do not wish to participate.

If you want to participate tie the balloon to your letterbox.
I thought that was lovely. Very thoughtful.
Now that's a good idea. We have a very friendly street; might try that next year with the neighbours that we know.
it is big this year because it falls on a saturday
The local craft shop clued up on this, and started preparing in April, apparently! Yesterday the place was bedlam; I reckon she would have made an absolute killing - and good luck to her! (She saved my unprepared tush. ;))
I don't like the idea of my children approaching stangers and asking for anything, but happy to let them go (fully supervised by adults) to homes that are pre-prepared and safe. It's just a bit of harmless fun to us.
Agreed. :)
This year I put a sign on the door stating that I do not do Trick or Treat, which was good.
And a Happy Halloween to you, too, skater! Do you dress up as Scrooge for Christmas, too? :D

I also don't understand it. I get it that the kids want lollies - the "treat". But what is the "trick". And how does it relate to the meaning of Halloween?

Saying "trick or treat" means I'll trick you (throw eggs at your house, bomb your grandma) unless you give me a treat. Your choice. Most people opt for giving out treats, rather than get 'tricked'.

yes there is a huge push for halloween this year and i dont like it. its just not safe like it was when i grew up with it some decades ago.

i agree with skater that i feel its unsafe for kids to knock on strange doors at all hours of the night.

one of my daughters must have thought i was a soft target. she brought friends for a sleepover and then told me they would go trick or treating. they were so excited.

i said NO.

FIRSTLY there was an electrical storm with alot of lightening happening when they wanted to go earlier in the night

and later was very late. i didnt want 14 year old girls wandering the streets at midnight?! and who wants their door knocked on at that time?

their attitude is it would be fine. its fine to go out when there is a storm and alot of lightening. its fine to go out late. it will be fine. they will call me every 10 minutes it will be fine.

I said no no no that i needed to speak to t he other parents that i didnt care if it was prearranged that its not safe and i dont give permission etc etc etc.

Gosh i hate being a parent and put in these situations!

I grew up with trick and treat years back when it was safer and instead of kindergarden we played at friends houses in the street.

But its not safe anymore and hasnt been for a while. its been decades since stories emerged of razor blades in apples etc.

i had bought them enough treats and i care about safety more than teenage excitement . they dont see around corners of what could happen next and i dont need to know about a few teenage girls who went missing because they went out at midnight from my home looking for halloween fun.

reminds me of the time one of my daughters climbed out of her window to go to new years eve fun!I cant wait for all my kids to grow up completely and me not have to deal with these situations.

some of the masks are quite scarey. you dont know if its a gang of troublesome youths approaching or just some lighthearted fun. i wish they wouldnt bring it here.

Francine.

And a Happy Halloween to you, too, skater! Do you dress up as Scrooge for Christmas, too? :D

I think that's a bit harsh.

I don't believe in allowing kids to go knock on the doors of strangers. Not too bad if an adult is supervising, but I see tonnes of kids totally UNSUPERVISED. I don't support it, not because I'm mean, but because it is just a stupid American custom that is dangerous and stupid. How easy would it be for a peaodphile to abduct a kid while out on Halloween?

I agree with you Skater. I would not let my children go unsupervised.

However, I had my first Halloween this year.

Like quite a few here, I would say it's an American tradition etc.

Until my 11 yr old told me he simply had to do it, his new "girlfriend" was trick or treating with her friends and nearly EVERYONE was doing it!

So I had a little think about it and changed my attitude for the happiness of my child.

From a child's point of view:

How much fun would it be to dress up as a scarey character and walk around your neighborhood streets knocking on the doors of strangers? How much fun!:D

I had two groups. One of 5 girls and the other of 6 boys. I pushed the baby.

I was extremely suprised at how many children were out in the streets we went to. These streets were full of houses who's parents I knew had children.
There would have been at least 15- 20 groups walking around. The spirit was very festive and all the kids were laughing seeing their friends all dressed up.

There were quite a few houses in these streets that had decorated and had signs out for Halloween.

My rules were:

- Always say thank-you and Happy Halloween whether you receive or not.
- Pick houses that have toys outside, basketball hoops, and that look like someone is home.
- Knock once and leave if the person inside does not want to come to the door.
- Never accept money. (One lovely lady gave them $15)

We all had the best fun and I plan to do it again next year.

Regards JO

I think that's a bit harsh.

I don't believe in allowing kids to go knock on the doors of strangers. Not too bad if an adult is supervising, but I see tonnes of kids totally UNSUPERVISED. I don't support it, not because I'm mean, but because it is just a stupid American custom that is dangerous and stupid. How easy would it be for a peaodphile to abduct a kid while out on Halloween?

I agree with most of this however I think the biggest problem would be unruly unsupervised children and the pranks they play.

My elderly widow mother had my 11yo sleep over last night who told me she had a couple of girls about 16yo knock to trick or treat.

My mother never opens her security door to any strangers especially at night and she doesn't know what Halloween is so obviously said no to giving anything.

My son said these girls started imitating her accent and continued to talk to her for the amusement factor. His words were 'they weren't very nice'.

So no major issue really but some people aren't scrooges rather they don't like opening their door at night to people they don't know.

That's a shame, weg.

I didn't think about that. There are always the minority that ruin it for the majority.:eek:

Regards JO

Back