If the worm is right....Howard is on life support...

I like the Liberals economic credentials but absolutely nothing else about them; everything from the environment, industrial relations, lack of accountability over awb/children overboard/iraq war and numerious instances of religious doctrine being implemented as government policy.

However my local Liberal member is Petro Georgio, one of the very few moderate liberals left in the party. He has been able to achieve some important concessions on social policy which would not have been possible if he wasn't a member of the government.

I haven't yet decided then whether I give my vote to Petro because I think he's done a tremendous (and effective) job under very difficult conditions. Or whether I vote for the labor candidate who I don't know from a bar of soap simply because I like Rudd.

Where did get the '8%' figure from ?

My figure is not entirely accurate.

Since then solar cells efficiencies have improved from 6% to 15% with experimental cells reaching efficiencies over 40%.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power

Solar cells produce DC which must be converted to AC (using a grid tie inverter) when used in currently existing distribution grids. This incurs an energy loss of 4-12%.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaics

Way off topic but Saturday went to Sustainablity Expo and there is lot of spin on energy future, that makes Pollies like choir boys as to honesty.

Reminds me of the old joke about IT v Cars salesmen.

What is the difference between and IT salesman and a Car Salesman?

The Car Salesmen knows when he is telling you lies.

BTW at the expo some good stuff is coming but as always the best to solutions are the simplest like this one:

A new age lighting supplier was extolling how this new compact fluro min-light was XXX% better than the standard low voltage fluro. She deftly avoiding answering my questions about reduction in lamp life (claimed to be 15,000 hours against 5,000 for Low Voltage) until we were alone and then, yes , frequent switching, aka usual bedroom use would lesson the life and increase the changeover cost. AND there goes the $$$ savings and the green in increased manufacturer energy use.

Anyhow GE was there in another stall and his counter to the ducious savings in energy use was simple, when your LV bulb next goes, simply replace the typical 50W with a 20W and more than half your costs with no extra fittings. In most circumstance like kitchen etc.. it makes little difference.

Simple hey!

Peter

I reckon if I have opposing views to you, I'm satisfied that I'm on the right track.

Thank you. Now will you get off your bloody soap box and stop bagging everyone who doesn't see life in the right/left, black/white terms you do? I personally disagree with the substance of your political beliefs and I particularly disagree with your assumption that I need to be shouted at like a backward child.

Who are you ?? ...when was I talking to you ??

I don't give a rats whether you agree or disagree...on any subject at all.

"Who am I?" (1) The "I" was used in the context of the "Royal We". I took it upon myself to speak on behalf of the softly spoken majority here. I do not expect support however.

"Who am I?" (2) Possibly explained better in the negative. "I am not a bombast!"

"Do you care?" Obviously you do. Why else would you abuse me?

Peter, you said:

"Wife (who is apolitical) said "Rudd read from a script almost all the time" He did not inspire her."

Peter your wife must have been watching a different debate to the one I was watching.

Peter, you said:

"Wife (who is apolitical) said "Rudd read from a script almost all the time" He did not inspire her."

Peter your wife must have been watching a different debate to the one I was watching.

I got the same feeling. He kept trotting out his rehearsed lines and catch phrases like "national broadband", "education revolution" and just in general seemed to go into programmed responses, with all the right pauses for effect and smiles at the right time.

I seem to be in the overwhelming minority that believes Howard won the debate.

Yep, sorry Steve, I think Rudd won the debate, mainly because Howard looked so rattled. ALthough Rudd did get way more airplay because his answers were so wordy, yet at one stage the adjudicator stopped Howard from talking in the spirit of equal time - guess he must have fallen asleep when Rudd was talking.

Having said that, there is no way the unionists in the Party would truly identify with Rudd. Which is why I see the risk of him being exited within 12 months should they win the election.

Yep, sorry Steve, I think Rudd won the debate, mainly because Howard looked so rattled. ALthough Rudd did get way more airplay because his answers were so wordy, yet at one stage the adjudicator stopped Howard from talking in the spirit of equal time - guess he must have fallen asleep when Rudd was talking.

Having said that, there is no way the unionists in the Party would truly identify with Rudd. Which is why I see the risk of him being exited within 12 months should they win the election.

I know what you mean about Howard, but I've noticed that in general about him. On a lot of public speaking occasions (ie. press confrences etc) he looks sad, or partially frowning and overly serious. I think that's just his natural expression. To be honest, I'd prefer that to a big fake cheesy grin you see being sported by others such as Rudd and Costello at press confrences.

Gee it's funny how you see things differently when your fairly heavily biased towards one side. I thought that for the first half at least, the time was biased more towards Howard. Oh well... :confused:

At least this election round we don't seem to be having Labor use much of the quote that is God knows how old of Howard saying "we will not introduce a GST." That's one of my pet peeves - yes he said that, but then he went to an election openly saying the positions changed, and if re-elected, they would introduce one.

It also bugs me when the constantly attack him on (from memory) 5 interest rate rises in the last 2yrs. They never mention that we're still at relatively record low rates, despite a huge economic boom. All just meant to appeal to the people that don't understand how the economy works, and just hear the catch cry "5 rises." I really wish he would fight back harder on that topic and illustrate how relatively low we still are despite all the pressures to bring them up over the last few years. Then they bring up we've gone up 2.25% since 2002 (?) - well I personally had no expectation that rates would stay in the 5% level for a prolonged period of years, not with the economy picking up like it did.

But I'm waffling, so I'll shut up.;)

I agree but I expected MORE from Rudd. Not script. Call me an idealist but I want my PM with vision! I want JFK! Not slogans.

It seems the majority are still with Rudd, Peter

I agree but I expected MORE from Rudd. Not script. Call me an idealist but I want my PM with vision! I want JFK! Not slogans.

It seems the majority are still with Rudd, Peter

Well said. I watched "Bobby" last night.

Made me a bit sad that we really don't have political leaders like this in the world anymore.

I don't really have much faith in the worm either, there's a "silent majority" who have voted the libs in the last few elections, and despite labour being strong, it wouldn't surprise me to see the libs win. We'll see on the day I guess!

John Howard inherited a basket case economy with 96 Billion worth of debt, overspent by the previous Labor Govt. He wiped their appalling mess up, and saved over 8 Billion every year in foreign interest payments to unknown offshore Banks.

That 8 Billion a year can now be spent on Australians.

Howard was in parliament about 25 years before Kevvy baby arrived, and was doing a sterling job as PM for a full 3 years before the other even showed up.

Let's see what Wikipedia has to say about what Keating/Hawke inherited from Treasurer John Howard

... Keating succeeded John Howard in the position, and with it an economy that needed much attention. During Howard's tenure as treasurer, inflation had peaked at 12.5% in September 1982, [3] and interest rates peaked at 22% on 8 April 1982.[4]

The Hawke/Keating governments were able to lower the inherited high interest rates and inflation, and also to keep inflation mostly under control, except for some periods of high inflation. However, the inflation rate under Hawke and Keating did not exceed 10 per cent.

Keating is often criticised for letting interest rates get too high, and indeed, as Treasurer and Prime Minister, Keating presided over several periods of very high interest rates. Keating also attacked Howard for allegedly lying to Parliament about the size of the budget deficit that had been left by the outgoing government. (see: RBA: Bulletin Statistical Tables for interest rate data and RBA: Measures of Consumer Price Inflation for inflation data)

After a difficult start, Keating mastered economic policy and was soon acknowledged as the driving political force behind many of the microeconomic reforms of the Hawke government. Under his and the Keating governments from 1983 to 1996, Labor pursued many economic policies associated with economic rationalism and the "Third Way", such as floating the Australian Dollar in 1983, reductions in trade tariffs, taxation reforms, changing from centralised wage-fixing to enterprise bargaining, the privatisation of Qantas and Commonwealth Bank, and deregulating the banking system. ...

(emphasis mine)

Howard had a lot of the groundwork laid for him by a Labour govt. There was also a lot of excess capacity in the economy that has enabled things to boom, and Howard has done very little to increase this, hence we're hitting the limits.

Never forget the resources boom is a large part of Australia's economic success. It's a bit like Venezuela or Russia, sure they're doing well while oil prices are at record highs, but when they drop who knows what will happen.

Similarly, when the resource boom ends, what's going to happen to Australia's economy? A rising tide lifts all ships, and Howard has had a very comfortable cushion to ride up on. Sure, he has done well in letting the economy grow and take advantage of the boom, but it's not like Howard/Costello have some economic mastery that created it.

If you've seen the state of public schools, public hospitals, public infrastructure, its terrible. Instead of investing in these, the Howard government uses the surplus to buy votes (through tax cuts and other election winning strategies) to keep their grip on power. Things are already bad, and if nothing is done imagine the state of them in 20 years when we don't have the resource boom to prop us up. Oh well, who cares as long as we're getting rich, right?

Good Post AYB.

What it tells me is a Gov starts poorly, then goes well and ends lazy. Lib or Labour.

Is that more about economic cycles then managment?

I admist Labour did some good things but Libs did too. The GST was good reform and it took a lot of courage for the Libs to put that as a policy. I voted Lib becasue it was a reformer. Where is the reform in either party now?

What I noticed in the debate was two choices.

If you accept that both are good managers then:

• Libs give you the money and let you spend as you wish.
  • Labour give you some money but put some in focussed areas for the good of some.

If you are in the some ( child care user, etc...) that good but how does that help pensioners, DINK, yuppies? Parents with kids at school?

But maybe we cannot please all the people all of the time?

Peter
Peter

If you've seen the state of public schools, public hospitals, public infrastructure, its terrible.

But aren't the majority of these initially state responsibilties, states which are currently all under Labour governments. To me, this raises serious questions about the economic management abilities of some of our state governments who appear to expect ever increasing handouts from above.

Back