New puppy or not

I currently have a 14yo golden retriever who means the world to me.

I would love to get another Golden retriever, however I'm unsure how that might impact on our current dog. She is the most tolerant and patient dog, however I would hate to do something that impacted her negatively.

Has anyone introduced a new younger dog into a household with an older dog?

Would I be better to wait a few years?

Current dog is usually an active dog, however she has slowed considerably over the last few months - our cat died recently and I think there is an element of grieving involved. I was thinking a puppy might put some life back into her.

Someone is home most of the time at the moment....may not be the case in a few years.

Hmmm, I think I would probably leave it till she passes. A puppy could be quite stressful for a 14yo dog. One option to see how she copes is invite one around for a couple of hours & see what happens.....obviously you would need to find such a critter.

Puppy no not yet. 14 is very old for a retriever and as you know they get better with age. If she were slightly younger I'd say yes but she's too old now and deserves the time and attention you have for her.
There is a time for everything: grieving, being old included.
Being a golden retriever, she would never let you know how she really feels but ... puppies need a lot of time and energy.
Maybe when you do get another puppy, get 2 :)
In the end, whatever you do will be fine because you love your dog.

Golden retrievers,labradors have a great temperament.I wouldn't go the puppy path but get an older dog that's not boisterous.Never too old to teach an old dog new tricks as the saying goes.

Imo your goldy will welcome the company despite her age,the age factor is mute imo in regards to getting another dog.

Good luck.

Ps.How would you feel at age 98 without other humans around?Put yourself in the dogs paws,just saying...

I kind of agree that 14 is old for a GR (mine is 8, you can see him in my profile pic). Perhaps try getting an older dog, there's plenty of adoption sites and they'll let you trial them together to make sure it will work out.

Perhaps try getting an older dog, there's plenty of adoption sites and they'll let you trial them together to make sure it will work out.

If you're really thinking of another dog, I would agree with the above. Consider getting an older dog (doesn't have to be 10+, but atleast fully grown).

If you're really thinking of another dog, I would agree with the above. Consider getting an older dog (doesn't have to be 10+, but atleast fully grown).

I was also going to mention getting an older dog.
Maybe offer to doggie sit for a neighbour for a couple of weeks in your own home. See how your dog enjoys the company.

My GR Boofedd,with his brother Tiggggger.

Attachments

• 100_2772.jpg
    100_2772.jpg
    917.9 KB · Views: 103
Yes I say get a new puppy. I got a new Lab puppy with another dog, older dog was a rescue dog with lots of issues, very timid. We made a big fuss of older dog as she was a little jealous but she soon adapted to a bouncing energetic Lab. They are great friends. Bonus is the older dog now has a voice, we had never heard any noise come out of her mouth, she now barks when people come.

New pup also had two cats to befriend, that took longer but they all live harmoniously together.

We got a new puppy for out 2 year old golden after our other golden passed away a couple of months ago.

Goldens are such friendly dogs that I think a new little friend for them is a great idea at any age as long as they are still healthy enough for a bit a wrestle and run around the yard from time to time.

Here's a picture of mine, be warned though there is a lot of cute right there:

Attachments

• oscar and bonnie.jpeg
    oscar and bonnie.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 79
My GR Boofedd,with his brother Tiggggger.

So you have a kitty cat, don't worry then, the puppy will be taught manners by the cat when needed :p

We got a new puppy for out 2 year old golden after our other golden passed away a couple of months ago.

Goldens are such friendly dogs that I think a new little friend for them is a great idea at any age as long as they are still healthy enough for a bit a wrestle and run around the yard from time to time.

Here's a picture of mine, be warned though there is a lot of cute right there:

Very cute indeed. We need more dog thread...

Yer normally you'd expect a younger dog to "bring some life back" into a slightly older dog, but I reckon at 14 I'd just want to enjoy her for the time she has left. Maybe if she was 8-10 I'd consider it, but I think I'd prefer to just spend the time with her.

She's had a great innings already if shes' still healthy and active.

We have a 6 yr old Choc lab and a 20 mth gold lab, and the baby has been a bit of a hellraiser! The "old" boy still doesn't really know what hit him after 18 months :D

Back