How / Where is the best place to sell a boat

Like a 16 ft fibreglass runabout that has an oldish outboard and is probably a couple of grand?

Local rag or trading post.

or ridiculously expensive wake board boat or similar that needs a cut and polish and a new prop, then somewhere like boat point or trade a boat

Dave

Hi Invstr,

Maybe you should supply a few more details, ie $, what it is, motor etc etc as someone on this forum may be interested.
Im still a fan of the trading post and these days you get pix on their website etc and I believe quite a good deal.
I recently sold my 15 footer on the TP and it worked a treat.

Good luck
Sling

Here's a photo. I know nothing about boats. It was something like an early inheretence..... I think twobobsworth may have a point!!

Attachments

• Picture 134.jpg
    Picture 134.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 110
Here's a photo. I know nothing about boats. It was something like an early inheretence..... I think twobobsworth may have a point!!

That is a bit rough!....'needs some work' is an understatement.

Trading Post, there's always people looking for fixer uppers.

Dont people that frequent boat ramps already have boats?:confused:

That is a bit rough!....'needs some work' is an understatement.

Trading Post, there's always people looking for fixer uppers.

Dont people that frequent boat ramps already have boats?:confused:

I was actually thinking of parking it and leaving it there....

The best boat to have is someone elses!

I wouldn't feel too comfortable hooking your SS Minnow up to my car. The wheel bearings are probably seized and I doubt the lights on the trailer work. Is it registered?

Take a few more pics and whack it on ebay. Do a quirky ad, start it at $0.99 and let it go.

Speaking of boats, we had ours stolen a few weeks ago from the front of our house, had the cheque from NRMA 3 weeks later so wasn't such a big drama, well except for my brother who found out mum isn't going to replace the boat till she gets a new place with a place to safely store it.

put it on the kerb with a sign on it. Or a sign at a local shop, or shop in a boating area.

My dad is in the market for an old timber sailboat - rougher the better.. he wants to do it up! And he trawls the notice boards at all the shops near where i live (a riverside community). Suprising how many we have found.. just nothing quite suitable yet.

He also put a sign up in his home town library (country NSW - nowhere near water) wanting to swap a ride on lawn mower (i think) for a doer upper boat... he got about 6 calls!

put it on the kerb with a sign on it.
This is amusing - this whole thread is amusing. For one reason.

I live rather a long way inland. Not on a main highway. Nowhere near a river, lake, creek, or other watercourse large enough for a boat. This is as far north as you can get and call it farmland and still keep a straight face - its practically the desert.

There's a boat parked on the kerb opposite my house with a for sale sign on it ($500, if the OP wants pricing tips)

So I saw this thread and immediately thought of the WORST place to sell a boat.

That or the guy opposite my house knows something I don't, because the BOM currently has a flood watch warning up for this area ... but I don't see any animals in pairs around, and he's *selling* the boat not buying them ...

It just so happens....

on that note..... does any one have an old timber sail boat???:D

How Australia's first Dragon sound? I'm looking to sell Platypus DKA1 as we don't use her enough now that we have a young family.

Slipped and anti-fouled last month. New rigging in 2005. Some new ribs in 2006. A little timber work necessary on the starboard bow toerail where timber is thin.

PM me.

How Australia's first Dragon sound? I'm looking to sell Platypus DKA1 as we don't use her enough now that we have a young family.
What a shame!! :(

Ah well, maybe use the proceeds to buy a nice fat fibreglass weekender so you can take the family out on the water... That's our plan anyway! :)

Cheers,
Michael

I wouldn't feel too comfortable hooking your SS Minnow up to my car. The wheel bearings are probably seized and I doubt the lights on the trailer work. Is it registered?

tHANKS for reminding me...The trailer is cr*p too, unregistered, totally gone!

put it on the kerb with a sign on it. Or a sign at a local shop, or shop in a boating area.

In my suburb there's about 2 boats per street so it's probably not a bad idea to put a sign up as well as advertising by other means. With the trailer not working it will be a lot harder though. I remember reading on someone elses post they got fined for having there boat on the kerb but where it is you can see it from the street. (and googlearth street pics!!)

Thanks everyone for contributing, I've got a few idea's now as to what info I need to provide. I'll look into the other sites/papers also.

Slipped and anti-fouled last month. New rigging in 2005. Some new ribs in 2006. A little timber work necessary on the starboard bow toerail where timber is thin.

PM me.

Looks awesome.. but in way too good condition for what he is after. He is thinking completely delapitated...

Back