Must Haves for Babies

I am a clueless soon to be mother. I am aboutttt halfway through and I just want to be prepared as to what items we need and just ignore the stuff that are cute and don't need.

What are the must have items?

So far I have a high chair ($40 second hand, Sister in law says it's a good brand and brand new) .. that's about it! :)

for future ref, the ikea high chairs for about $20 are excellent. you will need a square of plastic to go under it (can buy them somewhere?) which is easier to wipe food off than the floor. There's not a whole lot you need besides the obvious nappies, cot, some bath wash, car seat, dummies if you chose to use them. Simple jumps suits are all you 'll use for now too

What I think you DON'T need is -

* baby bath (those plastic tub things, painful, just use your normal bath tub)
* baby powder - bad for lungs even tho people insist on giving it to you
* those peanut shaped nursing pillows - useless
* endless cotton buds... you'll use a few
* baby reeboks - they'll outgrow them before they walk
* fancy and fiddly clothes with lots of buttons and clasps

A loving mother that doesn't shriek at the kids at the top of her lungs like the b**ch next door does

A loving father that is there for the kids (like my father wasn't)

Soft shoes for the kiddies that like running up and down polished floor hallways, waking neighbours up at 5-00am

A ball gag for keeping kiddies (and mothers) shrieking to a muffled level.

These are must have items IMHO

Dave

basinet (if you want bub in your room for the first 3 months)
cloth nappies - not for their bottoms, but for over your shoulder to catch the vomit
wipes (huggies are best - they're thicker and don't contain mineral oil)
nappies
cot
big bag that carries spare change of clothes, nappies and more vomit cloths
bottles and teats and forumla (if you decide to bottle feed) You'll need about 8 bottles and teats to begin with if you only want to wash them once a day
electric steriliser (if you bottle feed)
kettle (for boiled water if you bottle feed)
formula (if you decide to bottle feed) I used Nan HA 1 Gold for both my kids- for some reason the hospitals said that the baby's can digest it better, but they're probably all the same anyway
baby seat for car
clothes (just all-in-ones will do till they're about 6 months old)
nail clippers (their nails grow really fast)
mittens (they get cold)
bunny rugs and wraps
pram (one that the back lays down completely)
olive oil (to warm up and rub on their tummy when they get wind)
aspirator (it's a bubble thing that sucks the snot out of their noses when they get blocked)
thermometre
johnsons all in one baby bath. also get some of the purple one, called Bedtime something or other...really does help relax them

hmmmm

can't think of anything else at the moment

congratulations by the way

Don't forget a change table. People told us not to bother about it and just do it on the floor or bed. Forget that, save you back and get a change table.

also,

agree with Ausprops Don't list, and I'll add to that:

baby change table, just do it on the lounge

also, get 2 tubs of wipes, one for the lounge room and one for your bedroom for the middle of the night changes for the first 3 months...

also, get HEAPS of sleep NOW

can I suggest just one more thing....

get ONE, and only ONE person who's been there, done that, who you can talk with and seek advice from.

so many people want to offer words of advice and wisdom, and it ends up confusing the hell out of you....

and grow some duck feathers to allow the criticism run off your back....

Don't forget a change table. People told us not to bother about it and just do it on the floor or bed. Forget that, save you back and get a change table.

Lamingtons, my wife is also about half way (23 weeks) and one thing I have realised while shopping is that the cot you get should be height-adjustable for the same reason as having a correct-height change table (your back).

I'm 19 weeks with my 3rd. All the majors have been covered. If people ask you what you would like as gifts here are some suggestions that will come in handy.

Mobile for cot (or lullaby music toy)
Bright mobile toy for car seat (Usually they either connect to the car seat strap or panic handle)
Lambs wool blanket/rug (make sure it's machine washable). Good to line the pram or cot with on cold days/nights, and good to lay on the floor for play time when it's colder.

I'd suggest you sign up to Huggies baby club - they have great offers about once per year - send in barcodes and get a play rug or tent or whatever the current offer may be.

Cheers
Buddybee

Thanks guys, i signed up to one baby forum and the hardcore women scared me. It was a little like having all these people being over excited about their pregnancies when I wasn't. This is not to say that I'm not excited but blogs on their pregnancies?? Mine is so snooze worthy .... 11.30 hungry thinking of lunch 3.30.. so hungry must have biscuits NOW repeat the next day.

Writing down a list from here. Minus the muzzle. LOL

From your perspective....

A couple of trustworthy baby sitters :)

Countless old towels to lay over the leaked milk spots on your bed so you don't have to change the sheets EVERY day. Some breasts create enough milk for quads!

Lots of frozen complete meals in the freezer.

A working washing machine and a drying rack for those wet days.

The best 0-4 car seat that you can afford (must be new and Aust Safety standard approved) and get it properly fitted. Everything else you buy can be second hand.

The contact details and meeting time for your closest mothers group ( they will help you identify that group in hospital after the birth).

All your emergency numbers on your fridge, relos, friends, Child Health Nurse, Doctor ( yours and baby's) and for moments of desperation, a couple of crisis contact numbers for the odd moment when you and the baby can't stop crying at 3 am.

Congratulations and enjoy collecting your baby bits and bobs.

Last edited:
Thanks Tizzy, this is going to sound really stupid. But a few of my friends who are mothers go on about their mothers group. I used to wonder how they 'hook up' with these groups. Oh gosh now i know the hospital provides this info!

Lamingtons,

Congratulations: Boy or girl?

Currently writing this whilst my baby is sleeping in my arms.

Don't fall for all the hype of must have this and that as it can be very expensive. You don't need many things in the first 3-4 months.

Where will the baby sleep? Same room in a cot or with you?

Living in Japan we sleep on futons/Japanese mattress on the floor so our basics are little different to most Australians. We don't use a cot basically because I'm a very light sleeper and a baby sleeps with me on the futon.

1) A night light or low bulb lamp. If one of you has to get up to feed or change then nothing is worse than a bright light waking everyone up. Babies will cry and easily feed and semi sleep with a night light but a normal light will wake them up and make it harder to go back to sleep.

2) Decide on a routine of who will feed or change when. This will depend a lot on your work schedules etc.

3) There is nothing wrong with using a bottle/formula for feeding during the night. If it is your husbands turn and you need to sleep.

4) Many debates about cloth or disposable nappies. Have some of both. Disposables are very easy to put on in the middle of the night.

5) Definitely need:
Baby Wipes, Bassinet, Bibs, Baby bath and plastic helper, plastic bags, all in one baby car seat.

Baby wipes can become a little expensive so use tissues for the first 1 or 2 wipes then finish with the moist baby wipe.

A small basinet that you can carry from room to room when you need to when baby is sleeping or if you just need to do something.

Babies need bibs as they drool, dribble, slobber you name it and clothes get marked easily. If your budget is tight then and old sheet or towel cut up into squares with a hole in the middle is just as good. Cut from one corner to center hole and put on velcros or a fastner.

Depending on your bathroom a baby bath can be very handy. Our bathroom has 2 rooms and our shower room is big enough to sit on the floor with baby bath so need for bending back etc. A helper is a plastic support that fits inside the baby bath and keeps the head up away from the water allowing you to use two hands if needed. This has probably been the best buy and so easy to use. Our shower has one of those long flexible handles so reaches the fllor easily. You can buy rubber hoses with shower heads to fit over bath taps single or double.

We have a large rug on the floor and find it easier to sit on floor with legs apart and place baby between legs for changing nappies. Don't need change table. Just have wipes, tissues, towel to put baby on and plastic bag for nappies and what ever else you need.

Plastic bags for nappies. We have two bins. Soiled nappies go in a plastic bag and then into bin lined with large plastic bag. Wet nappies go straight into second bin lined with large plastic bag. Soiled nappies do smell thus the reason for first plastic bag and the smell will remain behind in the bin even when empty.

We have been lucky and haven't need to use any oils for dry skin or baby powder etc.

Clothes definitely all in ones with press fastners and hoods. Saves having to buy extra socks and pants.

One of the biggest expenses is car seats.
We opted for the ones that have a seat with carry handle and separate base (brand is evenflo) and can be unclipped and carried inside without having to take the baby out. We use ours as a bassinet. These are good up until about 9 months then you need a normal one plus the baby is getting a little heavy to carry with one arm Ours also fits inside the pram so if the baby is sleeping in the car then just unclips the seat and put it in the pram. Also easy to carry baby in the seat with one hand and bags etc in the other. Seat also fits in shopping trolleys so another bonus.

You don't need a pram for the first 3 months and slings are easy and good if you don't have a carry style baby seat.

A topic that some will steer clear of.
For peace of mind get a SIDS mat and alarm or something similar.
Get some SIDS brochures and first aid brochures and read up on what to do if there is a problem.

As suggested earlier. Find one or two people you can talk to about things and then decide what you want to do and go with that.

I think just keep it simple for the first 3 or so months - you actually need very little for a tiny baby, and will soon work out what you do and dont like/want - there is a massive industry of gimmicky baby products out there that I swear are only marketed towards first-time mothers!! This is why the Trading Post is so full of "as new" baby products!:)

Dont go overboard on clothes and toys - every man and his dog will buy gifts when bub is born, mostly in smaller sizes..just buy the boring bits - like singlets, socks and all-in-one suits.

All the best with the rest of your pregnancy!
Nadia

Back