Liberals - policies may cause a recession??

Wow

The libs have been in for over 4 months....and what disaster...I know some will say labor had caused all this....but the Liberals don't have a plan.

Here are some of my concerns:

1. Their diplomacy skills are non exisitent.....they have riled our key trading partners...Indonesia..and China...they seem to have gone to the old Anglo-centric view of the world..

2. They have ill thought out policies...they withdrawn support from any industries which are not sustainable over the long run ...car, Qantas, manufacturing. Whilst I agree that these industries cannot kept going due to high labor costs....this needs to be planned otherwise the displacement of people from jobs and thus spending in the economy will drop and cause confidence to drop thus causing further job losses unnecessarily.

3. The have failed on immigration....even China a country with poor human rights absuses have spoken out against Australia.

4. No transparency on what they are doing...Scott Morrison, George Brandis are all claiming that this being kept for secrecy reasons...what a bunch of hogwash...we are now officially living in a police state.

5. Joe Hockey is the most negative treasurer to date. All he talks about is cuts Health, Pensions, Centreline, Jobs.....this is not good as it affects confidence.

It will certainly be interesting to see if this is a one term government...I don't think the Australian public is impressed by the current government's track record to date.

Would love to hear constructive discussions.....failed liberal politicians need not reply! :)

Lol. The Liberal Party and facts should not be in the same sentence. They get an F for any sort of evidence-based policy. Three words slogans? Top of the class.

What has that got to do with the question of facts in this post?

You know what they really funny thing is though, the biggest sprouters of three word slogans are those always complaining of three word slogans. It is the default criticism. It's like they don't get that three word slogans is a three word slogan. :D

Yep shouldn't be too long now before all the old Howard terms start coming back.
Like , skill shortage in Australia.
Can't get training in Australia.
Can't get into uni in Australia.
Can't manufacture any more .
Can't get medical care anymore or doctors or surgery in Australia.
Can't afford to send you kids to school anymore , actually our fees are already up 1200 bucks thanks to Abbot.
Average people won't be able to buy a house again although this time they look like killing manufacturing of completely so with unemployment at least house prices might stay down but hang on that's right . No on will be able to get their lone anyway because the were 5days late paying a few bills.
There'll be teacher shortages again because they won't pay them and schools falling to bits again because they won't spend any money on them either .
Oh yeah and the really sad stuff like our closest neighbours wanting to blow us all up again.
Just to name a few .

Ahh the good old days.

Yeah those Howard years were positively crippling:rolleyes:

You know what they really funny thing is though, the biggest sprouters of three word slogans are those always complaining of three word slogans. It is the default criticism. It's like they don't get that three word slogans is a three word slogan. :D

It has everything to do with it. When was the last time the current Liberal government made a policy decision based on established evidence? If anything, most of their biggest policies (in terms of visibility, promotion, etc) are contrary to the facts on the issue. Making some clever/ironic comment at the end of your post doesn't suddenly give the party some credibility. If you think they're so great, why don't you provide the facts? The onus is on a personal making a positive claim to show evidence.

I love how you conveniently ignored my second post as well.

If you think they're so great, why don't you provide the facts? The onus is on a personal making a positive claim to show evidence.

I am with Hoffy. Lib's have historical track record of achieving the hardest thing for any government to do and that is to run the country and live within it's means (aka surplus budgets).

You can't have hospitals, welfare, schools, infrastructure if you got no money can you? Sure, everyone likes the Labour government because they always spend money but that is the easiest thing to do. Anybody can spend money. For eg. anyone can go buy property if someone lend them the deposit amount, but not everyone can save the deposit. Saving is not easy.

If anyone expected $1000s handouts they got from Labour was free lunch they would be very disappointed as all the debt the labour government piled up during 6 years has to be paid back with interest. And to pay that debt back hard decisions needs to be made. Unless, someone can come up with a brilliant idea of repaying the debt while continuing welfare payments and spending.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Yep shouldn't be too long now before all the old Howard terms start coming back.
Like , skill shortage in Australia.
Can't get training in Australia.
Can't get into uni in Australia.
Or under Gillard:
Can't afford training in Australia.
Can't afford uni in Australia.
... because she jacked up uni fees, cut the up front payment discount and axed the voluntary repayment co-contribution. I would have gone to uni during Gillard's reign of slash and burn policies, if I could have afforded it.

Wasn't the last Labor campaign slogan a three word slogan? What was it again?

It has everything to do with it. When was the last time the current Liberal government made a policy decision based on established evidence? If anything, most of their biggest policies (in terms of visibility, promotion, etc) are contrary to the facts on the issue.
When did the previous Labor government make a policy decision based on established evidence? They
-burned down some houses
-build some overpriced school halls and call it a revolution
-cut support for students (evidence based?), jacked up health care costs
-started to construct NBN (based on what evidence?)
-introduced some levies
-told same sex couples to get stuffed (evidence based policy?)

Umm... yeah. That was a real winner government right there.

Kevin Oh 7?
Kevin September 11?
Ditch the Witch?
Red Budgies Rule?

My mistake. It wasn't. It was the nonsensical back to the future slogan after they ousted ol' Julia for recycled Rudd:

"A New Way for the Future"

A New Way with a recycled leader.

Recycled slogan, recycled policies, recycled leader. The most hilarious thing about the whole campaign was when ol' Ruddy recycled one of the dumbest Liberal Party policies every.. northern development zone.

Can you define the "Anglo centric view" for us and demonstrate what they have done that falls within this classification?

What this means is having foreign policy similar to the Menzies era..another only trust people who speak English - i.e. Canada, NZ, UK, America....everyone else to be treated with suspicion. It also conveniently ignores the importance of countires like China and Indonesia who are far more important than any of the above.2.

Can you run us through what support they have withdrawn from Qantas?
Well they have not yet....but are between the devil and deep blue sea....they would if they could bu the outrage would sink them. A little birdie told me that Qantas will cut between around 3000 jobs. A couple friends have lost their jobs alreafy.3. The have failed on immigration....even China a country with poor human rights absuses have spoken out against Australia.

Can you explain how achieving their election commitment is a failure? What credibility do China have with regard to lecturing on human rights?
Mate is not only China ..how embarassing is it when Australia continues to get on the radar for human rights abuses!4.

No transparency on what they are doing...Scott Morrison, George Brandis are all claiming that this being kept for secrecy reasons...what a bunch of hogwash...we are now officially living in a police state.

Can you define Police State and give examples of how we are living in one? OK ..how about ASIO assessment of 90 individuals as security risks who came as refugees..yet can't show how they are a risk..is this dumb and dumber. Guess what? They are beng held without charges..some for up to 4 years...sound like South Africa under Apartheid! What about the bungling clowns at the AFP stuffing up the riad on Seven to ensure that they are not paying Corby...have they got more important things to do. What about Dr Haneef?? Get my drift??5. Joe Hockey is the most negative treasurer to date. All he talks about is cuts Health, Pensions, Centreline, Jobs.....this is not good as it affects confidence.

Consumer confidence is down since the election, can you provide evidence this is due to LNP policies? Or could it be due to the fact that Australians now have a clearer view of the state of play
Well it is the approach and policies which have lead to the lack of confidence. Change has to be introduced with a plan....I don't think the LIBs have a plan on how to get rid of subsidised industries whilst also providing jobs to replace from new industries.It will certainly be interesting to see if this is a one term government...I don't think the Australian public is impressed by the current government's track record to date.

Another interesting opinion. Wasn't reflected in the recent Griffith election though. Even more people voted LNP than did in the general election.
Lets see what happens at the next Federal election......

You are from Qld...what is the probability the Newman govt will be elected for a second term???
Sorry for all the questions. You mentioned you like to discuss facts, but you original post was merely a list of opinions.

I think you are projecting your views onto the Australian people. Fact is that they won the election, are getting things done, and the recent job losses etc are more a product of the ALP's failed policies than the LNP's who have only been in power for less than 6 months.

You can blame the unions for all the job losses and companies walking out the door. That's why everyone is losing jobs. This country doesn't need unions! Yes I'm apart of one well was now not I'd rather go a lower pay than fight for another increase and loose my job. I've only been back in Vic for 3 months and this state is utterly ****ed. House prices sky high jobs left right n centre going

You can blame labor for this mess libs are trying to fix this country of what labor did.

Now shell is leaving too. Geelong is looking at a recession just in itself!! Glad I'm moving back to nt cause **** only going to get worse.

Nick

Lib's have historical track record of achieving the hardest thing for any government to do and that is to run the country and live within it's means (aka surplus budgets).

Yep. The libs are doing a great job so far.

Got the queue jumping boat loads under control, or soon will have anyway.
Running a country is just a bit harder if you run it responsibly. It will take some years and a bit of hardship to get things in order again.

See ya's.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW I'm with Geoff. It is simply too early to make any assessment based on economic record.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the goverment is going well so far. How refreshing is it that you don't hear from them hardly ever. They just put their heads down and get the job done unlike Labor with their showboating on the nightly news for the past 6 years.

Ohhhh looky! I cut myself shaving!!! Who gives a toss?

I think the Libs so far are just telling it like it is and people don't want to hear it. I applaud them for that.

I think the Libs so far are just telling it like it is and people don't want to hear it. I applaud them for that.

Yep, the spendathon is over folks, back to work for your money.

No more handouts willy nilly.

That's bringing the US down, Obama and his democrats want big govt in order to look after every part of peoples lives so they can control them.

The masses fall for it cause it "free" money.

We all know there is no free lunch.

Please dont let that happen here.

It has everything to do with it. When was the last time the current Liberal government made a policy decision based on established evidence? If anything, most of their biggest policies (in terms of visibility, promotion, etc) are contrary to the facts on the issue. Making some clever/ironic comment at the end of your post doesn't suddenly give the party some credibility. If you think they're so great, why don't you provide the facts? The onus is on a personal making a positive claim to show evidence.

I love how you conveniently ignored my second post as well.

Lol, you think your every post is worthy of a response?? Well it wasn't. But if you want one, here it is: I don't talk in hypotheticals:rolleyes:

No the onus is on the person making the claims to back them up. The OP strung together a list of opinions with no evidence. I simply asked for some. But nice try.

But hey what about the policy to prevent thousands of asylum seekers drowning at sea: based on evidence of it working last time, they re-introduced it after the ALP lured so any to their deaths. Low and behold......

I am with Hoffy. Lib's have historical track record of achieving the hardest thing for any government to do and that is to run the country and live within it's means (aka surplus budgets).

Cheers,
Oracle.

You need to take a look at net government debt as a proportion of GDP through the last 40 years and see that the above remark is false.

Under the Fraser/Howard government the government went from having negative net debt in 1976 (i.e more assets than liabilities) to net debt equivalent to around 7.5% of GDP when they were voted out in 1983. John Howard is the only treasurer in Australian history to preside over double-digit inflation, double-digit official interest rates, and double-digit unemployment *at the same time*. His covering up of the debt problem in the '83 election campaign led to Keating inventing the now time-honoured tradition of the "cupboard is bare" speech, reprised by Costello in '96.

Under Hawke/Keating, net debt to GDP was more than halved between 83 and 89-90, before blowing out again during/after the 91 recession "we had to have". Net debt peaked in 95-96, Keating was turfed, and the Howard government saw net debt return to a negative in the 00's.

Between world wide recessions and other crises, I don't see a lot of difference between the 2 major parties on balancing budgets and reducing debt, both sides have overseen blowouts and fiscal consolidations. Beyond *some* genuine macro-economic and industrial reform, our fortunes seem to rise and fall with the global tide rather than any genius on the part of a government or political party.

medical tourism = going overseas for your medical treatment while having a holiday. think fake boobs, though not the area of medicine I work in.

Back