Hot enough for ya???11

I've been on the Gold Coast for a week. Not too bad here, but I'm at Broadbeach, 50 metres from the beach and 20 floors up. It's always nice at that level, however I'm sure it would be a bit sticky and hot at ground level, a few ks inland surrounded by suburbia.

Probably got to about 30, but compared to the dry inland heat I'm used to, 30 degrees coastal feels like about 35 degrees inland.

See ya's.

We are near you TC. Lovely breeze blowing off the water now. No aircon required, although it was on during the day from time to time. Our pool needs ice..........pool temp at 32 C is too hot :cool:

Not bad here in the bush, this year it's probably more like a normal summer than the last 6 years which have been cooler than usual.

:

Yeah, last summer was really weird how it never once got hot.

I had a new air conditioner in and never turned it on cooling. Also, if it wasn't for the blanket on the pool, it wouldn't have got warm enough for me to get in.

See ya's.

We was thinking of you Dazz ... especially as we had it here to - and I was painting in it. Bailed the painting when it hit 43

I was supposed to be painting today in a home with no air-con. Gave that up as a bad joke and came home. Even though we have ducted air, I was still sweating buckets.

The temp was recorded as 47 at one of the Clubs, with a blurb telling people how cool it was inside.

Temp guage here reckons its 43. Not sure what it is officially.
It's now 9.30pm and it doesn't feel like it's dropped.

We haven't installed aircon in our new PPOR which is an old two story brick/weatherboard home from the early 60s. It's cooler under the carport then in the house.

On the plus side, Dickson pool is just down the road :)

Cheers

Jamie

In the meantime, I have a daughter in Calgary in Canada. Last week the range for the day was -17C to -27C.

An she used to complain about Canberra winters.

Currently in the Gateway Building in Circular Quay freezing my xxxx's off oblivious to the heat outside.

In 30 mins will board a southbound train which better have air cond.

Cheers all

You should have some pretty spectacular views depending on the floor you're on :)

H Y'all

As most of Australia bakes..... I thought those elsewhere would be interested to know Sydney has just set a new record of heat at an official 45.8 beating the previous record of 45.3 degrees set in January 1939.

What are the rest of your doing!

regards

Peter 14.7
In SYD on business.
At this time yesterday I was at work and the temp at approx 26. The day before was 40.

I feel for the fire fighters around the places right now.

We seem to only get one real hot day in a row down here these days - 35+ day, with the almost predictable-to-the-hour southwesterly cool change in the arvo, followed by a few days of mild. :mad:

Got a phone call from dad this morning. I'm the fire captain of our local RFS brigade. But since I'm on hols, he's in charge of the cat 1 truck. He's 72.

So he gets a phone call at 6 pm yesterday from fire control, and with the temp at 40 degrees, that there's a fire right on the top of the Liverpool range, where a little gravel road crosses over, heading to Merriwa. He gets 3 other volunteers [just local farmers] together and races up.

Was steep to overhanging country. Had to join hoses together to reach, as the truck had to stay on the gravel road. I asked was it lightening? Nah, it was a cigarete butt thown from a car window. About 5 other crews and trucks turned up in the end. Some younger members stayed till after midnight to keep an eye on things.

If this fire had of got going it might have been similar to the Coonabarabran fire. It would have got into inassesable forest range country with no chance of being put out.

However it is lightly raining this morning, so should be OK.

See ya's.

Got a phone call from dad this morning. I'm the fire captain of our local RFS brigade. But since I'm on hols, he's in charge of the cat 1 truck. He's 72.

So he gets a phone call at 6 pm yesterday from fire control, and with the temp at 40 degrees, that there's a fire right on the top of the Liverpool range, where a little gravel road crosses over, heading to Merriwa. He gets 3 other volunteers [just local farmers] together and races up.

Was steep to overhanging country. Had to join hoses together to reach, as the truck had to stay on the gravel road. I asked was it lightening? Nah, it was a cigarete butt thown from a car window. About 5 other crews and trucks turned up in the end. Some younger members stayed till after midnight to keep an eye on things.

If this fire had of got going it might have been similar to the Coonabarabran fire. It would have got into inassesable forest range country with no chance of being put out.

However it is lightly raining this morning, so should be OK.

See ya's.

Well, turned out it was an arsonist. There were two more fires lit between the top of the Liverpool range and merriwa, along side the road, all in quick succession. Only thing that stopped a disaster was a lack of wind, and the 5 to 10 mills of rain this morning.

Gee's some people have got no brains.

See ya's.

Last edited:
In the meantime, I have a daughter in Calgary in Canada. Last week the range for the day was -17C to -27C.

An she used to complain about Canberra winters.

But it's a 'dry cold' right :)

A week or so ago, they forecast Tennant Creek, NT to be 49cel. (for today)
Thankfully they changed that soon after.
We are just starting to get some rain here and there, so hopefully the fires will stay away.

I was carting ashblock wall remnants outside into a trailer from a wall hubby knocked down this morning. Then shovelling the smaller bits and dust into buckets to carry out. I was sweating buckets, dirty and filthy.

Got home, jumped half clothed into the pool. Hubby jumped in sans clothing, much to the consternation of the two sons who needed to avert their eyes. Now in the air-conditioning. Hubby has gone back for some more renovation fun.

I don't know how people work in this heat, especially those required to wear overalls or heavy uniforms (like firemen). Hubby spent several years working in the mines in Mt Isa and thinks today is just "about right". He's bloody mad.

Take my hat off to your dad! And send him our gratitude ...

Both my neighbours are 15 year CFA veterans and crew leaders.

The Fire Fighters are insulted by soft penalties for fire lighters. It should be treated as attempted homicide. Where I love in Macedon Ranges was burn to the ground in Ash Wednesday 1983. People here are still scared emotionally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday_fires

A fire is truely terrifying. 2 weeks before Black Saturday a threatening one started 5km from our town at a mates farm. We got back from Melbourne to Chaos. Trucks going everywhere, smoke everywhere, copters, scary stuff.

Worst of all the smoke was so thick 10 trucks where parked the other side unsafe to drive further. My mate could see them but not them him, in the end he had to tractor a line through his crop and fences to stop it getting the house. Only just stopped it. We had thier kids for on terriffying night.

Peter

Back