Horror Tenant

Here we have the ability to remove a tenant who shows aggression and is a danger. Ask for an emergency hearing.Call the cops if need to.

Not sure about NSW but here in Vic, the minute she was 14 days late a hearing should have been applied for through vcat (I know thats different in nsw).
Get your pm onto this asap.

I know here even with tribunal hearings it can take a while to actually get them out.
Dont wait until the end of her lease before you start, do it now. Have you severed notice to vacate at the end of the lease???
A problem tenant will be a problem until they are no longer your tenant, so the sooner you get her out the better.

She has been given an eviction notice for non payment of rent (five weeks owing now), and has rung the PM with a list of maintenance grievances as an excuse why the rent has not been paid. She had not complained to the PM about these issues before, and says she didn't because she gets abused by me, if she does!

Which is a blatant lie. She has had plumbing and electrical repairs done in the past, which were all handled by the PM, and I didn't even know about until I was informed the work had been carried out.

She has rung the PM with a list of maintenance grievances as an excuse why the rent has not been paid.

This behaviour is strictly against the RTA.....but of course, when dealing with complete amateurs like most Tenants, they also never bother to read the rules of the game and simply make it up as the go along, "deciding" to do whatever suits them and wait for the consequences....which are usually nil, so get away with it.

Hook in JennyP. With her 5 weeks behind in rent already, with only 4 weeks Bond to fall back on, your pooch is screwed as normal, and you haven't got her out yet.

Fear not JennyP, you ain't Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

I reckon your stress levels might be down a bit if you were holding 6 months of the Tenants cash, rather than some nebulous Govt body holding 1 month of cash.

Unfortunately the law is on her side, not yours.

Last night, full of grog, she came out on her balcony, which is so close I can hear every word she is saying, and that was her intention, she was stamping around, punching the air and saying "The winner, the winner, the protected tenant".

Can that happen without us knowing or is she taking the ****?

Have you been to the tribunal yet? I'd be following the absolute letter of the law (and really checking up on the PM too). But from other stories here, even following the letter of the law doesn't mean you can evict someone you really want out. Get lots of stuff in writing while she's still on the lease.

My tenants are allegedly dealing drugs and generally being pests but they pay rent and I live 35km away, so I just get hearsay as noone tells me directly. Funny thing is, my tenant is the 4'5" old lady ... but I do have the advantage of being very pregnant and usually have a very small person with a massive froth of golden curls following me around so they are nice to me. Yes, the toddler comes to the rental property with us. PMs are expensive and ineffective so why not?

Got any large, imposing looking relatives? :D

nope, no tribunal yet. I think my PM is not very experienced at that.

She did let her get five weeks behind in the rent without even telling us. We only knew of her rent arrears when we got the statement at the end of th month (no rent), although she was fully aware of the threatening behaviour to me.

She has been given her marching orders and has only one week on that, but there is no sign of moving.

Can I enter the house when her time is up or is it still 'her house'?

Why is there still one week left on the contract for the PM? You should have broken it immediately as they did not perform their duties as a PM. You need to get termination letters out and a date for tribunal as a first priorty. The very minute a tenant is 14 days in arrears you start proceedings. I hope you've got Landlords Insurance.

nope, no tribunal yet. I think my PM is not very experienced at that.

She did let her get five weeks behind in the rent without even telling us. We only knew of her rent arrears when we got the statement at the end of th month (no rent), although she was fully aware of the threatening behaviour to me.

She has been given her marching orders and has only one week on that, but there is no sign of moving.
Can I enter the house when her time is up or is it still 'her house'?

No, my tenant has been given two weeks notice to vacate (one week ago) and shows no signs of moving. If you are in the middle of a drama like this, can you sack your pm? She has the history.

No, my tenant has been given two weeks notice to vacate (one week ago) and shows no signs of moving. If you are in the middle of a drama like this, can you sack your pm? She has the history.

You can sack your PM any time you want. I would go looking for a new PM and tell them exactly what is going on. You need have faith that your new PM can do the work you expect of them.

As for the tenant, even when everything is done on time, it will still take a while to remove a bad one. Your problem is, that if the tenant won't go willingly, it will take you more time than it should because your PM didn't start the process as soon as they should.

What happens if she still refuses to leave, even after a tribunal rules against her?

She has stated that she is not leaving, whomever tells her to.

Can she be physically removed? And what happens to her stuff?

As you can tell..........I am new at this.

What happens if she still refuses to leave, even after a tribunal rules against her?

She has stated that she is not leaving, whomever tells her to.

Can she be physically removed? And what happens to her stuff?

As you can tell..........I am new at this.

Yes. she will be removed by the sheriff.
It will cost you money, and then you will need to pack up and store her belongings.
All expensive..but part of the game of landlord.
Then hold all her belongings until she pays for lost rent,storage,cleaning, etc.
After the correct amount of time has lapsed you can sell the items to recoup some of your losses.

Yes. she will be removed by the sheriff.
It will cost you money, and then you will need to pack up and store her belongings.
All expensive..but part of the game of landlord.
Then hold all her belongings until she pays for lost rent,storage,cleaning, etc.
After the correct amount of time has lapsed you can sell the items to recoup some of your losses.

Yes, this is correct. You have to go to tribunal a couple of times before you get this order though, so don't be fooled into thinking it is quick and easy. Once the order comes, then you have to book the sheriff and somethimes this can take a few days, or if busy a couple of weeks.

Of course, if you have a restraining order then they may actually prioritise this for you. If she has children living with her, then it could be a longer process as the tribunal often gives extra time when children are involved.

I have only had to have the sheriff come to change locks once, so take heart, not many stay long enough for this to happen. The last one I had to evict left just short of the sheriff stage.

Yes, this is correct. You have to go to tribunal a couple of times before you get this order though, so don't be fooled into thinking it is quick and easy. Once the order comes, then you have to book the sheriff and somethimes this can take a few days, or if busy a couple of weeks.

Of course, if you have a restraining order then they may actually prioritise this for you. If she has children living with her, then it could be a longer process as the tribunal often gives extra time when children are involved.

I have only had to have the sheriff come to change locks once, so take heart, not many stay long enough for this to happen. The last one I had to evict left just short of the sheriff stage.

She has no children living with her but she has one of three who visits her. She lost custody of her children long ago, but she has quite recentlu been given visitation rights to her youngest child.

She has only one half an hour ago, been out on the balcony, screaming at me that she isn't going anywhere and has secured protected tenants status.

Is that possible?

She seems to have forgotten one week ago she was screaming to me that she had secured squatter's rights.

Do I have to put up with this?

wow, Jenny she sounds like a real nutter.

Have to make this quick as Im just finishing work and have to get home.

I take it your working on this daily to evict her and on the PMs back daily as well? If not give it your full attention cause now its over 4 weeks, you'll be pushing s#**t up hill to get any more money than the 4 weeks bond.

Not knowing you, I dont know how forth right you are so excuse me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be a little afraid to assert yourself. This is YOUR property, not the tenants and not the PMs. Dont ley anyone fob you off. You need action NOW on this. If you have trouble asserting yourself, have you got a large assertive male relative or friend that can go with you to the PM to make sure they do something now?

I'd even be speaking to the agency owner to let them know the PM isnt doing their job.

Oh and I'd make sure all your insurances are up to date ASAP.

Have to go

Well, no.........I am not as assertive as I once was. I am sixty three years old and this woman does intimidate me, as she means to and knows she can.

Does she ever go out ?

Can you organise to pack all her things while she's out, and put a few peices of your own furniture in there to change things. Also change the locks.

Get someone big and intimidating to stay in till she gets home. When she goes to open the front door, open it for her and act like he lives ther, question who she is and what she wants and say sorry lady i dont know what yure talking about you must have the wrong house.

Back