Is anybody doing it alone???

OK, Whats the go here?

From all the replies it seems like only Married people are allowed to invest?

LOL, lets hear some stories from the Bachelors or the Bacherettes!

Yes, I have started my path to financial freedom and yes I am doing it without an intiment partner.

:D :D :D

amokk20us said:

:) :)

Ok, Ok, I am a Bachelorette who is running the path to financial freedom alone.

The upside
  1. I dont have to get anyone's permission to get into massive debt
  2. If I run into trouble, I only have myself to blame and myself to worry about
  3. I can work anywhere doing jobs along the spectrum, ie Qualified jobs if available or a menial job if it came down to that
  4. I can pat myself on the back when i do well and celebrate with a glass of champagne whilst sitting in my beautiful courtyard

The downside
  1. most men I have met get very intimidated by women who are very financial independant and they either are very impressed or run in the opposite direction
  2. I only have myself to run things past or friends/family etc. It would be nice to have a partner who we can invest together and run things past each other.
  3. you get used to being a oneman (women) band so it might be a bit harder to involve someone down the track or let go of some of the control
  4. I have just bought a beachouse, I hope that I can one day have a husband and children to fill it up with ;) ;) ;)

Seriously though, I know one day that I will be able to involve the right person and the main criteria is that they will need to be supportive of the direction I want to go financially.

I am not that concerned if they dont have a trillion houses or invest on a major basis if at all, they just need to be open to the idea and not dead against investing.

Best Wishes

Corsa

amokk20us said:
OK, Whats the go here?

Yes, I have started my path to financial freedom and yes I am doing it without an intiment partner.

:D :D :D

Well, I suppose I'm a "bachelor", and have yet to start my own path to financial freedom. Though I think, with the researching I have been doing, that I have somewhat taken the first small steps in the "journey of 1000 miles".

Also, none of my family or friends seem to be interested in investing(*), so there's no one to discuss investing with, (except for the people on this forum), so I guess, like Corsa said above, that that is definitely a downside.

(*): I suppose that at just 20, who would expect 20 y.o. friends to be interested in finance when there's cars, alcohol, and girls... :p

Oh well, I believe that the journey will pan out how it is meant to pan out. :)

My $0.02, (after tax).

some advice

To our single investing friends, some advice

When looking at prospective partners dont judge them by there interest in financial matters. Theres heaps more important things. There will never be any guarantees. Your best bet is to look for a partner thats interested in taking lifes journey WITH you. You dont wanna be knocking heads about a number of things like, children, where to live, whose inlaws to see this weekend and yes what to do with ones finances. Be the type of person that wants to grow and prosper and find someone that shares your overall general ideology.

And rememeber most importantly they should have nice teeth. If the parents own a pub then thats also an advantage (although victorian land tax is another story)

good luck

aussierogue said:
To our single investing friends, some advice

When looking at prospective partners dont judge them by there interest in financial matters. Theres heaps more important things. There will never be any guarantees. Your best bet is to look for a partner thats interested in taking lifes journey WITH you. You dont wanna be knocking heads about a number of things like, children, where to live, whose inlaws to see this weekend and yes what to do with ones finances. Be the type of person that wants to grow and prosper and find someone that shares your overall general ideology.

And rememeber most importantly they should have nice teeth. If the parents own a pub then thats also an advantage (although victorian land tax is another story)

good luck

Nice teeth. Gotcha! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips, aussierogue. :)

Personally I think a sense of humour is essential in your partner! :D
I have dragged hubby kicking and screaming (okay, not really) through our investment journey. Certainly I'm the one who runs it all, and initially he was very resistant. Then he read "rich Dad, Poor Dad" and the light came on.
I wouldn't describe him as overly interested in knowing all the ins and outs of what I do, but certainly he's very supportive and always ready to mow a lawn ;)
I find it funny now that when we talk to people about investing, it's hubby who's the over the top enthusiastic one about what we do!
Mind you, I suppose he has seen the fruits of my madness - he can now indulge his passion for working with primary school age kids at risk, because he's no longer chained to a job.
In the end, we did it all one step at a time. I'd be a couple of steps ahead, I'd wait patiently for him to take the next step forward, then off I'd go again.

Hiya Ronulas,

Ronulas said:
I said, ask the boy to lend him $2 and you would give him back $2.20. Take the $2.00 and buy the pen for $1.50. (As my lad knows the market for pacer pens at school he knows what he could sell one for) Show the boy the new pacer pen Kallum had just bought and offer to sell it to him for the fantastic price of $3.00. ;) Once deal was settled then pay back the kid his $2.20 making a profit of 80c (thats big money to a kid :) )using absolutly nothing of his own money.

Wow thats fantastic. You do realise though, that you need a license to do this tho? CHeck with teh Pens Estate Insitute in your state :p :p

dtraeger2k said:
Hiya Ronulas,

ow thats fantastic. You do realise though, that you need a license to do this tho? CHeck with teh Pens Estate Insitute in your state :p :p

And that's just the beginning!

I can think of the following being needed:

a. The boy who made the loan really needs a Credit Providers Licence. Depending on the term, 10% interest could be considered usury. However given that there is no security involved, it could still be reasonable, especially if the lender is on good terms with the school bully. If so, the interest rate might have to be increased to 15% to cover 'security' and 'enforcement in the case of default' expenses.

Another complication is that some state governments have sought to regulate those sleazy 'pocketmoney payday lender' establishments, particularly those near lolly shops, Timezone parlours and iPOD retailers.

b. GST registration (if you sell more than 16 666 pens). Even if you sell less than that it might still be in your best interests to do so in order to claim Inkput Tax Credits. An APN would also be desirable. Be aware that substantial PENalties apply for non-compliance and you wouldn't want that to happen.

c. INKome tax return. I think it's if you make over $416 or some such amount, which is quite a possibility. Luckily you won't have a shortage of pens to fill out the mountains of paperwork. But don't forget to write this off as a claimable expense as failure to do so will be a blot on your character for life.

d. Hawkers permit. Required to conduct business on the premises. Also if all students spend all their time buying pens, note that the primary purpose of the school building has changed from 'educational' to 'retail' precinct, and you will need a change to the local council's zoning to accommodate this change of land use. In practice this should not be a problem as rate revenue should be increased.

e. Noting that the transactions are being done on government property, you are bound by EEO, OH&S and anti-discrimination requirements as they would apply to government departments. You could be written up if you don't.

Only after all these criteria have been satisfied will you be able to oPEN for business.

Peter the dreamstealer

Kids should pay tax

What an opportunity to introduce him to the full reality of business then, don't start too late with kids :)

Peter 147 said:
Maybe we can start a SIG support Group for Lone Male Investors. :confused:

Maybe we could start one for the Lone Female Investors too :p
At least I only have myself to bore with the details of my next investment ;)

Everything Corsa has said I agree with - I was going to post the same thing :) except I have bought a house near the beach (~1km) not 'by the beach' - that's the next one maybe ;)

Each time I buy a house a little voice starts in my head - who will pay these bills/mortgages when I decide to have kids?? It's not a guarantee I'll find a husband in my timeframe for babies and if I rely on him to subsidise my mortgages then he will have access to take what I've built up if we do split (no I'm not a pessimist but who knows what may happen down the track)......I think it's time I see a financial planner so I can start working towards a portfolio that doesn't rely on somebody to keep me above water whilst I'm off work.

This is the only thing that is holding me back at the moment - so there you have it - my deepest darkest thoughts......which by the way are not insurmountable :D it just requires a plan
Ecogirl

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am doing the property investing about 80% on my own. Hubby ( Peter is very supportive and has 100% faith in my abilities to invest.
I am the one that sources the finance, does the bookkeeping, accounting,
and the daily paperwork of it all.
I am also the one that sources the property and buys. On 3 occasions I have
come home with " Hey peter, I just purchased some land"
His response " Great.! Where ? How much?"

When he has free time as he works full- time he enjoys looking at property immensely.
We have had 2 houses that have just been completed and he has taken
1 week of holidays to complete landscaping works. So when I do need the
help I know I can count on him.

So he does help in little ways, but the sole responsibility is on me.

I am also more adept in the day to day running of our property investing.
Sourcing finance, account keeping , budget planning , risk and goal planning.
I love figures and debt and understand it a lot better than Peter.
I Love reading property books, magazines and Forums and attending seminars.
Peter is opposite, but when need be, he will attend a seminar.
He did post on the Forum in the early days, but has since stopped.

I have accepted that I am more passionate about property than he is, and that it Fine by me.

Have a Great day
Marina.

I must be in the very lucky category.... :)

My wife and I pretty much work as a team, doing different things.

I am the "dreamer" or the "entrepreneurial spirit" of the two. I come up with wild ideas and dreams, and a basic path to how I think we should get there. I devise the strategies and plans.

She is the "manager". She takes those ideas and makes sure they are workable, legal and essentially makes sure my feet are on the ground. She does the very heavy task of administration, making sure bills are paid, rents are in, taxes reviewed etc etc.

Cheers,

The Y-man

In regard to Is anybody doing it alone???

"Don't ask, don't tell, and for God's sake, don't talk about playing with yourself."
Brad L. Graham :D

(Quote in regard to the sacking of Joycelyn Elders sacking as America Surgeon General in 1994 due to her recommendation that some information about masturbation should be included in topics covered in schools sex education classes)

I remember going to some sort of investing night, and as usual I was the only female there by myself. Afterwards a guy came up and asked if I'd like to go out for a coffee. I said I'll just ring my hubby and check, and he was so embarrassed! I have to say, though, that I thought it was an enormously sensible step for him to take - why not try and find a partner who might share his dream of investing? It's got to be a better start than picking someone up in a bar.... :p

Property Partners

Lissy said:
...why not try and find a partner who might share his dream of investing? It's got to be a better start than picking someone up in a bar.... :p

Plus, they would likely come with a ready-made property portfolio (saves a lot of time !) :D

Hi everyone,

I'll join the Lone Female Investors Club, want me to be the President???
I find it incredibly difficult to find a man who has similar goals and dreams.

I totally agree with Ecogirl when she says "Each time I buy a house a little voice starts in my head - who will pay these bills/mortgages when/if I decide to have kids??"

Like Corsa, I also find that "most men I have met get very intimidated by women who are financial independant and they either are very impressed or run in the opposite direction"

I've practiced "delayed gratification" for many years to build my portfolio and it's sad to think that a man could sweep me off my feet just to take half. It's a shame because it makes me suspicious of a man's intentions.

Cheers,
Crystal

Last edited:
Men are getting a bad name

Crystal said:
Hi everyone,

It's a shame because it makes me even more suspicious of a man's intentions than I used to be!!

Cheers,
Crystal

Gee Crystal,

I feel so bad that you feel that way about men. Trust me when I say we are not all like that. I think men start to open their minds about property alot later than a woman does.

If you do find a guy you are interested in then he should have no hesitation signing a pre-nup agreement. If after a few years of investing his time, money and interest in property then maybe you could revise the situation when you feel safe.

It is such a pity that a few bad eggs give us genuine guys a bad name. shame shame shame :mad:

Back