Horror Tenant

agreed this is assault

get a restraining order from the police

tell them ur a scared LOL

are there any other witnesses

get them to support you and provide evidence

then get ur PM to issue her 60 day eviction before the 3 months is up so she goes on the day the lease is up

I have plenty of witnesses. She doesn't only abuse me, but my neighbours too.

Although, she has been very quiet since one of my neighbours, a youngish man, confronted her after her last drunken tantrum and warned her off.
Not at my instigation, but he was disturbed about someone threatening violence on a woman of his mother's age.
As you would guess, she backed down completely and said ' it was a misunderstanding'.
More to come. I am sure.

As others have said, I would give her notice ASAP, ask your property manager when is the soonest you can get her out. Seeing as she is a serial nusiance with several drunken abuse episodes, I think your neighbours would be glad to see her go as well.

Make sure your property manager is aware that you need a decent person next time, considering you are living next door.

Actually if your property manager is not concerned about the abuse she has given you, may I suggest you get the PM's after hours number and call him/her every time this woman goes off the deep end DAY OR NIGHT.

May make them more proactive about fixing your problem if they get phone calls about the tenant THEY put in your property. Dont forget, YOU are paying the PM to manage the property.

If they have put the tenant from hell in your property, I would become the Land Lady from hell (with the agent). Dont worry about upsetting them, their are plenty of RE agents in Port Stephens.

Keeping Tenants "happy".....however ill defined that is, seems to be the game in town lately.QUOTE]

Not a game at all Dazz, purely common sense mate.

In all my years as a landlord of a number of properties, I've found that the happier the tenant, the longer they stay and the better they look after the property. This translates into healthier returns and higher capital growth. Courtesy and respect towards tenants is not only decent behaviour - it actually results in higher performing investments.

I do have a tenant that tends to bombard me with requests for improvements to the property as if they are the owner e.g. new insulation, tinted windows, excessive blinds. I always remain polite and, after considering each request on its merits, accept or decline each one and explain my reasons. The tenant is always grateful for the consideration and they were even happy to pay for a green recycling bin for their use at the property - to help them look after my garden!

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said, I would give her notice ASAP, ask your property manager when is the soonest you can get her out. Seeing as she is a serial nusiance with several drunken abuse episodes, I think your neighbours would be glad to see her go as well.

Make sure your property manager is aware that you need a decent person next time, considering you are living next door.

Actually if your property manager is not concerned about the abuse she has given you, may I suggest you get the PM's after hours number and call him/her every time this woman goes off the deep end DAY OR NIGHT.

May make them more proactive about fixing your problem if they get phone calls about the tenant THEY put in your property. Dont forget, YOU are paying the PM to manage the property.

If they have put the tenant from hell in your property, I would become the Land Lady from hell (with the agent).
Dont worry about upsetting them, their are plenty of RE agents in Port Stephens.

Has anyone actually seriously bothered ? Rather than just move to someone else ?

Keeping Tenants "happy".....however ill defined that is, seems to be the game in town lately.QUOTE]

Not a game at all Dazz, purely common sense mate.

In all my years as a landlord of a number of properties, I've found that the happier the tenant, the longer they stay and the better they look after the property. This translates into healthier returns and higher capital growth. Courtesy and respect towards tenants is not only decent behaviour - it actually results in higher performing investments.

I do have a tenant that tends to bombard me with requests for improvements to the property as if they are the owner e.g. new insulation, tinted windows, excessive blinds. I always remain polite and, after considering each request on its merits, accept or decline each one and explain my reasons. The tenant is always grateful for the consideration and they were even happy to pay for a green recycling bin for their use at the property - to help them look after my garden!

kate, how composed and polite would you be after one of your said tenants threatened / abused you over a no request ? common sense tells you you'd answer with common sense and not use a sledgehammer to drive home the word no when not needed, but "fair shake of sauce bottle" you dont think there's anything over the top here that needs to be addressed ?

In all my years as a landlord of a number of properties, I've found that the happier the tenant, the longer they stay and the better they look after the property.

I could agree with that statement no problem at all. If I was one of your Tenants and you bent and buckled and give in to every one of my petty requests that cost you thousands in cashflow over the years....well I'd be hanging onto you as a Landlord for sure.

This translates into healthier returns and higher capital growth.

Whoa back.....that's the bit I cannot agree with. I don't see that link at all. A whingy tenant who has the landlord wrapped around their little finger, via the powerful RTA on their side and the constant phone call harassment somehow makes the Land more valuable and the rent go through the roof....nope, cannot buy that one Kate.

Courtesy and respect towards tenants is not only decent behaviour - it actually results in higher performing investments.

Indeed it is decent behaviour. I don't buy your "actually". You haven't established that link at all.

Maybe you're just a way better Landlord than me.

Love to see some numbers after "all your years". If this method you espouse really does do wonders, and you've been applying it for donkeys, your portfolio and cashflows must be truly stupendous.

Alarm bells are ringing for me however, cos if your method really was just flinging off massive amounts of cashflow and equity, I don't reckon you'd be phaffing about trying to flog this software thing. Could be wrong though. :)

Whoa back.....that's the bit I cannot agree with. I don't see that link at all. A whingy tenant who has the landlord wrapped around their little finger, via the powerful RTA on their side and the constant phone call harassment somehow makes the Land more valuable and the rent go through the roof....nope, cannot buy that one Kate.

OMG, I'm actually agreeing with Dazz! :eek:

You don't have to pander to every little whim to have a happy long term tenant. I have several. I push the rents up constantly. I never do improvements just because a tenant wants something, although happy to do extra if it will give me extra ongoing rent.

I keep my part of the bargain by keeping well maintained properties and a PM that will chase those who don't do the right thing by me. If a tenant wants to stay in an area and the home is suitable for their needs they are not going to go to the expense and inconvenience of moving just because you don't give them a gift at Christmas or a rent rise to market rates.

Let's not get carried away - the front door doesn;t lock, I'd replace or fix it, but if the shade of green is wrong...........

Last edited:
Report the tenant to the police and apply for a restraining order. The conditions can be set as to she is not allowed to communicate with you and must contact the pm for any problems. Advise the pm to issue notice of eviction on the grounds of harassment etc. Obtain statements from neighbors who would be interested in seeing her go and give them to the police and your pm.

Under no circumstances let anyone threaten or harass you without reporting it.

If they have put the tenant from hell in your property, I would become the Land Lady from hell (with the agent). Dont worry about upsetting them, their are plenty of RE agents in Port Stephens.

Erm..............did I mention where my property was?

How do you know that?

Jenny...your location in your profile says Port Stephens.....

I am sympathetic to your dilemma and suggest a stronger course of action if this continues....no need to cop abuse from anyone. Good luck I hope you can inform us of a better outcome soon.

+1 on:
  • get proof of abuse (physical record is better)
  • get insurance on both your place and IP
  • end the lease ASAP
  • warn the police
  • tell PM to wear flame suit (doesn't hurt if you get one too) :D

I'd understand if tenant being just hurling abuse when she feels wronged (still within acceptable norm). However, she crossed the line with threatening to burn - that's just (potentially) criminal.

Even if you manage to remove her, be vigilant in case of grudge. And ensure that you review your next tenant carefully.

Am I the only one who thinks that the fencers should be responsible?

Erm..............did I mention where my property was?

How do you know that?

Its at the top of all your posts.:D If you have a look at this post of mine, you'll see that I have put Newcastle as my location, actually I should put North of Newcastle or probably Port Stephens as well!

Relax, Port Stephens is a huge geographical area, although I could probably guess whereabouts you are, only because I live in Port Stephens as well, have lots family there (my family roots go way back in the nelson Bay area), and spent my childhood school holidays running around the place barefoot.

Like I said, there are plenty of RE agents in the area. I would interview a few and go with the one who understands your need for safety with a tenant is of utmost importance.
At any rate, it sounds like you have some good community spirited people around you who are watching out for you.

I could agree with that statement no problem at all. If I was one of your Tenants and you bent and buckled and give in to every one of my petty requests that cost you thousands in cashflow over the years....well I'd be hanging onto you as a Landlord for sure.

Indeed it is decent behaviour. I don't buy your "actually". You haven't established that link at all.

Maybe you're just a way better Landlord than me.

Love to see some numbers after "all your years". If this method you espouse really does do wonders, and you've been applying it for donkeys, your portfolio and cashflows must be truly stupendous.

Alarm bells are ringing for me however, cos if your method really was just flinging off massive amounts of cashflow and equity, I don't reckon you'd be phaffing about trying to flog this software thing. Could be wrong though. :)

I'm on a loan package called the "Nice Guy premium goldstar package" offered by Macquarie. Not advertised and they will deny its existence if you ask about it.

By being a nice guy and doing a mandatory 1 act of random kindness a week my money is half a point cheaper! Saved me thousands over the years:cool:

+1 on:
  • get proof of abuse (physical record is better)
  • get insurance on both your place and IP
  • end the lease ASAP
  • warn the police
  • tell PM to wear flame suit (doesn't hurt if you get one too) :D

I'd understand if tenant being just hurling abuse when she feels wronged (still within acceptable norm). However, she crossed the line with threatening to burn - that's just (potentially) criminal.

Even if you manage to remove her, be vigilant in case of grudge. And ensure that you review your next tenant carefully.

Am I the only one who thinks that the fencers should be responsible?[/QUOTE]

No, the fencers just did what they had to do. The 'garden' was ten rocks around three half dead cuttings that she had planted but never watered. I wouldn't blame the fencers for not knowing it was a garden, but they had to dig to make footings for the fence. Mind you, it was on my side of the duplex, anyway. The back of the property is only a passage about a metre and a half wide. It gets no sun or light and is not great garden material. There is no division between the duplexes in this back area.We only have front entrances.

Now, this tenant is four weeks behind in her rent. The PM says we will have to take her to a tribunial to be rid of her.

Is that correct? She has harrassed and tried to intimidate me and now she is not paying, we still have to have a tribunial to evict her? Her lease ends in one month and the pm is telling me if she refuses to vacate, we have to take her to a tribunial?

Whatever happened to the sherrif, who could bring the locksmith with him?

We are not going to renew her lease, but the PM is afraid that she will just refuse to vacate. It is obvious to me that she knows we will not offer another lease and she has no intention of paying for the last month and the next month.

I think the PM is just a bit soft and afraid of confrontation with this woman who is very, very aggressive.

I am frightened of her also, but I am not being paid to manage the property and the tenant.

Of course, it is not her $2000 at stake.

Now, this tenant is four weeks behind in her rent. The PM says we will have to take her to a tribunial to be rid of her.
Is that correct? She has harrassed and tried to intimidate me and now she is not paying, we still have to have a tribunial to evict her? Her lease ends in one month and the pm is telling me if she refuses to vacate, we have to take her to a tribunial?
Whatever happened to the sherrif, who could bring the locksmith with him?
Given that she is located next door could you perhaps try and get a restraining order based on the harassment? Not sure the courts would allow it considering your close living proximity....but if they did it would then be easy to call the police when she tries to come home as she would be breaking the order!

Goodluck, it sounds like a really horrible situation to be in.

If it was me personally I would be organising a couple of bikies to pay the tenant a visit if they refused to vacate.

Back