If the worm is right....Howard is on life support...

After watching the debate the one thing that struck me about the the worm, is when both leaders were saying the same thing, the response was far more positive for Kevin Rudd than for John Howard.

What was people's thoughts on the debate.....?

I think "Lu Ke Wen" (guess who this is? ;)) has just put a huge dent on Coalitions' armours.. All Johnny could mumble about was economics and employment, which was completely dissected by Kevin with his global perspective.

I was watching from the start the one thing i noticed that the worm started moving before either party had spoken.

Rudds worm was 3 points towards positive before he finished saying his first word

and in howards case 2 points below the line before he said his first word.

Over the course though ignoring the worm both parties didn't really say anything that hadn't been already said

I was watching from the start the one thing i noticed that the worm started moving before either party had spoken.

Rudds worm was 3 points towards positive before he finished saying his first word

and in howards case 2 points below the line before he said his first word.

Over the course though ignoring the worm both parties didn't really say anything that hadn't been already said

Spot on. Irrespective of what people may think about the specific policies, who won, best tie(yes, they mentioned this on Sky News!), it seems (if the worm is right) as if people's thoughts about John Howard are entrenched and more negative than positive. If people have switched off you, then bit difficult to sell your message. They are really listening to Rudd's alternative IMO

I found myself squirming at how bad John Howard was at times.. he waffled a lot and seems to have no appreciation for what people really think about his Governments performance over the last few years.

And then I listened to Kevin.. smooth, passionate, believable.. masterful performance.

I'm going to sleep a little easier tonight :) I hope the TV ratings show a huge audience..

Interesting that Howard lost his last debates with Beasley and Latham by a similar margin.

I think that the worm is too big a distraction and shouldn't be used again. It seems to become the star of the show.

G'day all,

What surprised me was that John Howard didn't respond to KR's comment about "5 Interest rate increases in the last 3 years". The OBVIOUS comment was that these increases followed DECREASES that had happened previously.

FYI, in Dec 94, the RBA rate was 7.5%
in Jul 96, the RBA rate was 7.00% (didn't Howard come in after that?)
Today, the RBA rate is 6.5% (despite the last "5 increases")

I think JH dropped the ball on that one. And, on radio, KR came across better - but maybe it follows that we already KNOW JH - thus were looking for other "new" input.

Anyway, interesting - let's see what the next 5 weeks turn up....

Regards,

Nine feed cut after worm rears head
The Nine Network's decision to run the "worm" with the televised debate between John Howard and Kevin Rudd live to air has resulted in the network's live-to-air feed being cut.

The government stipulated that the live broadcast of the debate from the Great Hall in Parliament House be broadcast "clean", without the judgement of the controversial worm, which measures the response of a studio audience.

Nine defied this direction, screening the worm over the live feed on its 60 Minutes broadcast.

One thing that stood out was the difference in priorities on education:

Rudd's focus is on the future with preparation for post resources boom, by upskilling the next generation through various technological initiatives benefiting children from pre-school to high school age

Howard's focus is on the past with compulsory 'history' lessons for years 9 & 10 and more funding (which is currently inadequate) to improve literacy & numeracy

As a student or a parent which focus would you choose??

Hey,

Shuddup you guys, I'm still watching it........:p

I'm reminded of the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons I used to watch as a kid...............

*Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"

Wouldn't be surprised at all if JWH pulls it off........

ciao

Nor

As an immigrant who is going to vote this election, i dont have the same historical knowledge and perspective that most of the people have.

In that sense apart from the fact that people want to a change in the govt. i really dont understand what is driving rudd's popularity.

A simple difference that in understand (and which determines my vote atleast) is that Liberals believe in returning extra money to tax payers who paid it in first place vs labor who believe in subsidizing here and there as if child care and all its rebate are not complex enough already.

Concessions on Laptops etc are not going to do interest rates any good either so that argument also doesnt stand...

IMHO just give the surplus back to the taxpayer and let them decide what they want to spend on.

With Labor agreeing to most of what Howard proposes i cant seem to trust that Rudd's team as what it takes to deliver once in power...

A slick, media savvy wet behind the ears new boy vs a tried and tested experienced manager of a nation.

John Howard inherited a basket case economy with 96 Billion worth of debt, overspent by the previous Labor Govt. He wiped their appalling mess up, and saved over 8 Billion every year in foreign interest payments to unknown offshore Banks.

That 8 Billion a year can now be spent on Australians.

Howard was in parliament about 25 years before Kevvy baby arrived, and was doing a sterling job as PM for a full 3 years before the other even showed up.

Rudd doesn't have the qualifications to even stand in the same room as Howard.

Hopefully the worm (I watched the ABC version without the worm) is right again. Whoever that thing favours loses the election.

There's only one poll that counts, and many in the marginal seats don't make up their mind until about mid-afternoon on polling day....everything that goes beforehand is fluff and wind.

I'm planning on developing some property in the next 5 or so years. I shudder to think of the union power against my endeavours. Every investor and property focussed individual should be rightfully wary of the Union stacked and controlled Labor Party.

I've never been a "party voter" and probably never will be. Howard never has been a convincing speaker so the outcome of the debate should have been considered a foregone conclusion, unfortunately, whenever I hear Rudd speak, I can't help thinking of the words to a Steve earle song............

"Ladies and gentlemen, attention please
Come in close so everyone can see
I got a tale to tell
A listen don't cost a dime
And if you believe that we're gonna get along just fine

Now I've been travelin' all around
I heard trouble's come to your town
Well I've got a little somethin'
Guaranteed to ease your mind
It's call Snake Oil y'all
It's been around for a long, long time

Say, your crops'll burn if it don't rain soon
Ain't seen a drop since the tenth of June
Well I can open up the sky
People never fear
If you ain't impressed yet, just tell me what you wanna hear

Well you lost your farm so you moved to town
You get a job, they shut the factory down
Now you sit around all day long feelin' sad and blue
You need Snake Oil y'all, tell you what I'm gonna do

I can heal the sick, I can mend the lame
And the blind shall see again, it's all the same.................."

Dazzling, Rudd isn't just "slick", he's slippery ;) .

:cool:

Both a pair of BS polie's but

One's got runs on the board

The other I'd want on the high school debating team

Plus the fact that the worm was going down before JH drew breath seemed very sus.

As they said, historicaly the winner of the debate loses the election, so I don't think it means anything.

Dave

Back